Last few trips- Fish Shakas

Nemo

Oct 20, 2010
Monterey, ca
Name
Eric m. Folsom
Boat
Nemo
18 May. I had been talking to John for a while about doing some bottom fishing…John also wanted to do some trolling so I agreed to do a ½ day troll/bottom fish trip. Got to the Harbor around 0430..loaded the gear and Headed out around 0545 at 23 knots…nothing on U buoy so we went out to the 1000 and turned north. Started seeing a few birds searching so we dropped lines and picked up two aku. We pushed out a little outside the 1000 and no rubbish or bird sign... Nothing on LL so we swung in to the 240 and started running south..picked up the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] aku…by 1230 we were already at my bottom fishing spot...First few drifts rendered a few tiny moana and huma humas…Stan and Steph had no issues getting hits but Glen on the other hand was having some issues..I gave him a little help and got a few on for him. I would find the fish on the screen back down into the swell and keep the boat stationary (relatively) for their 125 ft drop. As soon as their lines hit the bottom I would see stan and Steph hook up I would run to the back and get a fish on for Glen. Third Drop..by the time I went to grab Glens pole it doubled over and started screaming..I tightened the drag a bit (40#braid) and started slowly working the fish…Once he was about 10 ft off the bottom I handed the pole to glen. I walked him through how to fight the fish all the way up…At about 10 ft I could see that it was a table boss…was actually the largest I have ever seen..I told Glen to leave it in the water and stay calm that I was going to gaff it. (It was bigger than the Aku). As I got the gaff in hand an turned I saw the 5-7 # table boss…airborne. I think everything turned to slow motion as I watched the fish fly in the air…the hook fly out and then drop down by the motor…the fish sat there long enough for throw up a shaka (Shaka 1).
Glen stan and step.jpg

20 May. KBay again. Got a late start…dropped the kids off at school went on a solo hunting trip… headed out at 1230 running 27.5 knots. Dropped my lines just short of MM and made a few passes…nothing. Turned east and started heading out to the 30-35 mile range…saw a little small rubbish around but nothing large enough to work…Got to 30 miles and turned south slightly for 2-3 miles..no rubbish…all the birds kept going out.. I headed back in to the 25 mile range to the area where I saw the scattered rubbish… Nothing no piles, no birds lots of nothing. Started working toward U buoy and started finding small scattered rubbish around the 20 mile range… At 16 miles I found a floating something that looked like a crate or window blind…it had lots of bait under it…hanapa. Landed the first Mahi no problem.18#.. Got the lines back out and made another pass..just before I came up on the rubbish hanapa…Turned the boat down sea and decided to try my stand out solo in calm water…well it was fine until I started leadering the fish..the tactics my mentor taught me did not play well solo with my center post… I had to reposition the boat two times as the mahi was not cooperating at all…I should have left the rod in the stupid gunnel…As I was putting the boat down sea of the mahi again I pulled back on the throttle and the line went slack and of course the mahi was gone.. in disbelief I went to check on the line and pulled then snatched twice on the line then the line snapped out of my hand by another mahi. The fight started again…this time I just decided to land the fish ASAP, screw moving the boat. Finally got the leader and wrapped...I put the gaff in position and slide the fish forward in front of the gaff as I was just about to hook the fish it turned and made a b-line for the motor…concerned for my lure I snatched the line back..the fish came out of the water, into the boat behind me, wrapped around the rod on the corner and started flipping out on my cooler...Now I still have the leader wrapped on my hand...the hook is wrapped around my corner rod..the Gaff is in the other hand and the fish is behind me…WTF… Now this takes place over only a few seconds but I swear it was like 2 minutes…I watch helpless as the hook gets embedded in the rod handle (small foam handled aku rod) the mahi flies off the hook and back into the motor well…That is when it just gets crazy..The fish sits there for like 3-5 seconds and is looking right at me…Then he flips and swims away…I swear if a fish could throw up da shaka I would have just got the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] shaka of the week…Are you freaking kidding me??? As you can figure that ended the feeding frenzy on that piece of rubbish searched around for about another hour then I headed on in.
Mahi1.jpg

24 May. My best friend Mark and his girlfriend Heidi were out visiting this week…I asked Mike to take us out on his rig. Left the harbor at 0500…Dropped lines at the 1500 and headed to deeper wata. Picked up a trail of whites…followed the trail for a while and they kept going...Started picking up lots of tiny rubbish. Ran into a few at about 1130 we found our first aku pile…was moving fast but we managed to put the lines in and take a double… Got one in the second one dropped… fish would not let us back in and we quickly lost interest…37 miles out we find a boot floating…picked up a double mahi on da boot… 42 miles out no rubbish…blind ono strike (28#)… now it is 1300 and we started heading in…at 29 miles we took another blind ono strike (10#). Found another aku pile on the 1000 and took another double. Was a beautiful day on the water. Had a great time and created some good memories with Mark and Heidi.
<o:p> Mark1.jpg</o:p>
24 May...Been a long time since I tried out the West side…I decided I would do a little late morning scouting before the trip on the 25[SUP]th[/SUP]. Took off about 0900 and ran straight to R buoy… It was like a parking lot…I decided to let them fight for the fish…I was not interested in getting my lines cut off… Ran a little farther and found the large porpoise piles...I saw Shannon at R buoy so I decided to pass the information… they already worked the porpoises earlier that morning... Never hurts to throw a little info. I worked the porpoises for about 2-3 hours and then I worked my way out to the pentacle... I started noticing small floating rubbish in the trough… I turned up sea and found the porpoises again. They were feeding a bit and I worked them a little longer…then headed in. Though the forecast predicted east winds I was seeing south swells and south winds south of the pentacle and north of the pentacle I noticed the opposite.. I also noticed that there was a strong current in the trough pushing northward in the afternoon…carrying some larger rubbish…interesting.
<o:p> Rubbish.jpg</o:p>
25[SUP]th[/SUP]- I decided to run out of Waianae again since a friend of mine just caught an Ahi in the porpoises. I called my buddy Scotty who had been asking to come out for a while…we could never get our schedules synchronized...So it was me, my son Wesley and Scotty. Got to the harbor at 0400 and as usual we were the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] one at the ramp but the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] to launch lol… Started heading to Keana Point...Not much on the Inside V...except aku piles that don’t bite anything I am running. Headed out past the point to North shore side…found a Ewa bird swooping on some mololo… Made a pass…Hanapa… Line starts stripping...I got Scotty on the reel and slowed the boat…The fish was acting really funny…was coming slowly to the boat but not like a mahi…Scotty said...it’s a Mahi…I said Are you sure that is not acting like a Mahi acting more like an Ono...I finally got a glimpse of the fish…it was light blue and big around…Checked it out with the binos and I saw the word “Hawaiian” on the fish…Oh lord. Scotty said…OMG it is a mahi mahi …I really had to suppress my laugh because it was an empty bag of ice… I said yea man get him if you get him in you can take him home with you…lmfao. As he reeled the ice bag within gaff range I said it is not a mahi…lol. After a short break we headed out to the pentacle. Found the same conditions with the tide seas and currents as before…We worked south of the pentacle playing connect the dots with the rubbish and hanapa…immediately I see it is a hebi from the cool looking dance they do. The fish basically came straight to the boat…I put the gaff out too late and hit the fish behind the head but it turned and jabbed its bill between the motor and the trim pump…Oh lord here we go again.. So I carefully dislodge the bill and start to bring the fish in the boat…but at the same time the big chrome lure slides down the leader (Should have reeled farther up...OMG.) and the leader wraps around the step ladder.. So I got the hebi on the gaff in my right hand and I climb up and on to the swim step to and reach down with my left hand to unwrap the line…Luckily the seas were calm or I would went for a cold dip.. Finally got a fish on the deck…1400… We started heading in as I wanted to get an early start on the pentacle on Monday.
Wes Scotty hebi1.jpg

26[SUP]th[/SUP]. Met the crew at the ramp at 0400… Was going to be a short day but no need to start late. Headed straight out to the pentacle… Well the rubbish was gone…The first thought was oh man the tide is wrong… As I was moving to the trough I Noticed a floating square about ¼ of a mile inside...We motored to the square to find that it was some kind of memorial floating platform... I stayed back as not to disturb it but it looked like someone might have passed away at sea or something. I found lots of rubbish basketball size or smaller and a few newer rubbish fronds and logs. Nothing really old and none of it had any bait or fish or birds on it. We decided to head into the 1000... We picked up the porpoise piles and all the boats between R, V, and the 1000 headed out towards us. We played in the pile for about 1 hour and 30 min with no hits… Eventually we got off the pile and it went down or something… We stayed going the same direction as the pile and started noticing the strong current and pieces of rubbish floating… I looked down at my GPs and I told the crew that I have caught fish here in the past….a few seconds later the long rigger and long corner both snap… The long corner stopped but the long rigger kept going… Right as I got someone on the reel and told the rest of the crew to start clearing the lines…the reel stopped…I kind of figure that the fish struck short or got a bad hook up…dang! I let one of the crew drive the boat the same direction and I went back to put the lines back up...I got the long rigger up fast..took a little longer on the long corner…as soon as I got it back up and turned around it snatched off the clip again…and let go… Normally I would think it was a loose clip but the clips are tightened down all the way. So that does not except with 9+ inch lure going 11-12 knots. Three hits no fish…Dang. We worked the area a little longer and noticed the boats/porpoise piles were moving outside the point… We trolled over to the area and saw 4 stationary boats and 10 others working around the porpoise pile...I made 2 passes and called it quits…Crew was tired and sick… was planning an early day anyway.
<o:p> </o:p>
This weekend is my last weekend with the boat so I will be fishing sat and Sunday…Hopefully I will get an ahi this weekend!
See ya'll out on the water.
Nemo

Slow Poke

SeaKhunt
Jun 6, 2010
Kailua, HI.
Name
Jeff
Boat
21' Kencraft
Great report dude. I held back from scrolling down to the pics so I could enjoy the suspense. Love the details. I'm with you on the ahi hunt. Dying to het my first one of the season. Keep at it, their out yhere.

Nemo

Oct 20, 2010
Monterey, ca
Name
Eric m. Folsom
Boat
Nemo
Great report dude. I held back from scrolling down to the pics so I could enjoy the suspense. Love the details. I'm with you on the ahi hunt. Dying to het my first one of the season. Keep at it, their out yhere.
Thanks bro. Good luck to you too man!

Hij

Aug 1, 2011
Mililani HI
Name
Jason Hijirida
Boat
25 Force, PAIGE H
Fishing been slow, but you always do great. Sorry for case of the shakas! Hope you get your Ahi before you leave. Boat is going, but your always welcome to come with us till you leave.

jma1978

Bird Catcher
Apr 29, 2010
Oahu
Name
Josh
Boat
24' Yellowfin
Great report. Love the story of the solo trip. I had the same experience with the mahis when I went out solo. Seems like once they see you're alone, they decide they aren't getting in the boat, and there's nothing you can do to change their mind.

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Good goin Eric and various crews,
You are good at getting blood in the box; I hope you have a banner weekend and slay some montsaz!!!

Cheers
Pat