Get bit
Jan 3, 2005
Irvine
Name
Mark
Boat
24' Robalo, REEL TROUBLE
Short Report.
Went 1 for 3 on cow BFT 3 to 4 miles SE of the Tanner in deeper water.

Long Report
Got a call Wednesday to fish a buddies boat, 21 foot Defiance. He's been snake bite good. 5 yrs trying and no cow and he wants to go to the Tanner...huh?.. how much fuel do you carry? LOL. Anyhow I check the weather and it's a go.
Left from Dana Point at 2:30am.
On the #s by 7ish and we metered some fish so out goes the flyer and it gets nailed within a few minutes, down goes the indicator and I'm cranking like crazy waiting for it to go tight but it didn't stick. Quickly get a second flyer out but the school moved on, we would get Mark's from time to time but nada so we moved searching around that area but couldn't locate them. Since we know they're patrolling the bank we just set a drift to see if we get any action but its quiet. Around 11 we start moving again searching around go a mile this way then 4 that way and by now it's almost noon and we see our first big school. Stoked, send the bait and wait. Took a little bit, screen went blank but then we get a blow up on the bait, my buddy is on the reel cranking but it doesn't go tight. Crap!.. send another one out. This one soaked for a solid 30 minutes or more. Then we see 2 balloons go down on a sporty that's a ways out from us. And a few minutes later we see a single mark and we get blown up again. This time I finally go tight and I call my buddy over.. get on it man! It's your turn! Keep in mind he has never fought a fish in this class ever. So I yelled at him quiet a bit.. Haha but he gassed out quick so I put the other newb on the reel and repeated the drill, do this and dont do that. Then we decided to drive donuts around the fish which was fun. Just kept her off the port stern till we got her with in range to gaff. Tail rope and high fives. Had a little time left so we tried for another one but that didnt happen. Point it towards home at 3:45 back at the harbor just after 7.. conditions we epic.
Now what happens next.. ugh. As we're leaving my buddy hit the curb at PCH and pops a tire on the trailer. Ok no biggie, just a tire swap right? Well not when a lug is seized and it spins the stud. That is only coming off one way...you have to cut it off. So by now it's close to 10 PM and we're still on the side of PCH in Dana and some dude walks up and asks what's up guys? We tell him and he says.. don't worry, I'll be right back. 45 minutes later he comes back with tools. Cuts the lug off and we're on our way home. Where did this guys come from and who sent him? Thank you. It longer to get home FROM Dana point to Tustin. Bawahahah

VideoCapture_20201022-182356.jpg

IMG_2453.jpg

20201022_151307.jpg

20201022_151347.jpg

VideoCapture_20201022-182408.jpg

Fishizelle

Apr 26, 2014
Name
Steve
Boat
Super Fishal
Is someone winding on the kite as well when the strike happens?

Rabid Fish

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 27, 2004
Southern California
Name
Alex
Boat
26'
Is someone winding on the kite as well when the strike happens?
You can do that but if your boat is on the smaller side a lot of people just leave the kite in the air during the whole fight because otherwise you gotta figure out what to do with the giant balloon and kite while fighting the fish, somehow trying to keep the balloon away from anything sharp and the kite away from anywhere it'll get wet... too much to deal with. Better off leaving it in the air unless you got the boat/crew to bring it in and send out another bait. And even that is tough if you don't have a walk around where you can fight the fish from a dead boat.

SD2600

Opinions aren’t constitutional- they are earned
Apr 13, 2017
San diego
Name
Dustin
Boat
26' sea swirl
Great write up. Serious what kind of fuel does that defiance hold?

Reactions: eddie8157

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
SLLUUUGGGG! Nice fish, great write up. Thanks! Any reason you weren't sending out 2 flyers at a time? You don't need an electric reel for the kite, but it does help if you are in run n gun mode. Maybe 1 kite and 1 balloon rig.

THE GRAYS

Oct 20, 2006
Redlands
Name
The Grays
Boat
2021 Parker 2320
Absolutely love this story, sounds like our trips lately but we don’t make it to fishing grounds. Screens, batteries, flat tires, stuck motors all part of it. 😂 Great report and awesome catch!

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Great report. Here is tip on lug that spins. Btw happens. Take a flat screw driver wedge in between stud and wheel hammer it in to stud until you break tip off screw driver. Now spin off lug. Btw have to do more than once sometimes. Key is binding lug so it won’t spin. Good luck and be safe.

BabyGiant

Get bit
Jan 3, 2005
Irvine
Name
Mark
Boat
24' Robalo, REEL TROUBLE
It holds 100 gallons, we burned about 100 but we brought another 20. Wind was too light for a kite so we had the a balloon straight to the main line. We also had another bait out drifting on a "life jacket" but it never got looked at. Thanks for the tip on the lug.

Reactions: 998R