JamesTaylor

Question Everything
Jan 7, 2019
Cypress, Ca
Name
James Taylor
Boat
Not yet
I have around 10 yards of fluoro on each of the reels from last season, I am going to check for abrasion and re tie the RP but should I just trash the old fluoro and tie on new? The heavier line classes did not catch anything but got retied once or twice. The 25 and 30 did catch and was replaced every couple of trips. What do you guys think? Is it a waste to trash unused fluoro?

Last edited:

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
My spin, retie recrimp if you are targeting trophy fish

if it is coiled up from memory, a solid stretch should smooth it back out

Reactions: sickcat

H20buffalo112

El Bombero
Feb 17, 2013
San Pedro ca USA
Name
Sergio
Boat
SANCHA Bonita
Good morning in reference to your question whether the floral is good or not, there’s a simple solution if you can figure out the 25 pound breaking strength or the 30 by pulling is simply put an overhead knot in a piece of say 3 foot piece of floral and then pull and if it’s a bad it’ll break if it’s not once you get into the 25,30 pound range after that it’s gonna break .simple overhead will let you know.

Kos

The Tug Is My Drug
Aug 16, 2018
San Diego
Name
Anthony
Boat
My wife's boat (yup!)
When I was young I watched a guy rig up. When he was trying the knot, the line got caught on his watch for just a second. He cut the line and re tied. He said all it takes is just that one weak spot in your line to lose the fish of a lifetime. He landed a 114lb big eye on that set up later that day.

I re tie fresh mono top shots and floro every trip. If on a multi day trip, if you use a setup at all that day, even if you don't catch anything on it , before you go to bed that night put fresh top shops on and re tie.

Last edited:

red_teppin

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 8, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Boat
no
Retie new.

If it’s 100lb or greater, you could use the old for wahoo jigs.

You could also tie up some rock cod rigs with the 30-50.

Always cut up line before trashing.

Reactions: woodfish330

George Mara

Apr 22, 2015
OC
Name
Geo
Boat
Sold
I find my flourocarbon becomes “milky” after a good stretch or two rendering it more visible. Kind of defeats the stealthiness. I switch it out often but I only put about 4’ of it on top of a mono topshot for 50lb line or less.

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Retie....ALWAYS!! You can always "repurpose" that questionable leader for use on your " weed whip". Just saying....dont allow that..... to be the "alibi" for a LOST TROPHY. Good luck and be safe.

JamesTaylor

Question Everything
Jan 7, 2019
Cypress, Ca
Name
James Taylor
Boat
Not yet
That is what I was thinking, it is all getting cut up and trashed. Better safe than sorry. Also another question, what do you guys think about milky colored seaguar? The 25 lb blue label is crystal clear while the 40 lb is milky. Is that the way they come from the factory??

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Personally.... after working for many years for a number of line companies..... I would pitch that #25. "Milky"... is always a sign of molecular change in the internal structure of that line. ..whether mono or flouro. Some brands are more susceptible to this condition.

One last thing....I have mentioned here on BD before....know your tackle store...their strengths and weaknesses. Buying a fishing reel or rod (unaffected by aging) from your favorite store is fine. But think of this example. If you love fresh shrimp..... go to a place that sells ALLOT! Your chances of getting poor quality...ie getting sick... go up considerably when they sell very little daily. So BUY YOUR LINE.... from a place / store....doing high volume in that item. "Store turn around time" is key to confidence in your line purchases....as an angler. Good luck...be safe

Reactions: Koyote and Cubeye