late report: 3 day ending Wed 7/18

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
Fished the main area where everybody is near the 43. Fish are all over. schools a mile wide or more with the meter solid red & some are BFT mixed sized ( 20 to 200+ # ) plus some mixed BFT( 20 to 200+ # ) & YFT ( 20 - 40# for us). Picky bite on bait as we had large sardine mainly ( not huge) with some smaller sardine. Smaller bait was best if it SWAM FAST. Only chovy in tank lasted only 60 seconds. Fished barfed up 3 inch chovies and they are keyed in on that verse what is in the bait tank. Double trouble rig was not bite even dragged complete through a spot of foamers. For us, colt, poppers, surface iron, yoyo all not working as schools would go down most of the time.

Some bait fish were caught. Flat falls got the larger model BFT. GLOW IN DARK 250 gram. Make sure you energize for each drop, even in the DAYTIME.

2 big BFT hookups for me. 184 lb I landed came on first night out around 9 to 10 PM. 200+ came at 4-5 AM shift, got near the boat 3 times, but 100 main line rubbed through and broke. All on knockoff flat fall GLOW IN DARK 250 gram. Also got 2 20# YFT's on bait. Other big BFT came on the yummy flyer around 6 pm & weighed in at 186#.

Learned a lot, got my ass kicked, and found out how out of shape I was. Was on Vagabond. Great boat, captain, crew, and cooks. Back out on it again for a 6 day at the start of August. Want one more whack at the BFT's if it is in the plan for the trip but also looking forward to going south

IMG_0574.jpg

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
Still tired. Meant to post this into OFFSHORE but not sure how to move this. MAybe a moderator can do this quicker

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
Way to go, John! Wish I could do 1/10 the trips you do. The smile on your face is the reason us fat, old farts do this thing. Damn, you must be feeding half of Point Loma with all the fish you are catching! I'll see you in November, whether you make it on the 10-day or not. Coming in a day early. Keep us posted on your 'Lupe trip at the end of the month.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    GREAT REPORT info,pic and NICE FISH John. Solid Work.
    Mike and the Vag crew a top operation for sure.

Upvote 0

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    John Gleaves
    Boat
    Way to go, John! Wish I could do 1/10 the trips you do. The smile on your face is the reason us fat, old farts do this thing. Damn, you must be feeding half of Point Loma with all the fish you are catching! I'll see you in November, whether you make it on the 10-day or not. Coming in a day early. Keep us posted on your 'Lupe trip at the end of the month.
    Hi Nick. This was a trip from 2018 that got a recent reply and shot it back up to the top of the posts.

Will post again when I get back from my Lupe trip on the Vagabond Aug 3rd. Recent reports look really good

Red Rooster report. YT are biting too. Will focus on them also as a big model is on my bucket list. Will try them first cast as the tuna will be there later on.

American Angler should arrive to the Island tomorrow early AM so will follow their reports. No spots open yet on the Nov 10 day but I keep looking almost daily.

Already got 30 days booked for 2022 on the VAg and that is just through August.

Will be doing my 8 and 10 day trips in the Fall, maybe more.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    Hi Nick. This was a trip from 2018 that got a recent reply and shot it back up to the top of the posts.

Will post again when I get back from my Lupe trip on the Vagabond Aug 3rd. Recent reports look really good

Red Rooster report. YT are biting too. Will focus on them also as a big model is on my bucket list. Will try them first cast as the tuna will be there later on.

American Angler should arrive to the Island tomorrow early AM so will follow their reports. No spots open yet on the Nov 10 day but I keep looking almost daily.

Already got 30 days booked for 2022 on the VAg and that is just through August.

Will be doing my 8 and 10 day trips in the Fall, maybe more.
    That's too funny. I saw the thread in the "latest posts" column on the right of the webpage and just assumed you'd gotten another trip in.

Will be watching all the LR boat reports, chomping at the bit for Nov to get here.

Upvote 0