Lamiglas X11 LX106MLS

Discussion in 'Surf Fishing Reports' started by jplee3, May 20, 2019.

1. jplee3

jplee3 Member

Name:
    Jeremy
    Boat:
    n/a
    Hey all,

Just curious if any of you have fished this particular rod before and how you like it:

https://www.lamiglas.com/products/lx-106-mls-gh-steelhead-float

I've seen guys talk about the 8'6 and 9'6 and they seem to like it but haven't seen much for the 10'6. Too long? I know a few guys who love the Trifecta Lite 10' rods and I fished one this past weekend and it was nice. Although a bit tough to demo when the current was running strong.

Just wanted to get some sort of point of reference. TIA

2. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Nice looking rod. I use a 10' rod for surf fishing with about a 5/8 oz lure, and haven't had any problems. So I would think a 10'6" rod would not be a problem. They're nice because you can cast farther. The only problem I had with my rod was that it was not balanced properly and I had to counter balance the butt section with some extra weight. Hard on your wrist if you don't.
    The rod shows the line weight to be used, but it doesn't show the lure weight. That could be an important consideration.

3. jplee3

jplee3 Member

Name:
    Jeremy
    Boat:
    n/a

Oh yea, good point with the counter balancing. I think the overall weight might be around 8oz. As far as the lure weight ratings, its 1/8oz to 5/8oz which seems to be a pretty decent range. I know on the Trifecta Lite 10' you don't want to be throwing more than 1/2oz even though it's rated up to 3/4oz.

4. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    If your intention is to use it for surf fishing, I am thinking that 1/8 - 5/8oz might be a little light. My outfit is 1/4 to 1 oz with a line rating of 8 - 17#, and I usually use 5/8 oz lures.

My other rod is rated at 8-12# and 3/8 -3/4 oz lure weight and it doesn't feel right to me when casting my lures. It works, but feels a little too limber.

I guess the only way is to try it and see if it works for you.

My friend uses a 'crappie rod', and it's really limber, but he likes it.

5. jplee3

jplee3 Member

Name:
    Jeremy
    Boat:
    n/a
    Yea, I have a St Croix 7' that I like to fish the surf with pretty exclusively. It's rated 6-12lb line and 1/4oz-5/8oz lure weight. I've fished 3/4 and 1oz on it before but I think it's the lower end that also 'determines' the feel - 1/8oz is pretty light. I think this would make an awesome rod for targeting the nearshore trough and sliding beans however.

Are the rods you're talking about all Lami X11s also? I have an 8' Panfish/Crappie rod by All Star that I got thinking it would be great for the surf. It's super slow and moderate - tough to detect any bites when there's stronger current or salad in the water. I figure still a fun rod to fish with and I just picked up a pack of circle hooks as well since I'm thinking those may pair especially well with a rod that has that much give. I like moderate fast action rods, which is right where the St Croix I have sits. Not super fast but slow enough to get a good hookset while having the backbone to haul in bigger fish too and still experience a great fight.

The main 'concern' I have with getting it is finding out that I don't like it then being stuck with it because it'll probably be hard to resell at that point lol.... especially because it's sort of a 'niche' rod