horn toad

jig thrower-baja junkie
Jul 28, 2005
encinitas/Bahia de Los Angeles
Name
HORN TOAD
Boat
21 ft cape horn
Headed down south of the 425 zone on my buddy's 28 ft. Bertram..water was dark blue in the 70 degree range. No early trolled tuna, but found a paddy with both yellows and dorado....the team decked 5 dorado and 3 yellows. As paddy seemed to dry up, my buddy dawned the spearfishing equipment and I jumped in to snap a few photos.

Ubiquitous blue perch milling around the kelp...

The right kind schooling up on the outskirts of the kelp

A grip of dodos..

Looking around down below

Dodo gets shafted

Back to the surface and into the light

Success...

Ended the day trolling for albies and manged 4 on the B/P smaller jet heads and one bait fish for the boat. Overall a nice day, kind of overcast with not much wind or swell....Saw a few blue whales about, along with some seiners in the afternoon. Yellowfin appeared to be under the terns, but were a no go for us. Had a feeder behind the boat for five minutes, but couldn't get him to go on the jumbo sardine. I think we had 13 fish for the five of us and back to the barn around 5:30 pm...A good day with lots of variety....the summer time is great!!!

HT

Russianhook

Sep 12, 2006
San Diego
Name
Nikolai
Boat
Sea Chaser (Arima) 17'
Great Pictures, I have never seen Dorado in the school. Thanks for the report.

Iceberg

Jeff
Apr 13, 2007
San Diego
Name
Jeff
Boat
My roommies twin-V catamaran
Wow. Wow. Wow. I have never seen a live dorado before in or out of the water. Gonna try for my first this weekend. Damn, it's only Tuesday...?

TheSherThang

Feb 22, 2008
Walnut
Name
Anthony Sher
Boat
Malibu X-Factor (RED)
Great pics. I know a lot of paddies were holding fishys that wouldn't bite. Spearo sounds like the way to go!