May 11, 2016
Carnation, WA
lakesammamishkokanee.com
Name
Dave Kyle
Boat
14' Harborcraft
Hello All,
Trout Unlimited is hosting our 2nd Annual Lake Sammamish Perch Derby!

This event will occur on May 18, which coincides roughly with the migration of our Lake Sammamish Kokanee from the streams to the Lake. These little fish have to survive the gauntlet of predators to survive and become future spawners.

You can help! Catch a Perch Save a Kokanee!!!!

Register here : https://www.eventbrite.com/e/trout-...ake-sammamish-perch-derby-tickets-60359602195

Event Details:
Date: May 18
Time: Check in – 8am, Final Weigh In – 1PM
Entry: $30 Adults, $15 Youth (Under 15 Yrs)
Includes: Event T-Shirt
Prize Categories: Perch: longest fish, the heaviest fish, and the heaviest 25 perch
Bonus Category: Heaviest pikeminnow

Discover Pass or daily parking/launch fee will be required.

All proceeds from the derby will support the Lake Sammamish kokanee recovery work being done by the Bellevue-Issaquah Chapter of Trout Unlimited in partnership with the Urban Wildlife Refuge Partnership (UWRP) and the Kokanee Work Group (KWG).

Please let me know if you have any questions!

You can also see what we are doing to recover the Lake Sammamish Kokanee here:
https://lakesammamishkokanee.com/

Cheers!
Dave

Perch Derby-May2019_v2.jpg

Reactions: EJ Swanny

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
Thanks for the post. Lord knows, these days we need to support every fishery out there. Only fished pile perch on the saltwater docks and surf perch as a kid. I'm sure catching some lake perch isn't rocket science.......

Reactions: Dave Kyle

Dave Kyle

May 11, 2016
Carnation, WA
lakesammamishkokanee.com
Name
Dave Kyle
Boat
14' Harborcraft
Thanks for the post. Lord knows, these days we need to support every fishery out there. Only fished pile perch on the saltwater docks and surf perch as a kid. I'm sure catching some lake perch isn't rocket science.......
Perch are great to eat and can be easy to catch. I usually cut the first one I catch into strip bait. They love to eat perch too.
Dave

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
Vacancy
What part of Canada were y’all fishing? What does the g and mm mean? :frehya2:

Dave Kyle

May 11, 2016
Carnation, WA
lakesammamishkokanee.com
Name
Dave Kyle
Boat
14' Harborcraft
Your comment made me laugh. LOL

I work in kokanee salmon recovery on Lake Sammamish. As part of my program, I have conducted Creel surveys and Perch Derby on the lake to collect data on the fish populations so we collect fish biometric data in metric. All the data is provided to WDFW and the Kokanee Working Group (KWG) to help fill knowledge gaps of the fish and fishing effort in Lake Sammamish. It's also rewarding to interact with my fellow fishermen and give another reason to get on the water.

Hopefully we will see more of you all at the next Perch Derby on Nov 9. All proceeds of that derby will be donated to a Veterans cause, likely Project Healing Waters.

Cheers!:jig:
Dave

kenzmad

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 18, 2011
kent,wa
www.jamiesseptic.com
Name
jamie
Boat
nwj 218 lightning
Hmmm. Always thought Sammamish would hold bigger fish. Good for you for doing what you do. I have a question though. 10-14”fish are very common in Lake Wa. What’s different about Sammamish?

Dave Kyle

May 11, 2016
Carnation, WA
lakesammamishkokanee.com
Name
Dave Kyle
Boat
14' Harborcraft
Great question kenzmad. I had heard the same thing from anglers. Some anglers skip Lake WA to fish Lake Sam specifically because they claim the fish are bigger and fatter. Our first perch derby, last September, resulted in larger and more numbers of fish caught. The size difference could have something to do with the size of the lake, food/predation issues, or something else. I do know that the perch were just finishing spawning at the time of this derby, so that could have effected the weight and abundance of the catch.

I am really excited about the November 9 Derby. I fished perch on the lake last November. It was outstanding! We caught 100+ fish in an hour and they were huge.

Dave

Reactions: kenzmad