Larry Brown 10 day on the Intrepid

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Let em eat 74, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    The dust has settled, and many of us have seen the pictures or heard a few stories. A week later and I'm still in awe of the wonderful trip that was put together for us by our chartermaster and by team Intrepid.

Stepping onto the Intrepid you are greeted by the yatch like feel and the luxury immediately. The salon is beautiful and comfortable and the fit and finish of the whole vessel speaks of what was intended from it's inception. Staterooms are extremely comfortable and there is ample space for all the tackle, bags, and bs we all bring along. I know my roomie, met him here first on bloody decks and there is good vibe right from the start. We have a friendly bunch, and it feels that way immediaty. After storing my gear in the room, it's time to head up top.

We load our bait, and it's perfect healthy 6-9" sardines with some Big Macs in there as well. We are going to catch fish, and this bait is going to make that happen, you can tell just by looking at it. The bait tanks of the Intrepid are huge and it takes a while to load them. The time taken allows you to appreciate how well it's set up. There are handwells either side and plenty of room to move around. This maybe a luxury yacht on the outside, but it's purpose is impossible to mistake. This is a fishing machine, and I'm glad I'm on it.

We meet our charter master Larry Brown amd I can tell why he has so many sponsors. Great guy all the way. He is friendly, well spoken, and always willing to share tips or help in any way. He has brought more giveaways than I've ever seen and we all shopped across the various tables of the galley that were loaded with goodies.

The first night is typical for the boat, we have a prime rib dinner and Sam our captain gives us the rundown. We are headed south to the ridge and it will be a bit of travel. No sweat, we have 10 days to kill and a lot of bait to drown. Bring it on!

I begin my first day of travel with rigging and it doesn't take long at all. Those who know me know I'm a minimalist. I've brought 5 well sorted rigs with me and I am going to use them all.

They are all full spectra to short topshot rigs and they can fish up and down in line class when needed. Those of you looking to get started on gear, it may be a good place to start. These are my rigs.

25# Calstar 800ml and Diawa 20 loaded with 50# spectra
    40# Calstar 875h and Penn 25nld2 loaded with 65# spectra
    60# Calstar 800xh and Penn 40nld2 loaded with 80# spectra
    100# Calstar 775xxh and Penn 16visx loaded with 100#
    50# Jigstick Cousins 90j and Diawa 40

While I spent a little time here and there changing topshots, I didn't have any problems doings so. The biggest change is going to wahoo fishing, but when we were targeting those skinny bastards, I knew it and I was ready. I use the modified Albright to tie my flouro on and I have a lot of confidence that I tie it well. For jigs, hooks, or wahoo leaders I use the San Diego. Neither of these knots have failed me and I trust them both. Use your own judgement as to what works for you, I put this out there only for information's sake.

The Ridge

The welcome sound of the mains spinning down is like music to my ears. It's time to fish and we are ALL ready. The chum brings immediate response and although small, the boils are numerous and voracious. Our arrival at the grounds has been greeted by yellowfin, yellowtail, and skipjack all about 8-15#. This isn't the grade we are looking for, but it helps us all get used to fishing together as a team. I lost count how many I hooked and fought because I let them all go. Safe to say it was over 30 that first flurry. In the end I tag one that was the biggest at 25# but I'll admit it was mostly to take the blank spot off my number on the board. We happily spend the rest of the day pulling on fish and laughing at each other when someone can't strait whoop one immediately. Weather is gorgeous, fish are biting, and life is good! Dinner time is all smiles and delicious.

Around 2am I awake to the sound of a gaff hitting the deck. After bouncing fish most of the day I'm now aware the grade has gotten better. I get on deck and bag a few bigger models to 30# before they slow. Content with my catch, I head back to sleep. Morning brings more of the same mixed bag but the pace is not what we want. Sam informs us we are moving further south down the line in search of better grade and a shot at wahoo. Our night is spent moving, but onboard you barely notice it. The seas are smooth and the Intrepid rides like a Cadillac.

Another gorgeous sunrise greets those of us who wake for it. It's Halloween and I don my costume and I'm not the only one. My roomie is Spock, we got a Luchadore and Mayhem aboard too. Now near the southern edge of the ridge, there is more traffic than before. It is minimal, but its presence is felt by the wahoo who are non existent except for a few that make it onboard. The tuna are bigger still with more than a few nicer grade to maybe 40#. The the cries of "Superman is hooked up again" get called out it and it makes me smile, I'm having a good day again. We pull the plug when it slows and head for the Thetis a few hours away.

Thetis

We arrive at the bank in the afternoon and my troll rotation is up. I've got my hooker intruder ready for its maiden voyage (thanks again Jerry) and to say I'm excited for it is a huge understatement. The boat takes a wide turn so I get to see it in action in the now clear water. It's wiggle really is amazing. I'm so busy watching it like a doofus, I didn't notice the lit up striper until it almost had it. Thankfully she turned off when I pulled it away. The ocean is suddenly thick with them, and as soon as we stop, there are 5 on bait including myself. I break mine off as soon as it greyhounds across the surface. It's not what I'm looking for and I don't want to be changing any spectra this trip. The show was amazing as maybe 200 stripers lit up every bait either chummed or casted. I just sat back and watched with everyone not hooked up. There were many first time guys aboard and they had a ball so we left them to it. If the crew was annoyed, they sure never showed it. Always professional and helpful no matter the circumstance. Sam has been gathering intel and things are about to get REAL. Big fish are biting to our south and we are going to get into position for our shot.

At dinner we are greeted by our captain and he tells us the plan. Everyone who needs a heavy rig raises hands and the crew is already busy upstairs rigging. A seminar is given on flyline, sinker rigs, and what to do when on the kite rotation. As a group we are excited, but we still have no idea what we are in for. I get my heavy rig ready. 12' of Seagar premier 100# to my 100# solid with my same trusty knot I start with a 4/0 Hayabusa circle. I like this hook for it's small offset and very sharp conical point which makes pinning a bait easy and keeps them alive well. It wouldn't take long before switching to a 5/0 the following day. I test my drags repeatedly since the reel is brand new and I find a setting I'm happy with that gives me 29# at strike and 42# at full. I am in uncharted territory, but I am ready.

Chasing Giants

Up until this point of the trip no one would know I wasn't a seasoned long ranger. I have gone on a half dozen 1.5-3.5 day trips every year for almost a decade with many years of overnight and private boat fishing before that. Fishing for cow yellowfin was totally new to me as my previous best YFT was a paltry 70#. I relied on the experience and knowledge of both our charter master Larry, the crew, and of a veteran long ranger on our trip Ron Huth. At dinner I asked questions, got answers, and formulated my game plan based upon both it and my past experience. I wouldn't get much sleep.

We arrived on the bank and there was activity already. Fishing our local bight, I am accustomed to reading the terns. Here it's different with the local frigate birds and their behavior being new to me. They are working the area and the first sonar marks and bait thrown brings an immediate response from the locals. BOIL!!! Larry drops back and connects immediately with a frisky fish that looks to me about 140# when it hits the deck shortly after. This fish shows nothing about the grade of fish we are on and was the smallest of those landed in this portion of the trip. We set the anchor and get to work. Seeing Larry's fish bite so fast I make the mistake of thinking it's going to go wide and butt hook my first bait in. This has always served me well in a quick bite, but it proved to be the wrong place and time for it. We spend the rest of the day soaking baits and get 4 or 5 I think for our efforts but several are lost for one reason or another. The grade however is amazing. We got only 2 under 200 and the other 2 are easily over with one pushing 275 caught by Larry on the kite. I have to admit I spent this day in a spiral. I skipped every meal and stayed glued to the rail working all day for not even a sniff. Baits were great, my new reel was amazing with incredible freespool, but I couldn't connect and it had me annoyed inside. Flyline, sinker rig, and even the chandelier...I tried it all for no result. Late in the afternoon, Ron connects and it's a good one. Huge tail beats and just a damn stubborn fish that won't go to the up and down battle. It runs back and forth near the surface and won't give up. He gets it close just to watch it empty his spool once again and he is getting a little nervous. This fish is both smart and big and proves it by tangling itself on the stabilizer. Captain Sam is up to the task however and runs to the back of the boat with gaff in hand and gets the line as the spool is quickly running out once again. He handlines the fish with the crews help while Jack cuts loose and then reties the line now free from danger all while Cameron has a mask, snorkel, and fins ready to get wet if needed. It was teamwork like I've never seen on a boat with everyone set to their task and in the right place to accomplish it. Ron goes to work once again and after a 3 hour battle the beast finally is subdued. We all stare in disbelief as the tape tells its tale .....300+!!!!! Huge high fives and maybe some tears of joy are shed. After over 30 years of chasing, Ron has done it, and on a 10 day trip no less. I couldn't have been happier for him and for the crew as well, who took every fish as a victory.

As the evening winds down I spend a few hours on the glow tady 14 while Larry works a JRI 8. I like his jig better, but neither one connects. I'm still trying hard but not getting any love. I hit the bed both exhausted and dejected.

Morning comes (sort of at 4:00) and I'm greeted by Ron as usual. We are both early risers and he is basking in the glow of his hard fought victory. The smile on his face looks like it's been there all night. I get strait to it because I want my shot. The day goes slowly at first with just maybe 5 more landed. All quality fish over 200 with most pushing 250. About 3 we make a move and it's magic. Sam has done his job and we are in the middle of it. Huge blow ups are happening everywhere around us and we have 3-4 going all the time. My body is so tense and sore but I'm still glued to the rail and only ate the snack so far today. BOIL!! OH MY!!! BOIL!!! Eric is up on the kite now and he gets to watch first hand as a giant jumps clear and then pounces on the double trouble rig. The avet 80 whines and then suddenly it just gives up. The fish comes in tail first in 10-15 minutes and it's HUGE. I saw the head break water as it was gaffed and was shocked. It broke 2 gaffs because it was so hot and one of the tailbeats sounded like someone did a cannon ball off the top deck. This fish taped at 350 and high fives and hugs went around. I'm happily watching when......I'm bit oh shit I'm bit. Drag slowly to strike and I'm stuck to him good. Now I see Hakeem is bent too and he thinks he is snagged on my fish and goes light. One giant head shake tells a different tale however as it doubles both rods over...we both got him!! Art is on it immediately. Rod tips together and here we go. Both of us are using 30# of drag. Hakeem pumps his rod and I strait grind with mine in low gear. There were times that I had full weight on mine and times he had more pressure but the fish had no chance. It spiraled strait to the boat like a tractor beam in just 5 minutes. I leaned in for another pull just as the crew sank 4 gaffs in its head simultaneously...it was over. Not 15 minutes after Eric's monster came aboard, it was dwarfed by ours on deck. Almost 90" x59" 372# was the tale of the tape conservatively. HOLY SHIT! I just beat my personal best by 300#. How absurd is that! Seeing the looks on the faces of both anglers and crew was awesome and something I will never forget. Of all the jackpots I've won this was just sooo different and I got to share it with a great guy I enjoyed both fishing and talking with.

Ok it's getting late I'll finish this tomorrow

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  2. coastalwerks

coastalwerks Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lance De Guzman
    Boat:
    Local Kine!
    Thanks Kevin for the lively report with such details. Sounds like an awesome trip, way to go!

Bill W likes this.
  3. DC61

DC61 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Paul L.
    Boat:
    33’ Blackfin
    Great first hand report. Looking forward to part 2.

4. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Congrats on an awesome trip, Kevin. Sounds like your adventure was one for the history books! Larry Brown is a great guy, good fisherman and effective charter-master. His fishing charity work for kids and vets are also very good causes.

- Jeff Burroughs

Retired1 likes this.
  5. Soda Pop

Soda Pop I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David Rouse
    Boat:
    Long range fishing
    Great report. Now that is a monster you got. Congrats. I was on the trip before yours and you guys make history. Larry Brown and the Intrepid team..... you can't go wrong there.

Retired1 and Let em eat 74 like this.
  6. tunacraze

tunacraze Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Steve Brunton
    Boat:
    The Big Ones
    Great report Kevin! I hope to be in your shoes if February when I take my first cow trip to PV. My PB is also just 75 lbs., but like yourself I have lots of experience. Looking forward to part 2! Thanks!

7. Tackleho619

Tackleho619 Member

Name:
    Tackleho619
    Boat:
    Any
    Awesome report, congrats on the supercow:-)

8. eric harner

eric harner Caliente Tuna

Name:
    Azlandlocked
    Boat:
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    What a wright up ..felt like I was there. Congrats on the super cow !! :hali_olutta:

9. speyman

speyman Iron Chucker

Name:
    jack-e
    Boat:
    Intrepid, Ms Magoo
    i was there, like he said.

Big sardines on long soaks. Or the guy who backlashed his cast and got picked up 3 feet from the boat

And yes Kevin, Ron does not sleep. He stays up all night making bullet bombs in his bunk

RockHopperNCKA and Let em eat 74 like this.
  10. Let em eat 74

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Chapter Two​

With two huge fish on the deck there are of course a ton of pictures taken. About 5 minutes in, I duck out. I have a new topshot to tie and the fish are still snapping. The kite goes off yet again and Travis on the bait tank is shouting "BOIL" with a constant and ever increasing intensity. I make my connection and shoulder hook a fresh bait. The corner is free and I'm able to use it to my advantage. I underhand my cast a solid 75 feet from the boat. Damn this new Penn is nice and I'm starting to take better advantage of it. The bait rockets away and I make my shuffle up towards the bow in pursuit. There are still pictures being taken and 4 fish hanging so everyone's busy. I am there alone when it hits me like a ton of bricks. My shoulders are no longer tense. All that struggle of the previous day and of the lead up of this one are gone. My body relaxes and I'm overcome by what has just happened, I even shed a few tears of joy. I've done it, not alone, but I've done it, and the warm glow of the moment settles on me.

My happy sardine is maybe 120 yards out when he gets crushed and wakes me from my daydream. This time it's all me. The reel's 4 strike settings come in handy as I move progressively forward. This first run is big, as are the tailbeats. I hunker down in the bow and make him really bend the rod. The crew is busy with the beautiful mayhem, but captain Sam comes to check on me. He likes what he sees and is off to help gaff another hard earned trophy. The fish stops and I go strait to work alternating between the good old lift and grind to the rail and I've got 100 yards back in no time. He turns and makes another scorching run but I just let the drag do it's work. It's getting tighter as the spool shrinks anyhow and I've still got lots of line...patience. I gain ground the moment he stops and it's maybe 300 yards out when he makes a sudden turn. There is a shudder in the line and I stand up from my knees to see my line pointed directly at the anchor line of the SOA. I bump the drag and it's a stand off. Shortly after a quick radio message to their captain, the fish wins it's freedom and she is gone. Before any of you start your rants about proximity when fishing cows I want you to know I am not mad about this at all and that has no place here on this thread. It was merely a battle lost...plain and simple. SOA has to put their passengers on fish like us and we were killing it for 3 solid hours. It's fishing and I would rather my focus be upon the incredible trip, memories, and great new friends I met on board.

As I near the back deck I see that 2 more bigs are there. Bob got another super on the kite at 330ish but Larry is still fighting his. I go into assist mode and bring him a water. He has been on for over 2 1/2 hours at this point, and is drained, but still has his cheery demeanor. 2 more waters, a banana (never hurt us on this trip!), another hour of hard fighting, and his fish is within gaff range. Gaffs go in just as Larry's line finally breaks from the immense strain and he has that moment of oh my god I lost it. A look over the rail, and there she is, another super. Cheers, high fives, and a few hugs are shared. For the second time on one trip, he has his personal best fish which would later go 325 at the dock. If I remember correctly only one more cow is brought in this afternoon. We lose our current and fishing gets really tough.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  11. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I love the report! But can I ask for you to possibly consider a personal request? My old eyes have a real hard time focusing on one giant paragraph. If it is your personal style of writing, fine, I can appreciate that. But if you would break it every four of five sentences you would spare me a focusing headache.

Congratulations of an excellent adventure! I'm really looking forward to the next chapter.

wils likes this.
  12. Let em eat 74

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Done Gary, sorry I was on a roll. Lol

Retired1, surfgoose and jer dog like this.
  13. potuna

potuna Unknown member

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Royal Star, Excel, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster, Shogun and somebody else's.
    Great report,fishing and most of all great attitude. Way to go.

14. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    Keep rolling! Thanks for the awesome play by play.

15. afraser

afraser I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    NA
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry that story was so good. Definitely praying for shrimp on my upcoming trip.

16. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    What a great report! I had previously read LB's report so new it was a good one...but your writing style added even more to the story. Congratulations on the fish and trip of a life time. I could see myself there....I'm going straight home to rearrange my cow gear and make sure everything is lined up! What great motivation these reports are!!

17. OneDay

OneDay Member

Name:
    Ed Hayden
    Boat:
    Pro-line 22 Walk
    Wow, fantastic report. I can't believe the size of those fish.

Thanks
    Ed

18. Let em eat 74

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Chapter Three

Day breaks on our third day on the lower bank and it's a quiet one. The previous evenings discussion laid out our plans for the day. We had to give it another day considering what we had put together. 5 supers, 11 cows, and not a single fish under 200. Mind blowing to say the least. We all also agreed that anyone who had not gotten one was now in the kite rotation. Our aim was to make it fair, and this leveled the field as best we could.

I'm one of the first on deck and I'm greeted by all the usual suspects. Funny how you get to know who is an early riser really fast on these trips. I cast my bait out and it makes it's usual initial run, but then nothing. Our current is gone, and along with a third day of 82 degree water, the baits aren't getting with the program.

We all try various techniques all day. Bobber balloons are deployed, kite is up, sinker rigs are out, and I once again try to entice a bite with the chandelier rig near the bottom. We have the water column and all bases covered, but the fish won't get going. They are there and Sam sees the same fat marks on sonar but no love for most of the day. We scratch out a handful of fish, all to guys who had not managed one yet, and with that, we called it done and headed north for other opportunities.

We had scored big for a 10 day trip. 5 supers, 17 cows, and 3 at less than 200. I have read plenty of reports and I can't remember seeing one that had more supers than sub 200 fish....remarkable grade indeed. 15 anglers had their personal bests and two of them had been broken twice. We were all smiles as we headed up the line.

We spent the next two days mostly traveling towards home with several hours a day spent rounding out our count. First it was more small tuna. A few fish in the 40# range came aboard and I tagged 6 myself. Along with them, came more small yellows of 10 or so pounds. Next was a stop at the grouper hole. One nice one found it's way into the RSW and I tried my best for a monster using a 4 pound yellow for bait on the dropper loop. I think it was this stop that one of the larger yellows of the trip was landed.

Day two was supposed to be all yellows but the conditions were not there for us. I spent a lot of time on the 6x heavy but had nothing but fish I didn't want to keep. I had set a personal limit of 25# and I stuck to it. We tried for a bit and then moved on to greener pastures.

We were headed to Cedros, but unfortunately not to fish. Our captain had plans of enjoying the calm water on the lee of the island for our special dinner, the seafood buffet. What a spread! Huge crab legs, oysters, clams, shrimp, so much more and in so many ways. It was absolutely delicious and a perfect spot to enjoy it. I have to hand it to our chefs Daniel and Johnathan. Every meal was so good. I'm usually a picky eater, but I ate everything and I'm sure glad I did.

The next day we did a little bit of rock codding in the morning which was a nice way to break up the travel and also nice to put some white meat in the freezer as well. This was the one time I ignored my 25# limit and my honey is happy I did. The evenings' dinner was another Intrepid tradition, filet and lobster. I am really glad I saved my final bottle of wine for it! We all fall asleep early. Maybe we just miss home at this point and sleep brings us ever closer to it. I know that's why I went to bed when I did.

We arrive at the dock to a crowd. Word is out and they have come to see what we caught. I'm not sure I have ever seen so many spectators for an arrival, but I am well aware of the tradition. We line them all up and take pictures, shake hands, and share stories. There is no shortage of smiles or awe.

image.jpeg
    All of the gang

image.jpeg
    The supers. Left to right. Bob, Ron, Eric, myself, and Larry

I want to say thank you to all the guys aboard for making this such a wonderful trip. I shared so much laughter, stories, and good times with you all and I will never forget it. I admit most of this story is about my own experience. I missed a lot of what the rest of you did and I'm sorry I didn't do a better job taking notes. Next time, I promise I will. To the Intrepid crew, Sam, Jack, Art, Travis, Cameron, and my buddy Matt thank you for all you do. Not one of these monsters would have been landed without you all.

image.jpeg
    Me and my Roomie Chris
    image.jpeg
    Superman is bit again
    image.jpeg
    Jackie, so funny!
    image.jpeg
    Ron's trophy
    image.jpeg
    Larry and Matt
    image.jpeg
    2 of our only wahoo
    image.jpeg
    Big D
    image.jpeg
    Boone, Larry, Taka, and Jackie
    image.jpeg
    Aww sh$t! Do I have to?
    image.jpeg
    Abraham ringing that bell with Art
    image.jpeg
    Another of Daniel's masterpieces image.jpeg image.jpeg

19. potuna

potuna Unknown member

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Royal Star, Excel, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster, Shogun and somebody else's.
    Nice.

20. dtf

dtf Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    22ft, Pursuit
    Outstanding my man.