Late report 4/15 -4/16 hidden bank

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Surge4130, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Surge4130

Surge4130 Member

Name:
    Surge
    Boat:
    Predator
    Fish report- date: 4/15-4/16/2017
    Location: 55 miles south of point loma, and local offshore banks.
    With big bluefin being caught already, itching to get one, I saw a weather window on Saturday night into Sunday morning. Decided to give it a shot overnight as they've been biting at the grey light hours. I contacted a couple friends to go, and they were up for it. We launched my boat by 6:30pm Sat afternoon got bait, and off we were, in smooth seas as predicted. We ended up around the 425 by the time it was dark. We traveled in the dark for another hour before reaching our destination at the upper hidden bank. We set up camp and enjoyed some Costco pizza and some Sierra Nevada ipas while soaking baits. I went to sleep and was woken up by clicker of reel, zzzzz. Got up only to investigate and Adrian was pulling on a nice blue shark. We got attacked a few more times by the blues. Unfortunately, not the right kind of blues. Oh well, we tried. We then proceeded to search for bluefin or kelp paddies for yellows. We found a few that were dry, along the way home we also saw tons of little jelly fish, and loads of big mola molas on the surface. We finally found a paddy with yellowtail on them. As Mohammed and Adrian were casting to them, I lobbed my surface iron jig to where I thought they might be, and it got slammed as soon as it hit the water. I fought the fish for a good 5 minutes, and put up a good fight, before Adrian sunk the gaff in it. There were more fish there, but they didn't want to bite anymore so we moved on. Not long after we found another paddy with fish on it, and they would follow our jigs, but wouldn't bite. After that we headed home and ran out of fuel 10 miles from harbor. We forgot to bring extra fuel, and we burned more fuel than expected due to battery running low at night, and the guys decided to turn motor on to recharge battery. It was okay though, because I have vessel assist. Made the call on Adrian's emergency vhf as I was giving out a weak signal on ch. 16. Vessel assist arrived in less than an hour, we refueled, and we were on our way back to shelter Island boat ramp. It was a new experience to spend the night offshore, fishing and overall, it was a successful trip. We learned a lot, had lots of fun, got some fresh air, and caught a fish. We shall do it again soon a little more prepared, and a little more educated.

received_10208706014714607.jpeg 20170416_130443.jpg 20170415_232630.jpg 20170415_232647.jpg 20170416_101015.jpg 20170417_114446.jpg

998R, jeremyv75, kbray001 and 5 others like this.
  2. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    Nice fish and nice report.

What was the shell casing or something you pulled out of the water?

Also what was your technique or plan for floating around out there overnight? Tips/learning lessons that you could share would be helpful!!

3. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    thanks for the report.
    That stinks that you ran out of gas.

that pic of the fishfinder is loaded with BFT

Surge4130 likes this.
  4. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    Great read, glad you got some fish! "You'll never know,unless you GO"! .me

Surge4130 likes this.
  5. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Nice report, you might want to set your meter for reading deeper than 30'. Usually we cruise with ours set to 300+

Shon and Surge4130 like this.
  6. Joda

Joda Member

Name:
    Jonathan c
    Boat:
    one day
    how big was your boat for this overnight?

7. Surge4130

Surge4130 Member

Name:
    Surge
    Boat:
    Predator
    My boat is a 20ft, 1995 seaswirl striper. Our plan was to set drift from upper hidden, and drift towards the lower bank. It was working , drifting at about 1.5 mph, but the guys decided to motor back to the upper hidden bank high spot to charge the battery. A little miscommunication, live n learn. We had the fishfinder set at automatic, and every once in a while, we would mark around 150ft. We were chunking, drifting sardines and a mackerel, while using the flat fall jigs. Just no love with the bft. Shell casing was some sort of cannon charger for military. It was floating out there, glad no body hit it. We took it back to shelter Island and threw it in the trash.

Joda likes this.
  8. Phat Boat

Phat Boat I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    Grady White Marlin 300
    Turn off the automatic on the sonar and set it to 200 to 300 feet when offshore. Better pics. When it hits a school of fish the sonar thinks its the bottom and adjusts. Thanls for the report.

Surge4130 likes this.
  9. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Good effort guys!

Surge4130 likes this.
  10. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    I agree, set the fishfinder to manual 200-300ft. Better for deep offshore tuna fishing.

Threw the shell casing in the trash? I'm weird, I guess I would have kept it as a souvenir!

You guys did a great job out there overnight in a 20ft boat. Thanks for all the posts!!

Surge4130 likes this.