russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
I got up at 3:30 this morning and decided to take the day off and do some fishing. Question was, do I go bottom fishing or trolling? The forecast was for 15-20 knots so Hi Kai and bottom fishing was out and ended up going to
Waianae and try my luck there. Got in the water by 6:00am and headed for the pinnacle. There was nothing at the pinnacle ( no birds, no rubbish, no fish) so I decided to head out till I find something. At 53 degrees and 16.5 miles I found a current line and decided to follow it and about 10 minutes later the center rigger came down and line started to peel out of my Penn 80 VSW....Hanapa'a! The marlin took out about 3/4 of the spool and finally slowed down enough for me to start recovering some line only to make a second run and snapped my main line losing my bird and my favorite 7" Tsutomu bullet head lure.!:shithappens: Feeling bummed out and disgusted, I tied on a new swivel, put out another lure down the center, finished setting the rest of the lines in the water and continued straight out in search of something. At 18 miles and 53 degrees my center came down again and this time I was able to subdue the marlin after a 35 minute battle with a .44 slug to the marlin's head! Boy, I love that bang stick! I managed to haul the marlin into the boat and decided to call it a day and got back to the harbor at 12:30pm. The marlin tipped the scales at 170 lbs. It's been a long time since I caught something over 100 lbs. while fishing solo and I was pretty exhasted.....must be getting old!

Attachments

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Russel,
Great report, glad you made the decision you did (go to Waianae). Though you lost a lure, it sounds like you weren't gonna pull that first fish in the boat (3/4 spool on an 80 and then a second run, big bugga). Good goin on capturing a perfect sized fish for a solo mission. Yes I agree; 44 mag bang sticks are very effective.

Cheers
Pat

AKEMI TOO

Nov 20, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Name
Steven
Boat
21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
Nice fish Russ, perfect size to eat. Haven't seen you on BD for awhile. Fishings been pretty slow recently but you still managed a nice fish. Must have been a little bouncy at 18 miles. Hope to see you out waianae side one day soon.

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
Russ, congrats and good going on your (solo) catch! That's a great looking fish, good grinds! The weather couldn't have been any better, I could have gone out further than the pinnacle in my boat. Great talking to you on the radio. Hope to meet you at the harbor one day...
Tight lines,
Jimmy

jd808

Jan 18, 2010
Kalama Valley, HI
Name
JD
Boat
24' Alii Kai "Goose"
Russ,

Congrats on your marlin...must have been hectic solo. What all the samples in the garage; no more storage unit? My wife works for Sanofi so I get the same boxes in my garage.

Aloha,
JD

changboy

Nov 9, 2009
Honolulu
Name
Brian
Boat
"PARIS C" 23 sportcraft custom
Nice one russ, seems to be alot of um around, super good going on the solo!

BNaks

Dec 6, 2009
Mililani/HI/USA
Name
Brandon
Boat
Baby Hawk
Nice marlin Russ. Solo catches like that always impress me. Someday I'll man up and get out there for a solo run...

shadzdad

Aug 6, 2010
Wahiawa,HI USA
Name
Darren
Boat
building one
Perfect size marlin for a solo trip. Seems like the "old" guys can out do alot of the younger fishermen out there, including myself. Can't wait to get my solo marlin. Dreaming of smoked marlin now. Aloha, Darren.

captdon1

Jun 4, 2009
kaneohe, hi.
Name
don
Boat
33' kamicraft "KIMI ANN"
RUSSELL ,RUSSELL, RUSSELL ''WHAT CAN I SAY'' GOOD GOING ON YOUR CATCH THATS THE WAY TO ''RUMBLE'' HAVE A GOOD ONE. ALOHA CAPTDON

Blue Ice

Apr 2, 2010
Oahu/Hawaii
Name
Big B
Boat
2670 Glacier Bay "Maddie Girl"
Russell,

Nice going on that nice Marlin. Glad you were able to put em to sleep quickly with that bang stick. Now enjoy the Smoked Marlin.
:2gunsfiring_v1:
Big B

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Right on russ, solo marlin is a great feat!
Kekoa, Thanks! Good thing it was small enough to handle by myself! I wouldn't have been able to boat one as big as the one you caught the other day.

Great job Russ.
Thanks!

Nice fish Russ, perfect size to eat. Haven't seen you on BD for awhile. Fishings been pretty slow recently but you still managed a nice fish. Must have been a little bouncy at 18 miles. Hope to see you out waianae side one day soon.
Steve,
Thank you! Yeah, been pretty quite on the fishing front for me.....didn't have much to report. Surprisingly, the water at 18 miles was pretty flat with nice current lines around. Its kinda cool when you meet fellow bloodydeckers at the harbor...looking forward to meeting you too!

Hey Russ, nice catch & great report...go load um up!
Glenn, Mahalo! Hope to continue catching some more....Sorry, I haven't been on Bloodydecks for a little while so a belated congratulations to you on your Ahi a couple of weeks ago! BTW, sorry about the delay on getting back to you on the outriggers....really don't know what I want to do with them but I'll call you once I figure things out.

That is one hell of a solo fish, congrats!

Tight lines,
Thanks Eric!

Russell,
Right one that you were able to redeem yourself. Plus you got to go home early. Good going.
Aloha,
I felt fortunate and lucky to have had a second chance at getting my marlin. I haven't had a short trip like that in a looong time! Thanks!

Russ, congrats and good going on your (solo) catch! That's a great looking fish, good grinds! The weather couldn't have been any better, I could have gone out further than the pinnacle in my boat. Great talking to you on the radio. Hope to meet you at the harbor one day...
Tight lines,
Jimmy
Jimmy, It was really nice to finally talk to you on the water! Now we just got to meet up at the washdown one day. That was one beautiful day out on the water....forgot what nice water felt like! Thanks for the kind words.

Russ,

Congrats on your marlin...must have been hectic solo. What all the samples in the garage; no more storage unit? My wife works for Sanofi so I get the same boxes in my garage.

Aloha,
JD
Howzit JD, Thanks! It was fun catching that marlin solo....it's been years since my last solo marlin so I was kinda hesitant to land it right away.....kept playing with it until it came up on its side and was bronze color. I work for Abbott Labs...hence all the Similac samples!

Nice one russ, seems to be alot of um around, super good going on the solo!
Brian, watching you catch all those fish got me motivated to pay a visit to Waianae. Thanks!

Nice job "old man", nah joking, know the feeling well myself, with the three marlin caught last week. Good job, some ono po'ke for you. Call me sometime.
Capt. Clay, Now that three marlin day is something to remember! Congratulations on that great catch. I will try to catch up with you next week! Thanks for the kind words. Go get some more.

Nice marlin Russ. Solo catches like that always impress me. Someday I'll man up and get out there for a solo run...
Brandon, I was surprised when you decided to sell your boat.....Honestly, I don't know how you could fish in anything smaller! Just be careful if and when you do go solo....got to think safety first! Thanks for the kind words.

Perfect size marlin for a solo trip. Seems like the "old" guys can out do alot of the younger fishermen out there, including myself. Can't wait to get my solo marlin. Dreaming of smoked marlin now. Aloha, Darren.
Darren, Thanks! Yeah, anything too much bigger would not have been fun to bring into my 15' boat. Go get yours!

RUSSELL ,RUSSELL, RUSSELL ''WHAT CAN I SAY'' GOOD GOING ON YOUR CATCH THATS THE WAY TO ''RUMBLE'' HAVE A GOOD ONE. ALOHA CAPTDON
Captdon, Captdon, Captdon, Thank you! Your catches have always inspired me! Still learning how to "rumble" like you guys.

Russell,

Nice going on that nice Marlin. Glad you were able to put em to sleep quickly with that bang stick. Now enjoy the Smoked Marlin.
:2gunsfiring_v1:
Big B
Howzit Big B, Thanks! Was nice to break in my new bang stick on that marlin! I haven't heard much from you recently...been going fishing?

Good going Russ! Congrats on the solo donkey.
Jeff, Mahalo! Been waiting a long time for a nice solo catch....kind was hoping it was an Ahi, but I 'll take the Marlin any day over a whitewash!

wisebob

Sep 19, 2009
honolulu, hi
Name
bob
Boat
smallsize kine
Congratulations and thanks for sharing some fish Russell.

I first had some marlin sashimi this evening and then made some homemade Chinese-style fishcake patties. Both were delicious!

bob

Attachments

BNaks

Dec 6, 2009
Mililani/HI/USA
Name
Brandon
Boat
Baby Hawk
Brandon, I was surprised when you decided to sell your boat.....Honestly, I don't know how you could fish in anything smaller! Just be careful if and when you do go solo....got to think safety first! Thanks for the kind words.
Russ, looks like I'll be keeping my boat for a while, I can't get a decent offer. Now my boat is punishing me, haven't had a fish come over the rail in 3 months. Lol