Largest YFT at the Lupe?

808dc

Dec 4, 2015
Washington DC
Name
james
Boat
none
I've seen them talked about in the mid 160s (personally only seen in the 140s) but wondering if anyone's seen bigger? I know people have mentioned large BFTs back in the day, but curious to see what everyone's seen for YFTs.

Perhaps these fish move on down south when they get bigger and that's why we see them capped out in this range?

Reactions: jiggermyster

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Don't recall any Tuna over 300 caught there. Nor can I find any info of same.
    I did find the biggest Yellowtail-80lbs ever
    caught at Guadalupe, still stands. The CAL
    record Yellow=82lbs off La Jolla, 1953

themacs
    themacs
    I had heard that a gentleman caught a yellowtail at the rocks maybe 10 or 15 years ago at about 90 pounds. I also understand that he died on the way home a few days later.😞
    Upvote 0
    808dc
    808dc
    I've seen a 75lb YT come up at the Lupe. Got a 64lb YT that same trip at the rocks. This was before the Ensenada check-in/out requirement.

90lbs is insane.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
    torrance, ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Vagabond
    Don't recall any Tuna over 300 caught there. Nor can I find any info of same.
    I did find the biggest Yellowtail-80lbs ever
    caught at Guadalupe, still stands. The CAL
    record Yellow=82lbs off La Jolla, 1953
    The world record is 92 lb from Guadalupe caught by a deck hand on on the Q105 fishing flylined 30lb when everyone went in for lunch .

A few years before the world record was caught by Rone Fuji on the Shogun, 87lbs
    He dropped dead of a heart attack fishing albacore 2 days later, never knew.

Upvote 0

Tin Pangas

Skipper
    Aug 28, 2010
    Norwalk, Ca U.S.A.
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    37 Tollycraft
    The world record is 92 lb from Guadalupe caught by a deck hand on on the Q105 fishing flylined 30lb when everyone went in for lunch .

A few years before the world record was caught by Rone Fuji on the Shogun, 87lbs
    don't they have bigger yellows in New Zealand?...they call them Kingfish.

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    I've seen them talked about in the mid 160s (personally only seen in the 140s) but wondering if anyone's seen bigger? I know people have mentioned large BFTs back in the day, but curious to see what everyone's seen for YFTs.

Perhaps these fish move on down south when they get bigger and that's why we see them capped out in this range?
    Some of the tagging data suggests that some of those YFT come from Clarion, anglers fishing 40- 60# would be hard pressed to land the larger models, I got absolutely cornholed on a large model on a 20 talica that was hot rodded by Cal Sheets 4 years ago, had 80# solid Izor spectra and a top shot of 80# seegar blue label floro. I've caught numerous cows on 16 day and longer trips, this fish took 3 -4 hundred yards and ran over a high spot and broke me off. Reminded me of some fish I've lost at clarion. And I had a drag setting that was more than appropriate. I guarantee that there are bigger tuna that filter in to Guadalupe, probably underneath porpoise, catching them is a different story, especially when there eating light line.

Upvote 0

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
    torrance, ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Vagabond
    i used to hear of 300lb+ YFT and Clarion and soccoro but i don't think they can fish there anymore. Damn...can you imagine what they are like there now?!?
    Outside the Clarion buffer on the Indie many years ago we had a 340. One guy got spooled on His 50w, connected backup, it got spooled, second backup went on. After 3 hours , came unbuttoned, hook had part of fish jaw. Big fish there and shallow rocks.

With YFt biologists say they one live 6-7 years, so the so the real big ones are about aged out anyway. BfT live over 20 years.

Reactions: Bill W and Tunahead
    Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    Yes they do, over 100lb, not sure its the exact same as California YT.
    If I'm not mistaken, I think this thread is about the largest Yellowfin tuna caught at Guadalupe, Guadalupe does most likely have the biggest yellowtail that can be caught on a long range vessel, alijos rocks, and a few other places also have giant yellowtail. Two totally different creatures, both very formidable opponent's when they have home court advantage, especially giant yellowtail.

Reactions: kevina and Tunahead

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several

Interesting. Thanks for update.
    Didn't see these anywhere. LOL

Upvote 0

ExBacklasher

Old guy
  • Oct 17, 2012
    Agoura Hills
    Name
    Chuck
    Boat
    Any one that I can hop on
    Just got back from a trip on the RP, where a 70 pound yellowtail was caught at Guadalupe.

B2C18DBD-6697-46C0-9D60-1E948922FB24.jpeg

Upvote 0

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
    Sacramento
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    The Organ
    I lost a cow there three years ago. I was outgunned. I know...a "lost" fish means nothing and I could be full of horse hockey. But, when the fish came out of the water it was as big as a couch. Deckhand saw it, looked at my rig, and said, "Oh f*&k."

Reactions: 808dc and Bill W
    Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Reactions: terryc.
    Upvote 0

Uncle Bob

Feb 25, 2012
    CA
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    Birdsnest
    In 2018, I was on a 10 day on the indy and hooked a bruiser at the lupe on a loaner rod and Avet 30 reel and it peeled off 400 yds in less than a minute. I saw that I only had a few more wraps on the reel and called for the backup rig. Matt hooked it on and was screaming for me to PULL....I got down to about 20 wraps on the reel and worked furiously over the next 30 minutes to get that fish back to the boat. Once I got him in the death circle I saw a great white bite his tail off and I quickly pulled the rest of the tuna to gaff. It went 168 bled and missing a chunk at the dock.

20171030_172014.jpg

Upvote 0