Late Report: 12/07/12

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Kaiohi, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Kaiohi

Kaiohi Newbie

Name:
    Boat:
    Glacier bay 22
    Sorry for the late report. Went for an inter-island boat trip off a friend's trimaran the Kioloa last week. Started in Maui and sailed up through Molokai, Oahu, Kauai and ended in Niihau...and then returned the same way. Trolled the channels. Not much there at all. On our return trip from Kauai we lucked out on the light winds. We left Nawiliwili at 4am and set a course for Pokai Bay. I figured it would be a good idea to check all the usual spots for the porpoise on our way there. We found a few scattered birds, lots of small bait and some old floats with nobody home at about 44 miles out from Pokai. Other than that the channel was empty. At 15 miles out, we finally found the porpoise. First pass and we had a double - one 20# otaru and an ahi about 160#. Set up again and did another pass and got another ahi about 130#. Kimi gaffed the first one and my 11-year old nephew had the honors on the second one (he's 3 for 3 on gaffing ahi so far). Working a porpoise pile with a 56' Trimaran is an interesting task. Hope we didn't get in the way to badly for the other few boats there. It looked like everyone was hooking up, so I think the bite was on. It was hard to leave the fish, but since we were low on ice we headed right in.

Attached Files:

2. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    No matter what ride you are on you guys have that chit figured; good goin'!!! In addition to the ahis, sounds like quite a trip...

Cheers
    Pat

3. shadzdad

shadzdad Member

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    building one
    Some good team work there. Congrats on the ahis.

4. Jus10

Jus10 Newbie

Name:
    Jus10
    Boat:
    Kimi-Some
    shemean:hali_olutta: