flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat
31' Cabo Express
I keep saying it, but I really love the fall offshore season in Southern California. Catching fish is really just a bonus for me this time of year. I just like being out on the water in the fall.

Steven and I met at my slip in San Pedro at 5:15 a.m. and stopped by San Pedro Bait where we loaded up with two scoops of very hot small to medium sardines. Perfect bait.

Typical sunrise out on the water this time of year.

There were actually a fair number of boats out on the water looking for tuna on the local banks, including several 3/4 day boats, so I bumped us up to 26 knots and kept going until we couldn't see anyone anymore.

Eventually we were all alone behind the East End of Catalina. The weather was just beautiful. So clear.

Once we got close to where I wanted to start looking, we immediately found a pod of dolphin jumping and splashing around. I slowed down and started to get in position but noticed that we were already metering tuna, so I asked Steven to throw some bait even though we were still doing about 7-8 knots. Big yellowfin tuna started crashing pretty good, so I stopped the boat.

Long story short, the school stuck with us for a four hour drift. Every bait was boiled on immediately. Nice grade of fish too. I think the smallest fish we landed was around 25 pounds, with our largest fish well into the 40+ pound range.

We released most of our fish (some unintentionally). We did have several casualties due to the light gear we were using. We were fishing Trinidad 10a and 12a reels spooled with 30 pound braid, short 20 pound flouro leaders, small hooks, and bass rods.

One of my nicer fish.

Steven with a toad.

We left at noon when we ran out of bait.

Such a beautiful day.

Jonathan

Ryan_J

Apr 5, 2013
Long Beach, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
Jupiter 31 - twin Yamaha F300's
Nice work Jonathan! The freezer will be full again :) Looks like perfect conditions out there. Were there birds working with the dolphins?

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
Nice grade Jonathan, way to get some!!!

dmrides

Jun 23, 2009
San Diego
Name
Darren
Boat
Firstlight; Livingston 14
Solid! Beautiful pictures, great report! But what's with the black shirt?

kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I want to know where you bought the "RABBIT/FISH HAT" you have ????? It doesn't matter where you go and what you target. You always seem to pull something out of the hat that is beyond incredible. By any chance do you play the lottery?? If not maybe you should. Congrats to you on another impressive score.

Bagelboy

Bagelboy
Jun 7, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Jay
Boat
Boston Whaler Conquest 23
Will you captain my boat please!? :) I take all your info and save it in my memory! Thanks captain! We are slipped in holiday harbor, maybe your neighbor :)

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat
31' Cabo Express
Will you captain my boat please!? :) I take all your info and save it in my memory! Thanks captain! We are slipped in holiday harbor, maybe your neighbor :)
Please remember that offer if and when I sell my boat. :D

Paddyman1

A mossback is better than a hairy back
Nov 7, 2010
La Costa Izquierda
Name
Steve
Boat
N/A
Please remember that offer if and when I sell my boat. :D
Don't sell it! You'll only feel years of fishy depression - trust me. It's not one of the happiest days of a boat-owners life if you actually use it!

Nice tuna's Jonathan!

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat
31' Cabo Express
Don't sell it! You'll only feel years of fishy depression - trust me. It's not one of the happiest days of a boat-owners life if you actually use it!

Nice tuna's Jonathan!
I have owned several boats already and I agree with you. I was sad to see all of them go. But there are always periods where I go boat-less for a while, so it's nice to have a few friends with boats I can fish on.....lol.

Reactions: Paddyman1

arik lerner

Aug 29, 2009
san diego ca usa
Name
arik
Boat
topcat 42 thermadine
not ahi Ahi are 100 lb and over these are local Mexican water yellowfin that are nice but dont taste as good as Ahi hwich are in Hawaii and 800 miles around etc the islands.
but still nice going!!!

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Nice pix of sun up!! You are so right love the crisp morning. Nice grade

tap

"The Roving Angler"
BD Writer
Jun 1, 2006
Valley Center, CA
www.rovingangler.com
Name
Tony Pena
Boat
n/a
"Not ahi" (Arik). Wikipedia: Yellowfin tuna (Thunnus albacares) are a species of tuna found in the pelagic tropical and sub-tropical oceans of the world. Yellowfin are often marketed as "ahi" from a Hawaiian name." There is no 100 lb. reference provided to qualify as ahi.

Last edited:

Randy V

Slamma Jamma
Mar 19, 2008
Insane Diego, CA
Name
Randy
Boat
30' Kona Star
not ahi Ahi are 100 lb and over these are local Mexican water yellowfin that are nice but dont taste as good as Ahi hwich are in Hawaii and 800 miles around etc the islands.
but still nice going!!!
So let me get this straight - you are claiming that ahi is a separate species of tuna?

LOL