Larry Brown 10 day on the Intrepid

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Let em eat 74, Nov 15, 2017.

1. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Congratulations to you! And I had to laugh, you had close to a quarter-ton of prime tuna in the hold and your wife was happy that you got some bottom fish! Sounds familiar.

Olddog8 likes this.
  2. cow man

cow man Tuna addict

Name:
    Jake Waardenburg
    Boat:
    N/A
    Wow!! Congrats!

3. Elesky

Elesky Newbie

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Eel
    Kevin,

Great write up of the trip. It was great fishing with you and laughing with you. Hope to fish with you again.

Eric

RockHopperNCKA likes this.
  4. Montaukmaniac

Montaukmaniac Thats my son, not me.

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
    Awesome ...

Thanks so much for the inside scoop, on what was a legendary trip!

A hell-of-tail!

5. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Hello again Eric and Jackie. I had a great time with you guys and I very much look forward to fishing and laughing with you both again. Sorry it took a bit Jackie, I was in the middle of my story and I couldn't send it right away. Welcome to the nuthouse known as BloodyDecks Eric. You'll fit right in

6. speyman

speyman Iron Chucker

Name:
    jack-e
    Boat:
    Intrepid, Ms Magoo
    it was our pleasure K-dog. Fun to be in on a historical moment.

Only 9 weeks till the 15 day........

7. Let em eat 74

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Get one for me too Jackie. May the gods of wind and sea smile upon your entire trip.

8. Retired1

Retired1 Fishing n Music

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Jailbait sold
    Yes Kevin was my roomie but at first meeting here on BD we were not roommates but faith had us together. And another member Kevin was also on this post, so we kinda knew each other and the 3 of us were always smoking on deck haha.
    I think I got my fish on the 2nd day of the bite.I was tangled up with another fisherman who hooked up to a shark and the tangle was so bad the line had to be cut and had to be spliced and retied again. Here I was thinking do I have enough line on this boat rod since about a quarter of the line was cut off. I loaned this rod cos my od penn intl 50sw 2 speed weight was taking a toll on my right wrist. Oh hell I just got my sardine out on the flyline and was letting off line when I was next to Ron who asked me "anyone got bit yet" and there went my line lifting straight out of the water. Ron then told me "go get it Chris" and I was battling the fish walking it up the port side to the bow of the boat.
    There the fish was just swimming along and I was reeling the line in to straighten the line, Capt Arthur came running up by my side trying to see and guess what I was hooked up to. The fish was then just swimming not fighting but the line was heavy as I was trying to gain line. It just swam out to sea again and I was reeling it back using the rod on the rail trying to tired, the fish just did not seem to know it was hooked and was swimming around and back of the anchor line about 4 times before it was finally on the starboard bow when it finally took line heading out and the fight was on. Although it didn't run that far about 100 yards the line felt heavy and Capt Sam was upstairs looking down still trying to find out if the fish was big and is it a tuna! Finally Capt Art confirmed it was big and it is a tuna.I just used the rainshadow rod to my advantage never letting the fish take advantage of me for I have a bad neck n back. I then sat on the rod bending it as far everytime the fish rested and reeled it in.
    The fish then swam to the port side again and fought me from there and this time came back and ran under the anchor line Capt Art took my rod and went to the bow to untangle the fish from the anchor. When I saw him doing this I had so much confidence in his handling and advise he had given me so far I knew he was a professional in handling the situation. He then handed the rod back to me and the fight was on again. From the starboard he ran back to port bow and this time was his final run he circle and finally for the first time we saw him it was big and was gaffed with 3 mates and finally brought in to the stern thru the side door. He was 74 inches long n about 50 inches wide I couldn't see that well then with my sweat running into my glasses. He was 236lbs my personal best with not much fanfare cos everybody was busy or on a fish. I just had to thank the Lord who let me harvest one big lifetime fish. this made my 10 day trip.
    I have to thank Larry, Capt Sam and all the crew and chef and his asst and all the fine friends I have made who made this trip memorable, what a fine lot of gentleman to be on the same boat.

IMG_7910.JPG IMG_8119.JPG DSCF7909.JPG DSCF7964.JPG DSCF8255.JPG 20171103_090013.jpg

Attached Files:

Hokies, vegasandre, Olddog8 and 6 others like this.
  9. Let em eat 74

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    I remember that Chris. Ron asked if anyone was getting bit and looked at your reel and said "you're bit". Just like that you were off to the races. You had just dropped in next to the boat..right?

Retired1 likes this.
  10. makomiko

makomiko makomiko

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Hobie Pro Angler 12
    I was on the Spirit of Adventure when your line crossed our anchor roller. The deckhand said that fish was moving pretty fast. Got my cow after a 2 hour battle that ended in the dark, that darn fish wrapped itself around the anchor line, the crew did a great job getting it untangled, even had to pull the anchor. makomiko aka Keebler

11. Retired1

Retired1 Fishing n Music

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Jailbait sold
    Hi Mike, we heard that you guys had to make bait but how was the catch on the boat parked near us?

12. Retired1

Retired1 Fishing n Music

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Jailbait sold
    Kevin, Yes I just got that big sardine on and it was swimming good and away from the boat as I was moving off the stern and stopped maybe 15 to 20 ft was when it happened but the bait was at least about 100 ft away when it got bit.
    I do have quite a bit of videos and pics it will take me some time but I will piece it together and post it on Youtube you can search under Localguy8 it's my music channel.
    Kevin reading the blow by blow you wrote you have other talents other than fishing I just found out about you.

20171103_181920.jpg DSCF7873.JPG DSCF7941.JPG DSCF8166.JPG IMG_7849.JPG IMG_7984.JPG IMG_8057.JPG IMG_8102.JPG IMG_8120.JPG

RockHopperNCKA and cow man like this.
  13. Let em eat 74

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Yeah Mike, I buttoned the drag as soon as I felt it. Hopefully there was no damage to your anchor line. Those fish were sure tough and much more like the fights I've heard about when they are teenagers but add 100# (or #200) to it. Glad you got one too.

makomiko likes this.
  14. RockHopperNCKA

RockHopperNCKA Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    Do kayaks count?
    It was great spending 10 days with you guys!

Although the fishing turned into exactly what I hoped it wouldn't, I still had a good time and met a bunch of really great people. Many thanks to Super Kevin for all of the help and advice...and especially for getting me back in the right frame of mind with our late-night 30 minute grouper session the second or third night on the banks. :D

The Intrepid, the Intrepid crew, the passengers, and especially the food were everything I had hoped they would be! The boat is big, spacious, and quiet and I'm pretty sure I spoiled myself by taking my first long range trip on her. Every single one of the crew were amazing and it was actually pretty awesome watching them work. Cameron donned fins and a snorkel on at least two occasions, ready to hop in and deal with any tangles below the surface. Multiple gnarly tangles were magically untangled. Rods were seamlessly passed back and forth, over, under, over, and under the anchor-line again and again. The passengers were also great. Everybody worked well together and pretty much knew the routine. Just about everybody (besides myself) fished hard through what in reality was four days of pretty slow fishing, and there wasn't one single "That Guy" on the trip...unless it was me for being That Guy that spent more time resting and watching movies than fishing....lol. The food was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. Daniel and Johnathan killed it every single meal and snack...and late night snack. I think whatever boat picks up Daniel will have a loyal following of good food lovers!

Many thanks to Larry Brown, as well. His enthusiasm is super contagious and it was awesome watching him catch his PB fish twice, each time pretty much casually walking his fish around the boat with a big smile on his face....not to mention the man throws one hell of a raffle! And thanks to him, Ron Huth, and Kevin I came home with more than the few small tuna I caught at the Ridge and on our way home. My old lady is super grateful, as well, and our house has smelled like poke since I've been back!

I don't think I can swing the trip in 2018, but will more than likely be back the following year.

Retired1 and dh515 like this.
  15. Let em eat 74

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    I'm really glad you were able to make it home with some pretty good table fare Dustin and it was my pleasure to help you do so. I enjoyed the time on the water and the friends I made onboard as much as the fishing. Here's to having more than just turkey this thanksgiving!!!! Cheers

Retired1, RockHopperNCKA and dh515 like this.
  16. makomiko

makomiko makomiko

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Hobie Pro Angler 12
    Your line was rubbing on the top of the anchor roller, not the rope, good thing for us, not for you. We were anchored up quite a distance from you. Yes, we ran into Mag Bay a couple nights to make bait, with the full moon it was tough bait making, but managed to fill a tank each night, you guys carry a lot more, it's nice to load up in San Diego and not have to get up around 11:00 pm. We got 10 or 11 over 200 lbs. with our largest about 350. They were blowing up off our stern quite a few times, I'am sure you experienced that. Yes those fish were mean. Our charter master Ben, from Avet reels, said these were some of the toughest fish he has ever encountered, and he's a guy who has fished a lot. Picked up my fish Thursday from 5 Star, excellent job as always. Mike aka "Keebler"

Retired1, Fishybuzz and Bill W like this.