Start Me Up Sportfishing

ahi lawaia

Jan 17, 2008
Hawaii
Name
CP
Boat
Boston Whaler Conquest 21
Lots going on, keeping us from fishing as often and making me late with this report, and not as exciting as all the more recent reports of ahi coming up, but here goes anyway.

We launched early on 5/30 and headed out past CO area. Water was nice so kept going and ended up past the double-ball pinnacle but only scattered birds and no action, so turned south. After a while, took a hard strike and hookup on the stbd rigger in the blind. You guys know the drill: look for splashes or jumping marlin behind the boat while cranking in the other lines. We see nothing, so our hopes start to climb as we fight that fish to the boat. Finally get it close enough to see it and - auwe! - our ahi went grow one nose on the way in! We get that little marlin in the boat, set back up and spot some birds off in the distance.

We finally catch up to them and see cane-knife mahi chasing malolo. We quickly get three in the boat (a fourth spit the hook behind the boat) then I see a big splash. Thinking maybe a marlin or some ahi are there too, until we see more splashes. The commotion of the mahi chasing the malolo has caught the sonar ear of some porpoise and so now they're there too. We see a strange looking porpoise with what looks to be a yellow or gold head but when it surfaces to breathe we realize it's got a mahi in its mouth! Yup, that was the end of the mahi bite for us.

Getting late and we're still kinda far out, so start heading back. With 22 miles still to go, the port rigger comes down and line starts screaming out. Same drill, nothing jumping or splashing behind the boat and this fish goes deep so now we're really thinking it's the right stuff. A half hour or so later, we've got the mark back on the reel and the fish is fighting hard deep behind the boat. Then the pole stands up and the line goes slack:oops:. Everything's intact; the hook just pulled!>:(

So, ended up getting the skunk off the boat but still got the monkey! A nice day on the water anyway and we gettum next time. Tight lines everybody!

P1010370C.jpg

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Congrats on the long nose and the 3 mahis! That‘s a great day of fishing in my books! You’ll get the “the right one”on your next fishing trip out from Waianae.

Upvote 0

ahi lawaia

Jan 17, 2008
Hawaii
Name
CP
Boat
Boston Whaler Conquest 21
Apologies for being remiss on thanking you all for the kind words; just too many life things going on.
Good going!
Thanks, Jimmy; good to see you back out fishing too!
That was exciting.
Nice job.
Mahalo, I guess getting out less often makes every trip exciting.
Courtland and crew,
Good goin on the skunk riddin', sorry the monkey jumped back on. All interrupted by some sandwich mahis. Good story there MR CP.

Cheers
Pat
Thanks, Pat, your posts are always an inspiration to get back to what really matters in life.
GREAT REPORT and Read. "Our Ahi grew a nose" LOL LOL LOL
Glad you got a chuckle out of the story; got to keep a sense of humor because - at least for me - it's still fishing and not "catching" and a sense of humor helps on those days fishing becomes boat riding.
Congrats on the long nose and the 3 mahis! That‘s a great day of fishing in my books! You’ll get the “the right one”on your next fishing trip out from Waianae.
Russ, thanks for always being a terrific friend and inspiring me to get the boat wet. You have some awesome days on your resume that anyone would be happy to have! Go catch some more.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimmyK
Upvote 0