Late Day HH Bouy Run

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by blufin10, May 21, 2017.

1. blufin10

blufin10 TightLines666

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29
    Me and my girlfriend took the Hiilawe out on a late day HH FAD bouy run yesterday afternoon.

I spent the morning working on my boat and wanted to give her a post-fuel system service shakedown cruise while taking advantage of the lull on the tradewinds. We left the dock at the crack of 3:30pm. Reports of small marlin on the outter ledge, and Aku/Otaru at the HH FAD bouy helped form the plan of action. Winds were forecasted to blow 10-12knots picking up to 15+ in the evening. We put a 5 rod spread of 4 Polu Kai small Shaka marlin baits, and 1 small malolo jet of the center and trolled at 7 knots towards the HH.

As soon as we crossed the 1000' ledge we hooked up to a nice (~250lbs) Blue. He hit the port long rigger (black bait) on a hot-rodded 9/0 spooled with 650yds of 100lb JB solid tied with an FG chain to a 150yd 100lb mono topshot. The fish grabbed the bait and turned upwind (astern). He ran off the 150yd top shot while making a turn to port and continuously jumping. He then turned downwind and started running at the boat while jumping a few more times. The fish was lit up with beautiful bronze-colored highlights. I slowed the boat and left the helm to help clear the last 2 lines, and the line went slack. I think I had a pretty good hook set, but made the rookie helmsmen mistake of taking my attention off of the fish. Anyway, the fish put on a spectacular show, and gave the newly completed reel a good test. Drag was silky smooth, and the FG chain held up. Also, I wasn't quiet sure how the 2 of us were going to deal with a Blue Marlin boatside. This one would have likely have been tagged and released, instead of going to my friend's fish coop.

I then switched out our spread to 3 small jetheads, and 2 tuna clones in anticipation of an Aku bite. We made our way to the HH bouy and were dissapointed to see no signs of life. We made several passes and a loop along the nearby ledge. Right as the sun was reaching the horrizon, the winds kicked up to ~15-18knots , and as if on cue, the waters and skys erupted with life. We chased the large school of Skipjack and cloud of Wedgies, Sooties, and Boobies upwind several miles but just couldn't get the baits in front of them. We got a tangle, and lost the fish sorting things out. Turned the boat for port and headed back uphill as it got dark. Things layed down back inside of 10nm and we hit the dock at 9:30pm.

All-in-all a successful trip in my book (despite coming home empty-handed). We had some excitement, and the engine ran great. Also, happy to see that we only burned 9 gals in 6 hours.

John

20170520_151657.jpg 20170520_173226.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Krispi Sardine and conor like this.
  2. tony489

tony489 tman

Name:
    tman
    Boat:
    kayak
    better get some bigger reels

3. shadzdad

shadzdad Member

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    building one
    blufin10 likes this.
  4. blufin10

blufin10 TightLines666

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29
    Building a set today. The 4/0&6/0s have 650 yds of 80 jb solid tied to 50 floro topshots. They have solid aluminum frames, helicle cut SS gearsets w/versa drag inserts capable of 35lbs of sustained drag so they can handle a big fish. I like having a light set to fish fluro when the fish are shy. My next set of 14&12/0s are spooled with str8 130lb & 100lb mono and have steel gears, jacks, and versa drag kits which should max out at nearly 70lbs, and be silky smooth at 35lbs. They are mounted on a new set of custom 80 Rainshadow Stub 80s and 2 Hawaii Custom 130 class rods. I am just fishing hotrodded Senators to test the upgraded parts (from AlanTani.com) on some fish. I intend to get a set of the new Penn International V series 130s (getting released this July) after I have put these through their paces.

I have been servicing 80 and 130 class reels locally for 5 years now, and like to think I know my way around a reel. I have fished heavy (including hyro and electric and light gear down to 8lb (i have caught several 8, 12, & 16lb class world records).

IMG_15241.jpg

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    finishright and I'M OFF like this.
  5. blufin10

blufin10 TightLines666

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29
    I am a fisheries biologist and have been offshore fishing since I was 10 years old. I fished Bermuda, Port Eads/LA, and Southern Florida before moving here. I have spent about 1000days as a fisheries observer out on longline vessels, a year working aboard local and NWHI commercial bottomfish vessels, and 4 years doing shark and bottomfish research in the NWHIs.

This 1978Dyer29 is my first boat.

I got a great deal on it last August, but the 'to do' list has been growing since I bought her. She sat for 6 years and was in need of alot of work.

So far I have...

fully rewired (w/3 bank system, 2 panels, voltameter, and amp meter), new plumping throughout), new pumps&switches, lighting, deck work, rod holders, built 2 new hatches, and I tore out and replaced all the rot I found in the deck, and windshield/house. The exhaust was replaced, replaced the turbo w/rebuilt, all fuel lines/fittings, filters, impeller, serviced the heat exchanger, coolent clean/flush/replace, trannie filter and fluid change, oil changes, mounted shotguns, stern rod holders, refurb/rewrapped and rigged outriggers, serviced and installed electric downrigger, serviced/repainted and got a custom shotgun mount for my Henry Ching pinch puller&repainted, installed a washdown pump, built a 30 gal livebait well, built a fish cleaning board w/swivel shotgun mount, rod leases, rod stirage locker, built gaffs, installed 2 sounders, gps, 2 vhfs, setup a ditch bag, EPIRB, Handheld VHF, food water, flares, etc.., got my fish box, and coolers sorted, set up sea dredge, and casting net, bought/installed a classic Rock-a-way chair, and sanded and painted the engine and trannie. Probably a few other projects I can't remember at the moment.

My current 'to do' list includes...
    -Buy/Install new shifting cable
    -Polish fuel tanks
    -Install accessory wire hangers
    -Service/build/spool 3 12/0s & 2-14/0s
    -Build 2 more matching custom stub80s
    -Rig deep drop, ika shibi basket, and misc trolling baits & gear
    -Buy/wire/install LED floodlight on windshield
    -Buy more anchor rope, build a deep water grapple-reef anchor
    -Fix turbo dump
    -Install new windshield glass
    -prep/paint house
    -new anchor locker cover deck pipe
    -prep/paint bilge
    -prep/paint interior
    -prep/paint exterior white
    -repair or resurface gelcoat
    -prep/paint lower deck
    -prep/paint upper deck
    -prep/varnish all teak
    -dry dock.. new thru hulls, new transducer, new packing, sand or blast to bare fiberglass.. repair blisters, new barrier coat and metal bonding agent, 2 coats hard bottom paint
    -find/replace prop (aim for 3600rpm top end) likely 16X17 current is 17X17)
    -Build/install Engine cover
    -Build/install removable helm chair mount
    -Stick on BF and USCG doc decals
    -buy/install cb radio

I would also like to build a cab (w/rod holders&center rigger), convert the front deck to a flush config, buy/install a 1kw thruhull, and get a higher capacity washdown someday.

The boat is powered by a 220hp Yanmar 4lha-stp str8 shaft. She is slow 6-8knot cruise, 14knot top end), a bit snappy in the trough, and somewhat tender downhill, but very seaworthy. With 2-45 gal monel tanks and a burn rate of 1-1.5gals/hr it has good range, and ecomomy. The full keel keeps her tracking like she is on rails, and I love the big working deck, and cabin layout.

So far, I have been very happy to own this classic 'downeaster'.. or as my friend likes to call her...

'One Haole Sampan'

John

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  6. shadzdad

shadzdad Member

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    building one
  7. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    John,
    I too love the back deck, almost play football back there. We first started with 6-0's and 9-0's back in the Atlantic ('83-'87) and then here in the late '80's, the worse thing about the 9-0's was single speed, a fish diggin' deep and hard, low gear can make such a difference.

Good goin on getting the marlin bite, he just released himself earlier than you had intended. Great fuel economy, it sounds like you could have a race w/ the Hard Merchandise (wicked tuna) and neither of ya might win. I'd take that for that fuel burn.

Cheers
    Pat

blufin10 likes this.
  8. blufin10

blufin10 TightLines666

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29
    Finished up my reels last night. 2-14/0s (950yds 130lb mono)& 3-12/0s (850yds 100lb mono). All reels have stainless steel gear sets, and dogs, & versa drag inserts which double the stock drag ratings.
    I also have 1-15lb casting/jigging rig, 1-12 lb spinner, 1-30lb spinner, 2 hot-rodded jigmasters/30lb conventionals, 2-9/0s (650yds 100lb spectra/mono), 2-6/0s (650yds 50lb floro) & 1-4/0 (650yds 80lb spectra&50lb floro). The 9,6&4/0s are fully hot rodded and have faster/stronger gears, greater line capacity, and double the drag of stock reels. I also have a hot-rodded Newell as my goto deep water jigging setup.

16 rods/reels total.

20170609_082624.jpg 20170609_082721.jpg

9. blufin10

blufin10 TightLines666

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29
    Got all my lures rigged up with new skirts, hooks, & leaders as well. Around 60 baits total including 6-12" Marlin, 6-7" Small/Striped Marlin, 6-9" Tuna, 6-7" Tuna, 6-9" Jets/Wahoo, 6-7" Jets, 2-5"jets, 6-trolling plugs, 6-Ballyhoo Sea Witch/Wahoo, 6 5/7" Mahi Baits, 3-Shibi flys, Deep drop/Deep7 rigs/Palu Ahi & pinch puller, large/medium/small live bait hooks/bridles, Akule/Opelu floro rigs, squid jigs, medium/small bottomfish rigs, and assorted small plugs/spoons/jigs.

20170609_094637.jpg 20170609_094652.jpg 20170609_094705.jpg 20170609_094710.jpg

10. thebigdog123

thebigdog123 Member

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    none
    Looks like you are all geared up. New skirts, leaders and hooks for all that stuff?
    You have been busy! Look forward to the catch reports.

11. shadzdad

shadzdad Member

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    building one
    All your preparation will pay off when you raise the fish. Sure sounds like you know your way around a reel and how to make it bullet proof. Big reels help and are nice but get some guys, you all know who, that consistently land big fish out of waianae on smaller gear. Not hating on 130s, cause i going run em, just some positive feedback. Love the setup, good luck out there

12. fooks

fooks Newbie

Name:
    Leon
    Boat:
    None
    John, how did you hear about the Penn 130's getting a new series? I tried searching it after you mentioned it but came up empty. Maybe that's why J Hara store has the 130VSX for a really good price.

13. patfishhi

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
  14. blufin10

blufin10 TightLines666

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29
  15. patfishhi

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    John,
    I was saying the link in my previous post was posted by the PENN rep, and stated the new 130 should be out in September. Sorry for the confusion.

Pat

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  16. fooks

fooks Newbie

Name:
    Leon
    Boat:
    None
    Thanks Pat and John for the info. Will be looking out for them in the future!