jma1978

Bird Catcher
Apr 29, 2010
Oahu
Name
Josh
Boat
24' Yellowfin
After reading the recent thread about solo fishing, I decided to give it a try. Took me a while to get the boat set up by myself and even longer to launch it. Had to launch twice because I forgot the drain plug the first time :shithappens:. At least I didn't get it off the trailer before realizing my mistake. Finally leave Hickam Harbor a little before 6:00 and head straight out.
Started seeing scattered birds after a while and around 8:30, found a pile. First pass through, get a mahi knockdown. Put the boat in idle forward and start fighting the mahi. All of a sudden, two other lines take off and now I have 3 mahi on! Ones comes off right away, but the other stays hooked. Get the first one to the boat and grab for the leader and he spits the hook. Start fighting the remaining fish and he goes nuts and spits the hook too...
Set up and make another pass and get a double mahi knockdown. Start fighting them and they both come off. But before I can even do anything, the corner takes off and I get a small shibi in the boat. Make another pass and another double mahi. I manage to get both of them in the boat and now I'm happy!
Keep working the pile for another hour or so and loose a few more mahi. Caught three ono and got 8 shredded lures. Decided to give up on the mahi and changed out lures and started catching shibi. Was catching non-stop and decided to only run 2 lines, since it was difficult to manage 5 lines by myself. Was catching 2 shibi on each pass and by 1:30, I was out of ice. Decided to pack up and head home, since I was still 26 miles out. Got back to the harbor around 3:30 and cleaned up.

Was a successful day and very rewarding doing it all myself. But just like others said before, make sure you stay safe if fishing solo. The first mahi that I gaffed knocked me off balance and I fell and hit my chest on the gunnel and injured my ribs. Luckily it didn't hurt too bad and I still managed to continue fishing for the rest of the day. But if I'd fallen just a little bit different and went overboard instead, it would have been a really bad day. The whole thing happened so fast, that I didn't even really think about it until later, when I realized there is no time to react when something like that happens; it's all up to God on how it turns out. Guess I had some good karma and cashed in on it.

Attachments

Sep 21, 2010
12 miles @ 52 degrees
Name
Dave
Boat
24' Thunderbird
Good job Josh,
You did mighty fine by yourself. Glad to know you didn't get hurt more badly and worse, fall off the boat. Akua was definitely on your side. Keep up the good work.

volcanic

Nov 9, 2006
Hawaii Kai
Name
Jerry Meredith
Boat
26, Striper, Malia Linda
Josh, Did you get a masters degree in art....that arrangement of fish is a work of art! Should hang that photo on your wall! Good going on your solo trip!

superpile

Captain
May 21, 2012
Kailua, Hawaii
Name
Dave
Boat
Seacret Sauce
good solo trip for sure. Banks seemed good last week anyone been out there with success since. Kaneohe side has been dead for over a week now.

kegan1

Sep 21, 2011
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Name
Kegan
Boat
-SOLD
Banner Day!! Great solo run, most have trouble getting all that with a full crew. Great job! God was lookin out for ya!

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Josh,

Sore ribs suck, but what a way to get them. That is freakin' awesome, super stoked for ya!!! Great day of catchin'.

Cheers
Pat

Hij

Aug 1, 2011
Mililani HI
Name
Jason Hijirida
Boat
25 Force, PAIGE H
Nice catch! Do you have an auto pilot in your boat? Must be hard fighting fish and steering.

grander007

Well-Known "Member"
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
Nice going! If you're gonna fish alone I'd spring for a 406 plb w/ internal gps. Well worth the $500 IMHO. I also wear a seasuspenders style life jacket when alone or at night.

Tight lines,

Beauchat2

Aug 21, 2012
oahu
Name
Russ
Boat
22 Force flybridge DEEEEZEL, 16 Arima Sandbar Queen
Nice going! If you're gonna fish alone I'd spring for a 406 plb w/ internal gps. Well worth the $500 IMHO. I also wear a seasuspenders style life jacket when alone or at night.

Tight lines,
Second that. They even have a epirb the size of a cell phone and costs about 300.00. Well worth you life.

jma1978

Bird Catcher
Apr 29, 2010
Oahu
Name
Josh
Boat
24' Yellowfin
Thanks for all the compliments guys.

Nice catch! Do you have an auto pilot in your boat? Must be hard fighting fish and steering.
Jason, no I don't have an autopilot. I just point the boat downseas and it stays fairly straight. Only have to make minor corrections while fighting fish, and have dual helm, so it's not that far away.

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Josh,
Great catch for first time fishing solo! It's good fun fishing solo but main thing is you gotta fish with safety as a main priority! Ditto on the PLB/epirb. When I go fishing solo I ALWAYS have myself attached to the boat by a rope that is tied to the cleat and the kill switch is attached to that rope so as to kill the motor if I was to fall over. Also it would be a good idea to wear a life vest.