bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
Aug 7, 2008
Westminster, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
Gwendolyn
Rather than look through hundreds of posts/threads I'll just ask. Other than the deck that was cored with wood. What other spots are prone to soft spots? Is the transom solid glass, foam and glass or wood and glass? I'm looking to buy something back east and have my brother meet me half way with it or fly out to inspect it. Then I'll use a transporter I used to bring my Parker out to bring the Whaler out. My plan is to get something with the intention of re-coring the deck, replacing the fuel tank and putting a new/new used outboard on it. I also might go full refurbish as in all the aforementioned work along with paint/gel/compound buff etc... Probably Sea Deck the deck rather than paint and gel it.

I stole my Parker after searching for 6 months and have the same time for this, so I am confident I will find what I'm looking for at the right price to make a refurbish worth it. Really leaning on the 22 and putting a pilot house/phone booth on it make it my last boat.

Unassailable

Professional Amateur
Aug 26, 2009
San Diego
Name
John B
Boat
BW
Both whalercentral and continouswave Whaler forums have diagrams where all the wood is on different models of boats. Go check it out!

Transoms on those whalers are wood and glass. Prone to getting waterlogged if holes are not sealed properly...

Reactions: bazzturd

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
Yep,
Like he said. Soft spots are not always on that removable deck section. Other than that, your plan sounds OK. Make sure you go and inspect it before you drop the cash. My buddy brought one mail order. He is still finding out what all is wrong with it. It seemed like a good deal at the time, but it needs a fuel tank, and has some soft spots. Old boats have old boat problems.

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
the transom is glass and mahogany plywood { like hydrotek or aquartek, and so are the deck panels and reinforcements.}.my console has termites so i'll be replacing the wood reinforcement the 22' rs are awesome boats, look for a guardian model. i replaced all of the wood on my boat with starboard. recored the deck panels , and i'm getting ready for new fuel tanks.
find the starting video , this guy is good....

acefuture

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
18 Klamath "Blue Can"
I recently picked up an 85 Whaler Outrage 18'. The cored center deck is solid as a rock and so is the transom. There is a soft spot about 6" around just off to the port side. This boat has been out of the water for 5 years now, so I know its dry, but that small spot may need to be patched or filled. @ShadBurke gave me a WEALTH of knowledge on these boats when I was initially looking for one and helped me a ton to make an educated purchase. But as others have said, go look at it. I took a look at several that looked decent in photos and were a great price, but once I saw them in person I knew they were money pits

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
Aug 7, 2008
Westminster, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
Gwendolyn
I recently picked up an 85 Whaler Outrage 18'. The cored center deck is solid as a rock and so is the transom. There is a soft spot about 6" around just off to the port side. This boat has been out of the water for 5 years now, so I know its dry, but that small spot may need to be patched or filled. @ShadBurke gave me a WEALTH of knowledge on these boats when I was initially looking for one and helped me a ton to make an educated purchase. But as others have said, go look at it. I took a look at several that looked decent in photos and were a great price, but once I saw them in person I knew they were money pits
I talked to Shad also and after our conversation I started to shy away from a Whaler restoration unless I absolutely steal it. It's still a though, but I am starting to look back at mid 90's and early 2000's GW 209 and 208. Possibly a GW 226 for the right price.

URN

Feb 20, 2018
Anchorage
Name
URN
Boat
Whaler 25
Having done two whaler restorations I can say that you're most likely going to be redoing the core on the deck lids and transom of almost all whalers from the 80's to the 90's. One was a Sentry 19ft bought sight unseen for $1400. It cost $1700 to ship it. About 6 months of work and its still a sweet platform used by my dad. If you're pulling up the deck lid go ahead and plan on getting a new fuel tank too. Since you're in there you might as well. Factor that into the budget.

The other one is a 25ft Frontier. Sweet boat with tons of deck space. The cabin is a little small so I am gathering the funds to rebuild the pilothouse and make it more gooder. If its done right then you can make it yours which is rewarding. The main complaint I have about whalers in general is the low freeboard. Some of the newer ones are fine though. Your fishing type should drive what boat style you run with.

A 22ft one with a doghouse is pretty slick. Again, depends on your fishing style. I did see a whaler that I thought was pretty sweet that would workout for those who have to chase the fish around the boat. With time, money and drive a lot of stuff is possible.

The whaler below is a 27fter I believe.

IMG_0568.JPG

IMG_0569.JPG

URN

Feb 20, 2018
Anchorage
Name
URN
Boat
Whaler 25
I talked to Shad also and after our conversation I started to shy away from a Whaler restoration unless I absolutely steal it. It's still a though, but I am starting to look back at mid 90's and early 2000's GW 209 and 208. Possibly a GW 226 for the right price.
One of the downsides of the older Grady Whites are their stringers, which can rot out and you're basically doing a full hull up resto.

One other thing about the Whalers is the gelcoat crazing. Grinding the gelocat down and re-skinning with CSM is probably the proper way to keep that from happening. Then fill and fairing after that with paint or new gelcoat. Thats something to keep in mind.

Reactions: Left Coast

ranchero

fishing-pox..?I have fishing plauge
Apr 29, 2004
SD
Name
Al
Boat
25 skipjack -Albatross
Never really thought much of whalers I like solid vs foam....until I saw a 23 guardian at my coast guard friends yard. It was in for another repower. He told me it was old. Could not believe how solid that boat was and looked massive. I thought it was 27. Very impressive. Had the side cutout for a crane.

acefuture

Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
18 Klamath "Blue Can"
I had the same general feeling after chatting with Shad as well. But I’ve been wanting an 18’ outrage for probably close to 15 years. And I’ve seen this exact boat for the past 3 years in a driveway. Once he finally decided to sell, I made him an offer based on my conversation with Shad and he magically said yes a few days later. I’ll be doing a full rebuild on it starting next month. It won’t be a traditional BW rebuild, but more so what I envision it should be. If you go the BW route, and have any questions. I can answer them as I go on my project

8C580EEF-1D6E-4560-AB99-18DE1C5CEC79.jpeg

Reactions: bazzturd