yakmandan

Well-Known "Member"
May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
What ever happened to the large Krocodile lures I used to use for trolling for tuna and yellows and yoyoing is anyone making them or does anyone know where to get any
I don't remember the weight but they were 6-7 inches long

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
They haven't been made for several years. They were made of brass which got too expensive. The current Krocodiles are made of steel, not brass, and don't catch as many fish as the old ones.

Reactions: marlyn

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
When Luhr Jensen stopped making the larger sizes. 5 and 7 oz. I think, someone else starting making them from brass. That was a few years ago, and I don't know if he still makes them.

The current large models come from China, but I don't think they call them Krocodiles, which is a trade name. ebay has a bunch of them.

yakmandan

Well-Known "Member"
May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
I knew the original manufacturer wasn't making the big ones anymore but was hoping someone was making copies. I seem to remember them being bigger then 7ozs. What was the weight of the biggest ones they made

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
I think the knock offs are the same size but not as heavy as the old brass ones. Pretty sure 7 oz was the biggest ones but who knows. I still have a few laying around somewhere. I’ve thought about using them for ling cod but haven’t tried it yet I bought them to give to pangeros in Baja but ended up keeping a few

yakmandan

Well-Known "Member"
May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
Some of the pangeros in San Quintin use them for White Seabass they swear by them. they put live bait on them and drop down to bottom while drifting.
They need to be heavy enough to get to the bottom when there is current.
We go to San Quintin a couple of times a year. They always seam to have some of the large krocks.
I'm hoping to find some before my next trip there.

Reactions: Blackfish

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
I knew the original manufacturer wasn't making the big ones anymore but was hoping someone was making copies. I seem to remember them being bigger then 7ozs. What was the weight of the biggest ones they made
Don't know the answer, but the biggest one that I have is 7 oz. x 6 1/8" long.

BloodyL

Throwing everything I got
Jan 4, 2009
Placentia
Name
Mick
Boat
The Beach
They did a 14oz that was two sevens together.

ironmike

ironmike
Aug 19, 2004
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat
nope, need to go with you or Cattle Boats
Luhr Jensen I dont think makes the big ones anymore. I have caught some big salmon with them too. I always look for them at garage sales and flea markets. If you find them, let me know.
Luhr Jensen sold years ago. A another Co. took over that makes mostly fresh water lures, so they don't make any big sizes...can't remember the Co. name.

Reactions: Saponi73

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Luhr Jensen sold years ago. A another Co. took over that makes mostly fresh water lures, so they don't make any big sizes...can't remember the Co. name.
I think Rapala bought the company.

Amadeus

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 17, 2011
San Diego/CA/US
Name
Wai Jung
Boat
Seahawk II
Use the following on the big auction site's search field:
  1. "7 oz" crocodile spoons
  2. "5 oz" crocodile spoons
...the knock offs you may be looking for.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
They use the same die to get different weights. Just make the material thicker to get the additional weight. Their 3/4 oz. and 1 oz. lures use the same die. Also their 1/2oz and 5/8 oz. So yeah 7 oz. and 14 oz. sounds about right.

CaptJgray

Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
Try Long beach fishing supplies. I get all my big knock offs from him. But they don't work for seabass, those are smart game fish, they'd never eat a half dead mackerel with a big shiny jig in its back

rossman

Well-Known "Member"
May 21, 2004
Bahia Asuncion
Name
Ross Zoerhof
Boat
Yak and tin boat
This guy has a shop on Ebay and I've been buying a lot of stuff from him for years. He has the Kroc knock offs up to 7 oz. I think they are comparatively inexpensive and he local to SoCal and his service is very quick. Sabikis are a good buy from him. Megabait knock offs are better that the real ones. Flat falls are good but the paint does chip quicker the Shimano's but at the price he charges, buy a few extra. By the way, the 5 oz Krocs just killed the yellows here in Asuncion this season. Including a 51 pounder. I like them because you don't have to grind them as fast as normal jigs. In fact it is best that you don't.

Reactions: bellcon