Last chance lobster and a diver in the harbor

WaterDawg

Jun 28, 2008
Ladera Ranch, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
17' Whaler
Decided to hoop LB on closing night. Current was bass ackwards from normal and that seemed to shut them down. Ended up with only 3, although one was a six pounder. Did have some wide-open calico fishing between pulls, caught lots of fish to two pounds and got freight trained and broken off twice on 10lb line.

On the way in, around 11 PM, we see a 14'+/- aluminum boat with an outboard sitting about ten feet off the rocks on the east side of Pier J. Looks curious because we don't see anyone in the boat. No anchor light or dive flag. So we circle around to get a closer look, see that there is gear and stuff in the boat, but no boater? Looked like he tied up to the kelp line. Shined the spotlight around and saw nothing else in the vicinity. We were just about to call the harbor patrol and report a possible MOB when I see a glow coming from underwater near the rocks about 50 yards from the boat. Drove over and could see a diver working the rocks. Pretty sure it is illegal to dive in the harbor, and seemed pretty dangerous with no dive flag, no anchor light, and no partner.

Kevin

Upvote 0

jaw1970

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 6, 2008
Long Beach, CA. USA
Name
John
Boat
Koa Honu 28 Skipjack
Glad you got some on the last night. Another BDer reported a skunk. I'm pretty sure I've seen those guys out there before, well it's always been two guys I've seen. They load up.

Upvote 0

no bananas

Feb 4, 2004
Moreno Valley, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
Kencraft Challenger 220 WA
Kevin, diving east side of Pier J is actually legal. But as you correctly enumerated I will most likely not dive that area because of boat traffic and safety reasons associated with it.

Upvote 0

WaterDawg

Jun 28, 2008
Ladera Ranch, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
17' Whaler
Kevin, diving east side of Pier J is actually legal. But as you correctly enumerated I will most likely not dive that area because of boat traffic and safety reasons associated with it.

I was with some guys who were diving inside the Cabrillo wall a few years ago and harbor police told us to leave, no diving inside of the breakwater. Maybe its different in the LA side of the harbor vs. LB side?

Upvote 0

no bananas

Feb 4, 2004
Moreno Valley, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
Kencraft Challenger 220 WA
Kevin,

What goes and what doesn't always have been a big fog for me. In an effort to stay on the right side of the law, I have been in written communication with the Port of Long Beach. The Port said, it is illegal to dive inside the Long Beach Harbor. However oil islands and the parts of Pier J is are not parts of Long Beach Harbor hence diving is allowed there. But because of heavy boat traffic and safety reasons, I never dove those areas anyway.

Here is somewhat of a long winded response from the Port.

"In January 2014, the Port of Long Beach amended its tariff to remove restrictions on fishing (including hoop-netting) from boats. As long as anglers’ boats do not interfere with vessel traffic, people are allowed to fish from boats. Fishing from land is restricted to the public fishing area just south of the Queen Mary/Carnival Cruises dome.

However, there is no recreational diving allowed in the Port complex, even if it is for recreational fishing.

But the places that you are proposing to dive at are not entirely in the Port complex. The oil island Freeman is not in the harbor district/Port complex at all, so diving is allowed there. I’m told you are not allowed to go on the island or the island’s rocks, which should not be a problem for you.

The area you have outlined at Pier J is actually half in the harbor district/port and half out. I’m told there are “range marker lights” (with flashing red lights) on those two pincer-like breakwaters that you have highlighted. East of those, as long as you keep your boat out of the way of the cargo ships and other traffic, you can dive around those rocks..........."