bosco

Older Timer
Oct 21, 2005
Santa Barbara
Name
Ken Ross
Boat
Someone else's
Went with 31 other divers on the Vision out of Santa Barbara. Wanted to dive the Cortez Bank and SBI but weather was up. Dove 2 days back side of Santa Cruz from Yellow Banks to Albert's and 2 days at Santa Rosa around Johnson's Lee. Multi-day permit allowed each diver 21 bug limit. Boat count was 560 lobster for 32 divers. Most taken in < 10ft. of water in the eel grass. bosco

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Went with 31 other divers on the Vision out of Santa Barbara. Wanted to dive the Cortez Bank and SBI but weather was up. Dove 2 days back side of Santa Cruz from Yellow Banks to Albert's and 2 days at Santa Rosa around Johnson's Lee. Multi-day permit allowed each diver 21 bug limit. Boat count was 560 lobster for 32 divers. Most taken in < 10ft. of water in the eel grass. bosco

WOW!!!

Reactions: normb
Upvote 0

RyanErb

Love to fish!
Aug 7, 2012
All over the 805
Name
Ryan
Boat
OnTheWater
Thanks for the report! Sounds like a good load!

Were plenty taken during daylight or were all taken during night?

Any pics?

Congrats on a fun trip!

Upvote 0

Mcgyver

Catcher of fish, releaser of few!
Nov 23, 2005
San Diego
www.calcofi.org
Name
David Mcgyver
Boat
17.5' Seafair Sedan, Sea Hag
I was on the trip too. It is very sustainable considering what the commercials take. Pay your $850 too and you can have a lobster adventure if you are good enough diver. Santa Rosa was 55 degrees at the surface. MPA was very strictly forbidden by the captain, serious threat of loosing all lobsters caught on trip. You really should see a commercial boats haul some time it will blow your mind the first couple weeks, check the CDFW stats. Sorry for the rant, it was for the armchair fisherman. Here are some pics. What fun it was if you can handle 5-6 dives a day. Only 1 night dive, mostly day time bugging, much skill involved.

dan bag.jpg capt graham.jpg Dan bug.jpg

Upvote 0

hotramen

work hard, fish hard
Aug 21, 2009
CA
Name
Frank
Boat
None
I have never heard of a lobster only multi day charter. What is the diving experience that is needed?

I have open water with a few dives. 10 feet in eel grass sounds like easy conditions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
I have never heard of a lobster only multi day charter. What is the diving experience that is needed?

I have open water with a few dives. 10 feet in eel grass sounds like easy conditions.

Only you know your abilities and comfort level, but I would suggest you get more dives under your belt before you go after lobster. Especially at night. Night dives are a different experience. Not for everyone. I have over 150 dives, and I am still uncomfortable at night. I like to see what is around me. LOL

Upvote 0