BD Writer
Jun 1, 2006
Valley Center, CA
www.rovingangler.com
Name
Tony Pena
Boat
n/a
Returning from Cebaco Bay Sportfishing Lodge, Kevin Green, Todd K. and I had a layover day in Panama City, so we decided to fish Gatun Lake which serves as a shipping lane for Panama Canal vessels, as well as providing water for the locks. Peacock bass (an invasive species from Venezuela) are numerous but generally small with anything over 5 lbs. considered a good catch. There are also snook and tarpon available at times. Amir Allahda picked us up at the Panama Hilton Balboa at 6:00 a.m. and we drove about 40 minutes to the Gamboa Rainforest Resort where our 22’ Hurricane pontoon boat was docked. It was surprisingly fast with a 175 hp outboard pushing us at 20 mph. Richard Tovar and “Chemba” Elliott Gomez are the crew for Panama Canal Fishing and have good local knowledge of fish hangouts.

We started fishing with small live minnows which attracted small peacocks. Soon everyone was casting plugs and improving the size, but nothing big showed up after 20 were released. However, fishing among the scenic jungle backwaters of Gatun with a good chance of viewing capuchin and howler monkeys, crocodiles and varieties of birdlife is a big part of the experience. Having caught their first peacock, we chose to look for snook in the Chagres River portion of Gatun closer to Gamboa, and Kevin released one small snook. We were back at the dock by 1:30 p.m. which is a good way to spend a half day while in Panama City. If you want to fish Gatun, Cebaco Bay Sportfishing Lodge and Luz Fonger at Starlite Travel can arrange a trip. I recommend Richard Tovar and Amir Allahda as your guides.

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

Reactions: ScaleyOne
Upvote 0

Jay Warner

Almost A Member
Oct 18, 2007
SC
Name
Jay
Boat
24 Triton LTS
Oh Cool, just saw this Tony. I was going to give that a shot next time I have a layover in PTY. Shane gave me a name of a guy who does the hotel pick up, fish, lunch at dock and back deal. Not sure if he fishes the same area but worth a shot as it seems. I also see that you use Ms. Luz as well. She is a very good # to have in your phone while in the City for many travel related reasons.

Upvote 0

tap

"The Roving Angler"
BD Writer
Jun 1, 2006
Valley Center, CA
www.rovingangler.com
Name
Tony Pena
Boat
n/a
Jay, the lake is high enough now (compared to previous drought conditions) that you can fish the Gamboa part which is closest to Panama City. Ask your guide in advance if he knows where the snook/tarpon are because you'll probably get tired of catching small peacock bass. Keep your camera ready for crocs, monkeys, turtles, harpy eagles, etc.

Reactions: Jay Warner
Upvote 0