Lahaina Harbor, Maui Hawaii

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Startmeup, May 8, 2009.

1. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    March fishing brought a lot of beautiful weather and flat waters.This will finish up our catch report for the last few days of the month.
    [​IMG]
    All the way from Mesa, AZ to get this nice 15lb. Mahi. Great job Chuck Dougherty.
    [​IMG]
    Mark and Rob Roden caught these two nice Mahi-Mahi.
    [​IMG]
    A Mahi for Dustin Reider was good enough for dinner
    [​IMG]
    Dustin Shipley got this one early out in Lahaina.
    [​IMG]
    Joe Mullinhoff, Dick Schmanski, Bruce Kopff, and Janine Koff had great luck finding a couple of Mahi’s early this day.
    [​IMG]
    How about Carey Mc Cartney and this Mahi, huh,guys?
    [​IMG]
    Sean Weston jumped at the chance to get out there with the Start Me Up boys for a great time and even got dinner.
    [​IMG]
    James Korth Got this real sweet 263 pound Blue Marlin out with Tim and Craig. Purple Softhead Lure does it again.
    [​IMG]
    293.5 pound Blue Marlin caught by Frank DeBaca out on the ledge with a Doorknob Lure on the Das It Start Me Up.
    [​IMG]
    Bill Bell, Ryan Bell, Matt Bell, and Mike Swatkiewicz had a nice 4 hour trip for this Mahi-Mahi.
    [​IMG]
    Brandon Dumphy pulled in this great 30 pound Bull Mahi- Mahi on a 6 hour trip. Dat’s da kine Braddah.
    [​IMG]
    Dustin, Nicole, Joe Sperano teamed up with Tausha, Bryan Bob Kuesner to find a couple of Mahi’s with the Start Me Up La Dat.
    [​IMG]
    Todd Holzmer had to go get one more Mahi while he was here. Mahalo for making Start Me Up your fishing team.
    [​IMG]
    Al Naylor and Mark Diver had to take their wives out to help catch these 4 mahi’s. Great job by all.
    [​IMG]
    Nick Alonzo Taylor Alonzo, Micah Horner, Ryan Williams, Eric Shypkowski, Micheal Vessey had a thrill out on the Action with Capt Mark Davis as they watched Nick bring in this 323 pound Blue Marlin hooked on live bait at JJ buoy. Nice fish Nick!!!!
    Mahalo for checking out the fishing report by the Start Me Up Team

2. twister

twister Twisted in Bermuda

Name:
    David Turner
    Boat:
    N/A
    Just out of interest, why are they killing small Marlin like that - I don't understand why you wouldn't tag and release a small fish that like?

3. fishnfool

fishnfool Member

Name:
    Kevan
    Boat:
    IMAHO
    They bring a decent price at the market. It helps keep them in business.

4. twister

twister Twisted in Bermuda

Name:
    David Turner
    Boat:
    N/A
    ok, thought it might be something like that - Marlin only get used as bait in Bermuda so we only tend to kill them during competitions and only then if they are over 500lbs
    Thanks for explanation

5. Sam Seafood

Sam Seafood Newbie

Name:
    Sam Seafood
    Boat:
    (1) Form fitted sanding block
    Nice report &pics. Keep em coming!Aloha

6. kelpbass_kid

kelpbass_kid Salvay Pacific

Name:
    Evan
    Boat:
    29 ft. Crystaliner "Hawk", 22 ft. Ranger Bahia 220 "RazeRanger"
    i agree with twister, i seems that the small marlin are only brought in for a photo op. good job on the mahi none the less.

7. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    see here http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/hawaii-fishing/102410-marlin-mortality.html

how exactly does it seem that the marlin are brought in for a photo op? was there a picture i missed of the crew tossing the marlins off the end of the dock? would you say the same thing if that was a swordfish vs. a marlin hanging there? seen the link the price for au filet? guess what au is marlin, marlin is worth more in hawaii then swordfish. i hope that puts things in a more understandable light in reference to our fishery here.

8. Sam Seafood

Sam Seafood Newbie

Name:
    Sam Seafood
    Boat:
    (1) Form fitted sanding block
    WELL SAID JAGER!!!!Aloha