Late OBX report

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic Reports and Discussion' started by scubaarchery, Apr 7, 2018.

1. scubaarchery

scubaarchery ScubaArchery

Name:
    Eric Dulin
    I live in TX and predominantly yellow fin tuna fish at the rigs at night. When some friends said they were heading to OBX, I had to jump on board!

Challenge one upgrade the gear!
    Since my 10K Stella and Racepoint 150 were not going to cut it, I did some reasearch and checked for some used gear and opted for:
    2008 20k stella on Hots XH with JB 100 for popping
    2008 20k stella on Racepoint 200 with JB 100 for jigging
    20k FA on Valley Hill with JB 100 decade for jigging
    Jigging master PE6 on Phenix Titan with JB100 for conventional jigging.

Challenge 2 tackle:
    There is a huge difference in size so I upgraded to 150lb windows, spro ball bearing swivels, shout 7/0 and 9/0 single assist hooks (to release oversized fish). I also picked up Shout, Point Jude deep force and a few other jigs as well as Shimano and Daiwa stick baits.

The trip:
    Overall, it was a pretty epic adventure. We arrived Thursday and met up with captains Jay and Kenny on the Runaway at 6am.Seas were snotty and winds were pretty high so we were not sure if we would be able to fish. A couple of other boats (Albatross andTuna Duck) we’re heading out so we took off too. Plan was to go south and see if any bluefin were around the rocks. We jigged and popped and ended up with some albacore, Bonita, AJ but no bluefin, yellowfin or blackfin.

Saturday promised to be better so we met at 4 to run north as several other boats were doing. We fished “the change” or essentially the edge of the Gulf Stream. We were moving north when Jay yells bluefin. We could see them in the water. The first one I saw was massive, it looked to be about 9-10 ft. We alll started jigging and throwing poppers when Reese hooked up. It took about an hour and five miles to get the 89” in the boat. Unfortunately too big to keep but very photogenic.

We cruised back down the edge for the rest of the day. Bill and I trolled a Halco 190 and caught whole and parts of various albacore, the sharks were fierce.

Sunday we were blown out. Weather is a challenge.

Stella 20k with 100lb JB Hollow was the reel of choice, most of us had at least one.
    I like the loop to loop and will do that from now on.

I had more than enough jigs but not enough large sinking stick-baits, will bring more next time.

You only see those fish for a moment and they are booking so keep your rod in hand ready to cast or drop a jig immediately.

I can’t thank the people on here enough for their advice especially Basil, Charkbait etc. Great advice from lots of folks!

DEB31C29-3EAE-460F-A259-2B3A16400E51.jpeg F7C7E7AF-48D9-4C98-97D6-AABFA59CF1A6.jpeg 37065A04-3724-414F-B2D3-1B50CCC3D488.jpeg 330C18AF-9B2B-45EC-885F-14A81E83C61B.jpeg 3E5B287B-BD96-491A-8877-2A8B6AF89E5F.jpeg 2BF88A56-0079-462F-9695-93183CCAB27B.jpeg

GaffnLaff, esgeo, 5-20 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Bob_NH

Bob_NH Newbie

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    N/A
    Nice report. Hope we see 'me up this way before too long!

3. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    That's a big fish. Congrats!

4. scubaarchery

Name:
    Eric Dulin
    Thanks! I am off to cape cod in August to try again! Then selling my BFT gear and sticking to YFT...

5. Fraydknot

Fraydknot Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    27, Sea pro , Fraydknot
    that thing is a beast!!! Congrats

6. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    Nice report thanks. Not trying to be a dick but you got the tuna on the boat and then released it? Just wondering how you guys did that.

7. scubaarchery

Name:
    Eric Dulin
    There is a fish door behind Creese. Pull in, quick pick, and back out the door. Pretty standard and you see it in several videos. Have to pull them a little to revive them

8. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    Thanks. I never had a tuna cooperate like that. I’ve seen those videos of live marlin in a boat and everyone jumping out.

9. scubaarchery

Name:
    Eric Dulin
    Lol I think that was a pretty green fish. By the time we were able to pull it in it was pretty spent. I have seen videos of marlin and even makos jumping and accidentally end up in the boat.