Late report- El Dorado 1.5 day 12/9-12/11

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by arenpilav41, Dec 13, 2016.

1. arenpilav41

arenpilav41 jjpilav

Name:
    Pilav
    Boat:
    No Boat
    I know its a bit late, but thought i would share with you guys.

We left Friday night around 9pm on the El Dorado out of Long Beach sport fishing, to fish tanner bank on Saturday for those bluefin that were hanging around out there. 58-59 degree water, cold weather, large swells, rain, lots of wind.. probably wouldn't want to fish out there if it was any worse. I think we had 18 people on the boat, so lots of room on the rail.

I fished 50 and 60b all day, 3 oz glow sliding sinker to a 5/0 ringed hook, with live squid, and went 2 for 4 on the 40-60lb bluefin. I got bit around 9 or 10am, but the hook didnt stick, so got short bit. Then, I got bit around noon, on 50lb, and landed a 40-45ish pound fish in under 5 minutes. Then, around 2:30 i hooked up on 60lb, brought the fish to color within 5 minutes, and got chewed off right before gaff. So I retied, and got back out there with 60lb. On the next cast, I got bit again, and got the fish onto the boat in less than 5 minutes again... this time, I landed a 55ish pound fish.

When we were out there, the captain didn't meter any schools of fish... it was 1 here 1 there on the meter, and most of the hookups came unexpectedly... at no point did we get 2-3 fish going at the same time. It was a slow morning with no biters from 4:30 am until 10ish, maybe 1 hookup on each drift during the day from 10ish to 5ish, and that was that. It was a fantastic trip for me and the other guy that got 2, but a really cold and bumpy boat ride for the remaining passengers.

We had 5 fish for the whole boat. I got 2, another guy got 2, and the third guy got a smaller 20 pounder. It was a hell of a way for me to finish my season. Oh, and I got jackpot honors for a 3rd time this year! I guess i must be doing something right!

Now about the crew/boat: This was my first time on the El Dorado, and as long as there's less than 25 people on the boat, I will gladly fish with them again. The bunk-room and galley were very clean, and newly remodeled. They have a soda machine, food was good. I thought the boat ride was excellent down in the bunk-room, but very rocky while in the galley or on deck. The bunks were extremely comfortable, I slept great on the way out, and on the way in. In my estimation, the captain and crew were great, and i would gladly fish with these guys again. Good Stuff!
    -Aren

IMG_6374.JPG IMG_6373.PNG IMG_6359.PNG IMG_6360.JPG IMG_6362.JPG

tapatio, tresbien, Philligan and 10 others like this.
  2. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    YOU WEASEL! You went again? LOL nice fish Aren..HEY they all taste the same
    and I think those 20-60lb tuna the best eating! Good job. See you on the big
    bird in 2017! NOW get back to work! LOL Welcome to the real world now!
    (good thing I just ate lunch I'd be foaming at those pics...LOL)

tapatio, Pgnracr and arenpilav41 like this.
  3. loosendrag

loosendrag Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    None
    Awesome way to finish up the year!
    Congrats on the jackpot. Well done.

arenpilav41 and Tunahead like this.
  4. arenpilav41

arenpilav41 jjpilav

Name:
    Pilav
    Boat:
    No Boat
    haha yea Ron... I got off work around 4pm on friday, and called the landing and booked my spot. Grabbed my reels, took em to Bob Sands in van nuys to get new 50 60 and 80lb line, some glow sinkers, and I was on my way to long beach by 5:30. It was a last minute decision to go, I finally had a small window away from work, and a light load... I just couldn't resist! See you next year on the Condor forsure!
    -Aren

Pgnracr and Tunahead like this.
  5. Tunahead

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    Well Best of Luck in your new job and Career. I got my cataract out 11/15
    so I can see YOU, Norm (the thief) Stu (the tangler) Shariff (the poacher)
    trying to steal my fish next year. LOL LOL HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you & family!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    Blue Frontier and arenpilav41 like this.
  6. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    Very nice food presentation.

Tunahead and arenpilav41 like this.
  7. TheGunslinger

TheGunslinger gary

Name:
    Gary Nordyke
    Boat:
    48 Pacemaker Gunslinger
    Very nice post and pic's. Thanks

Tunahead and arenpilav41 like this.
  8. Blue Frontier

Blue Frontier Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ton
    Boat:
    USS Enterprise
    It is not not for fair for me just to read your stories, and you do all the work. Lol. Great report and good fishing before the year ends.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  9. lougio

lougio Capt Lou

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
    Great report, thanks!

arenpilav41 likes this.
  10. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Another great trip for you! Congrats, and I hope to share a rail with you a couple of times next year. Knowing that you are sharing the chum line with me makes me take MY game up a notch to compete, or try to!

11. rbfishn

rbfishn Member

Name:
    Reggie
    Boat:
    Good job Aren. Way to get your last fix for the season. Hope I see you on the bird in May.

arenpilav41 likes this.
  12. arenpilav41

arenpilav41 jjpilav

Name:
    Pilav
    Boat:
    No Boat
    I wish i could, but cant commit to that trip just yet :/ My job is very unpredictable, so i don't know if i can take that thursday and friday off. Im sure it will be a great trip!
    -Aren

Tunahead likes this.
  13. Pgnracr

Pgnracr Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Line up
    Ya Ron know all about WORK!!! Can't get a break either too much going on or in fishable conditions!!! You know us!! We are a little nuts too. But when bout says 20-40 wind and 18 foot at 8 seconds. Even in a 55 foot that's just wrong!! Hope you have a Merry Christmas !! I will see you on the Big bird soon we hope!! Going back to Illinois sat will beat up on some power plant crappie. It's crazy snow and ice and then 65 degree water. It's from the boiled water reactor at Clinton lake. They have cool Magnolia crappie hybrid of a black male with white female. They have the markings of a black crappie but then a black strip from under the chin across lips between eyes then to dorsal fin. Very good fighters. Large too!!

Tunahead likes this.
  14. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Jeff -- Aren't those the crappies that glow in the dark?

Tunahead likes this.
  15. Tunahead

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS GUYS! I think those are Illinois River baby mudsharks? LOL
    Unfortunately Aren has to work and can't make our 4 day in May lv. Thursday.
    That will open up more space on the rail, so he can't stomp on my toes...LOL LOL

arenpilav41 likes this.
  16. Pgnracr

Pgnracr Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Line up
    I like more room!!! Be a little different this year I bet. Talked to Andy Cates a couple weeks back. Cold water is pushing South way more and earlier than last few years. I have our annual 14 day end of next month. Bet it will be good. Cold water north helps the ridge bite. Consentrates fish. But back the the mud sharks. Talk lots of shit. But it's still awesome with a 14 foot rod and 4# test vertical jigging and getting slammed by a 17 inch slab. Btw in a boiled water reacter this is only cooled well 130 degree cooled water. That is really steam. Gets no place near radiation. This lake is one of the cleanest most used lakes!! Tl

Tunahead likes this.