Lake Hodges Poachers

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing Reports' started by ilovecalicos, Feb 22, 2012.

1. ilovecalicos

ilovecalicos Newbie

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    14' camo alumicraft
    While I was wading Lake Hodges this afternoon, I came across this little jewel..........Frigging gill net!...........There were a few crappie and one big blue cat in it. I was able to get all the fish out alive. It was about 30 ft long and was well hidden in the sticks. This is the 2nd time I've seen a gill net in Hodges. I also caught some guys trying to put one up. Those boys were pinched by DFG...............:appl:

Attached Files:

2. BiggestT

BiggestT I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Pretty consistent activity like that at Hodges. My buddy down there has caught them setting nets. Be careful as some carry guns.:2gunsfiring_v1:

I reread your post and recognize you. You know my buddy, Dave Clay. I believe that you used to have a Ranger Bay Boat. You know that Dave banged a 10.4 at Perris this past Monday on my boat. Typical.

3. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    Glad you found it Steve. Welcome to BD...:D A lot of the same assholes and more on this forum....LOL

I happen to know that Steve used to have a Ranger bay boat by the way Steve M.

4. BiggestT

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    It is a small world. I think another Steve I know bought that Ranger bay boat from Steve. My big bass lineage is traced to those two Steve's via Dave. My first bass over 10 lbs came from Hodges. Now they all come from Perris.

I no lie, she was a short, fat and young one:
    [​IMG]

5. Carl

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    My first dd LMB came from Hodges also in April of 82. i still have the mount from Lyons & O' Haver. i fished that lake almost every day it was open when I got my drivers license until well into my 20's......Many a lunker was to follow.
    I used to fish the east end of the lake a lot between the bridge arm and Bernardo Bay. On numerous occassions i saw dudes come along before sunset and use throw nets and would work the whole shoreline......That was in the days before cell phones.

6. BiggestT

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    So we have a lot in common, only I'm not gay.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

7. Carl

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    What a disappointment! I had my eye on you sweetcheeks....

8. ilovecalicos

ilovecalicos Newbie

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    14' camo alumicraft
    Hi guys.............When TOF went down I thought I better find another forum...lol....Now that I look at the pics a little closer, that net was about 60 ft long. Dave Clay e-mailed me this morning with a pic of his 10-4.......Nice fish. It's rare now to see fish in double digits from our local lakes. I wish Larry Bottdroff was still around. I'd like to get his opinion on what's happened to the San Diego bass fishery. There were a couple big fish from Wohlford last year. The other thing I've noticed is how finesse fishing has taken over. Just the other day me and my old roomie were talking about how many quauilty fish we got on big chocolate-neon blue worms. Now if a guys uses any plastic over 4" long it's rare (I've been using 5" Pro Senkos with good results). Yesterday there was a guy fishing near me throwing a big ugly 7" curly tailed Pumpinseed Power Worm. After I left him, he caught a 5.9 on it..........Maybe, I need to get back to the big stuff..........lol

PS.............I miss my old Ranger center console. That is a fishing machine.

Attached Files:

9. Bill A

Bill A Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    16 foot skiff
    Can I have my net back?

10. gillkiller888

gillkiller888 Newbie

Boat:
    S.S. I wish i had a better boat
    so the crappie have already started going shallow at hodges? interesting, may have to hit it up this weekend

11. Shaka760

Shaka760 Member

Name:
    Craig Taylor
    Boat:
    2007 Nitro 482
    Fuck that. Pisses me off.

12. BiggestT

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Steve, Hodges has not been that good presumably because it rose quickly and flooded all those trees. Then they have had the persistent poaching problem. I haven't fished Hodges or Wohlford in years. Perris has consistently delivered fish over 10 for us, so no reason to go elsewhere. DVL was promised to be a trophy bass fishery, but it's become a striper infested mess.

Is Conway Bowman still in charge of Hodges?

13. ib12fish

ib12fish Semper Fi

Name:
    Tommie
    Boat:
    Polaris Supreme
    I was just thinking the same thing:rolleyes:

14. umoa

umoa silent

Name:
    jimmy
    Boat:
    18' starcraft "big knockers"
    you would think that with a PERSISTENT problem dfg would keep some people based there?

15. nmbrinkman

nmbrinkman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Nathan
    Boat:
    12 oz frosty mug
    The same reason there aren't DFG camped out on breakwalls and piers. If people can't pay the fines why bother.

16. ilovecalicos

ilovecalicos Newbie

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    14' camo alumicraft
    Hodges is just tough for you "dad" guys...............LOL............. Hodges IMO has gotten tough because of the 30 ft of tules surrounding the lake. There are a lot of fish so tucked into the tules you just can't reach them. They also don't seem to stage on the outside rock like they used to either. Now with the lake supposedly staying at least 90% full. The tules are here for good........As far as Conway Bowman goes. Nope, I think he's gone and a gal runs the show now.

As far as a DFG presence goes. It does seem that they patrol the lake a goodly amount of the time. With the iron maidens the only way to pay, I'm sure that's their #1 bust (no box down by the bridge). I did have a friend's kid's (young adults) get popped for under sized crappie (10 inches) recently.

ps.........At least 10 more days of sun should really push the crappie in tight.

17. umoa

umoa silent

Name:
    jimmy
    Boat:
    18' starcraft "big knockers"

dfg is a fucking joke.

18. lega*sea

lega*sea Newbie

Name:
    james
    Boat:
    lega*sea 17' Arima sea ranger and SAUERFISH
    A big ass one was pulled out of canyon lake 2 years ago by some assholes that had been doing it for quite some time. I believe dfg got the net but not the trash that put it up. Rumors of over 1500 crappie/cats/bass were caught in it.