Advertiser
Dec 9, 2008
Lahaina, Hawaii, USA
www.sportfishingmaui.com
Name
Lee
Boat
Start Me Up Sportfishing
Aloha from Lahaina Harbor, Maui. Everyone over here is in recovery mode after the tsunami. There was some pretty serious damage, but nothing catastrophic. All seven Start Me Up boats left Lahaina Harbor in the middle of Thursday night or the wee hours of Friday morning after the tsunami warning sirens went off. The boats did not return until the Coast Guard reopened the harbor at about 8 a.m. this morning. In total, the boats and their crews spent slightly over forty hours straight on the water.

The time spent waiting, however, was not all lost. Captain Patrick of the Action decided to go fishing and landed this nice ahi yesterday morning.

Captain Patrick was solo and managed to boat the fish all by himself. The official weight is unknown because we don’t have a large enough spring scale and the power is still out at Lahaina Harbor so we can’t use our digital scale. The best estimate of the ahi’s weight is approximately 110 lbs. Captain Patrick was stoked with his fish and we’re all thrilled that everyone is safely back in the harbor. Start Me Up should be up and running again very soon.

Hopefully the same can be said for everyone else around the state. There was some serious damage done but hopefully everyone stayed safe and managed to salvage as much of their property as possible. Good luck for a speedy recovery to everyone affected in Hawaii, in the Pacific, and especially in Japan.

Aloha,
Jonny

j3dgu

Mar 15, 2010
Guam
Name
John
Boat
Whaler 190, 130
Glad your fleet made it through ok, Congrats on the Ahi.

Mingo

Jan 8, 2008
Seattle ("PC central")
Name
Mingo
Boat
in the future
That's awesome....talk about making the best of a nerve-wracking situation! I agree, that sashimi will taste ono ...........

I saw the footage of the flooding on Alii Drive in Kona and the house that got washed away..........I hope none of you suffered any damage or injuries!

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Jonny, Deliman and all the SMU Team,

Glad you guys faired pretty well and good goin on the ahi. Waianae was probabably the least hit harbors (one of anyway) on Oahu so we feel very fortunate.

Aloha
Pat

FishMoreNow

Jul 28, 2009
Grass Valley, CA USA
Name
Tom Oates
Boat
21.5 Maxum - Temptress
I fished with Captain Patrick on board Action a couple years back. We slayed the Mahi on an 8 hour charter. The guy is a lot of fun and fishes hard. I'm glad to hear that he and the rest of the fleet fared well. Congrats on the catch and making the best of a bad situation.

Tom

fishintuition

Dec 16, 2010
Honolulu, HI USA
Name
Mike
Boat
the transom
Chances are good that it will take more than 40 hours for Patrick to eat all that sashimi, so sounds like time well spent. Definitely making good out of a sketchy situation. Job well done!!