scbassmaster

twin22s
Sep 8, 2006
san clemente
Name
Brian
Boat
"I'm in the market, as it were" - Jack Sparrow
Fish were a bit scattered from the recent pressure, they stayed 100ft from the boat most of the time, I never got a bite the whole trip. no fish were hooked at night but not for lack of trying, Capt did an excellent job of chasing marks all night long and even dropped a jig down himself a few times on some of the better marks. bluefin being bluefin I guess. once the sun came out we found some bites from reluctant schools of fish in the 40-60lb range, most on lighter flouro (30-40lb). some on jigs, most flylined deans. I was fishing 40, dropped to 30 when we started fishing kelps for YT and we would catch an occasional BFT around 30 lbs every so often. we worked hard and saw fish all day but only managed to land 12 BFT and 7 nice YT (15-20lbs). The tuna got smaller as the day went on.

Important notes:
1. hot baits were key, butt/belly hooking made them swim better too.
2. light line worked best, longer topshots/leaders seemed to get bit better.
3. Bluefin suck, you just have to keep going and fishing hard and eventually it will pay off

* I did land the smallest bluefin on the boat (15lb), hooked and handed to me by the hot stick of the trip. It was a very humbling experience but it made my trip. Something I plan to pay forward the next chance I get.

1624304107899.png

my fishing buddies for the day with young man's first yellow, his uncle's first bluefin, and my consolation prize(right)

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    I would much rather take a hand off than go home skunked.

Some people don't though. One time I had about 5 albacore on deck and tried to hand one off to my friend Don who was skunked at that point. He said get that stick out of his face or he was going to throw it over the side. He did finally manage to hook his own later!

Upvote 0