Bigdog 1961

Desert Sportfisherman
Aug 1, 2015
Cave Creek AZ
Name
David Piazza
Boat
Been there done that
I want to start off saying that the New Lo Ann has been my go to boat for the last 5-6 years. Whether I caught fish or not they are a first class short trip operation. The negative I describe here is maybe just a style difference from Adam or Marcus because these two captains set such a high standard and the captain did work hard and we stayed out much out longer than we should have to try and put fish on the boat. The small complaint was when we came up on a school during the day he would say fly line a bait and then when we stopped he would say they were at a certain depth 150ft-200ft within a few minutes. With this conflicting information it was confusing whether we were fishing on the surface or at depth and this occurred multiple times during the day. Sorry I don’t have names of the crew but they were great as usual. The cook served a delicious breakfast but you had to sit down to eat it, I personally just like a breakfast burrito that I can eat In between the stops. The lunch steak sandwich was great and a nice change from a burger. Left Thursday night on a overnight trip at about 9 pm, boat was already baited up and we headed to the bluefin grounds. It was not a long a ride so no reason to leave early. We arrived out on the grounds at about 11:30 and we started dropping jigs for the big ones. On the second stop the captain called out the depth of the school that was coming through and I dropped a blue pink 250g Rip Roller to just over 300ft and started to grind it up and I hook up at the back of the boat. There were about 6-9 hook ups from what I was told but I was focused on fighting my fish and the 2-3 anglers next to me fighting their fish. I was fishing 100lb and this fish felt big but not a monster. I was fighting the fish and it crossed a few other anglers and we either cleared them ourselves and one time the deck hand stepped in to clear us from each other. I had fought this fish for about 15 minutes, was really putting a lot of pressure, and was seeing deep color and pop the line breaks. Brought the line in and the last 1 1/2 ft of 100lb mono was really rough and tore up, I guess all that crossing of lines did a number on my line. Out of the 6-9 hookups we only bring in two fish that were about 120lb. On this stop knife jigs worked the best but my buddy hooked up on a Katy Perry flat fall only to have his line break right above his braid to mono knot(?). We had maybe 4-5 stops the rest of the night with no fish except the last one at about the morning grey and I think we boat only boated 1 fish. The rest of the day was tough bluefin fishing with yellowfin acting like bluefin. We would roll up to a school they would chum, the fish would come to the surface, we would throwout baits and maybe one person would hook up. A few times we stayed on the stop and a school would come through at depth and one or two people would hook up On sinker rigs. I tried a Katy Perry sniper, a small flat fall, and a sinker rig on a couple stops with no luck. I think all day all the fish were caught on live bait except I think a older man dropped a small silver jig on the slide and hooked up twice. Unfortunately I am a slow learner but I also loaned half my reels to a friend on his first offshore fishing trip and I chose bait over a jig on the slide. My friend and myself did hook up once on stops but because we were fishing the recommended # 2 J hooks we fought the fish briefly only to have the hooks pull. I still think the New Lo Ann is one of the top 3 short trip boats I just missed Adam or Marcus, but really with the tough fishing I dont think the outcome would have been different.

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
Yep Captains Adam and Marcus are pretty special. Glad you hooked up and had fun. Bummer about your line, just bad luck there.

Reactions: woodfish330
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    I want to start off saying that the New Lo Ann has been my go to boat for the last 5-6 years. Whether I caught fish or not they are a first class short trip operation. The negative I describe here is maybe just a style difference from Adam or Marcus because these two captains set such a high standard and the captain did work hard and we stayed out much out longer than we should have to try and put fish on the boat. The small complaint was when we came up on a school during the day he would say fly line a bait and then when we stopped he would say they were at a certain depth 150ft-200ft within a few minutes. With this conflicting information it was confusing whether we were fishing on the surface or at depth and this occurred multiple times during the day. Sorry I don’t have names of the crew but they were great as usual. The cook served a delicious breakfast but you had to sit down to eat it, I personally just like a breakfast burrito that I can eat In between the stops. The lunch steak sandwich was great and a nice change from a burger. Left Thursday night on a overnight trip at about 9 pm, boat was already baited up and we headed to the bluefin grounds. It was not a long a ride so no reason to leave early. We arrived out on the grounds at about 11:30 and we started dropping jigs for the big ones. On the second stop the captain called out the depth of the school that was coming through and I dropped a blue pink 250g Rip Roller to just over 300ft and started to grind it up and I hook up at the back of the boat. There were about 6-9 hook ups from what I was told but I was focused on fighting my fish and the 2-3 anglers next to me fighting their fish. I was fishing 100lb and this fish felt big but not a monster. I was fighting the fish and it crossed a few other anglers and we either cleared them ourselves and one time the deck hand stepped in to clear us from each other. I had fought this fish for about 15 minutes, was really putting a lot of pressure, and was seeing deep color and pop the line breaks. Brought the line in and the last 1 1/2 ft of 100lb mono was really rough and tore up, I guess all that crossing of lines did a number on my line. Out of the 6-9 hookups we only bring in two fish that were about 120lb. On this stop knife jigs worked the best but my buddy hooked up on a Katy Perry flat fall only to have his line break right above his braid to mono knot(?). We had maybe 4-5 stops the rest of the night with no fish except the last one at about the morning grey and I think we boat only boated 1 fish. The rest of the day was tough bluefin fishing with yellowfin acting like bluefin. We would roll up to a school they would chum, the fish would come to the surface, we would throwout baits and maybe one person would hook up. A few times we stayed on the stop and a school would come through at depth and one or two people would hook up On sinker rigs. I tried a Katy Perry sniper, a small flat fall, and a sinker rig on a couple stops with no luck. I think all day all the fish were caught on live bait except I think a older man dropped a small silver jig on the slide and hooked up twice. Unfortunately I am a slow learner but I also loaned half my reels to a friend on his first offshore fishing trip and I chose bait over a jig on the slide. My friend and myself did hook up once on stops but because we were fishing the recommended # 2 J hooks we fought the fish briefly only to have the hooks pull. I still think the New Lo Ann is one of the top 3 short trip boats I just missed Adam or Marcus, but really with the tough fishing I dont think the outcome would have been different.
    COMMON for Bluefin on the surface going deep in seconds when spooked by a Sport Boat FYI on your "Complaint". Looks like you learned more from Old Guy rockin?? LOL

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

Bigdog 1961

Desert Sportfisherman
    Aug 1, 2015
    Cave Creek AZ
    Name
    David Piazza
    Boat
    Been there done that
    Thanks for the info. What weight top shot were you fishing with the #2 hook?
    Started off with 30 and went down to 20 and my buddy fished 20 all day. Some of it is luck multiple lines in the same area and one hooks up. There was a guy on there with a rental rod that hooked up twice on the 20lb bluefin, I think I am going to sell my gear and just use rental gear from now on, I think the bluefin know.

Upvote 0

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
    Jan 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Whoever is Hot that week
    Here’s what I learned about rent rods after taking my nephew out the first time. He couldn’t cast to save his life and he out fished everyone on the Pac Queen that day. If the rent rod guy is getting bit it means the fish are close to the boat. His sorry casting was putting and keeping him in the zone. So you should intentionally short cast and fish a new bait every 2 mins until bit. Do not long soak it. I made that change on the trip with my nephew and had second most fish on the boat in short order.

Upvote 0