Lahaina Harbor, Maui Hawaii 5-12-09

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Startmeup, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    The first week of April brought beautiful calm weather and we had a great Marlin bite. Lot’s of big Mahi-Mahi’s also along with a few large Tunas. Hawaiian Fishing at it’s best.
    [​IMG]27lb.
    Holli Muth with this 27 lb. Mahi onboard the Start Me Up Das It.
    [​IMG]
    Shawn Montaque caught this 393.1 lb.Blue Marlin on the short corner Abaco Prowler lure just behind LA buoy with Capt. Tim on the Start Me Up One.
    [​IMG]
    Troy and Dalton Huck Justin Ferry Lonnie Joslin and Dane Bjerklie grab a few Mahi-mahi on the Action.
    [​IMG]
    Troy Vaughn joined here with his wife on their Honeymoon caught this 567 lb. Blue Marlin on bait out at NASA buoy. Start Me Up fish policy is if you catch a fish over 500 pounds your trip is free. CONGRATULATIONS Troy!!!!
    [​IMG]
    John Hess took his son Jake out for his first Deep-sea fishing trip and scored this 314 lb. Blue Marlin on bait aboard the Action. Don’t have fish like those in Idaho do they boys?? Great job Jake. 
    [​IMG]
    Alan Hidalago and Dan Buxton found a couple of nice Mahi’s out with Captain Kenny on the Start Me Up Too.
    [​IMG]
    Becky Mc Carty caught this Ono out with Capt. Randy on the Das It on a 4 hour afternoon trip.
    [​IMG]
    Paul and Alex Raphaelian caught a couple of fish on the Das It.
    [​IMG]
    Nathan Rosenblum, John Quartarone, Warren Madden, and Thomas Petersen went out with the Action gang and had a nice bag full of Mahi-mahi for dinner.
    [​IMG]
    Two 30+ pound Yellowfin Tuna’s on the early morning trip. Sushi for dinner tonight.
    [​IMG]
    Mike McClave, from New Orleans found this 128 pound Yellowfin Tuna aboard the Das It on a 6 hour trip.
    [​IMG]
    Jukka Hyytia, Jim Ward and Randy Kinoris with a 196.4lb. Blue Marlin and a 40 pound Mahi-Mahi. Great afternoon trip boys!!!!
    Doesn’t it make you wish you were here.? Mahalo to all those who went out with us!

2. 5150

5150 Member

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    Matson Inc.
    Do you ever practice "catch and release and size restrictions". Seems like some of those dorados were small, (maybe a fish taco or two) and as far as the marlins........unless they come up dead, I would think you would HIGHLY ENCOURAGE a photograph and releasing them for another day.

Some of your photos are a real turn off for permoting your business.

Need to learn more of catch and release IMO........

3. BROWNSC

BROWNSC Newbie

Name:
    JOE
    Boat:
    30 FT AQUA SPORT , FRESH FISH 2
    Totally AGREE .Release the marlin at least !

4. kelpbass_kid

kelpbass_kid Salvay Pacific

Name:
    Evan
    Boat:
    29 ft. Crystaliner "Hawk", 22 ft. Ranger Bahia 220 "RazeRanger"
    you know start me up seems like one of the few charter businesses that doesn't strongly encourage catch and release. from what I heard, they sell there catch, but still, it seems as though they care more about making a quick buck than the long term health of a fishery. I am not saying you can't keep the occasional fish, it just weighing every marlin caught seems a little excessive. Especially when the marlin weighed are less than 200 lbs. encouraging catch and release amongst vacationing anglers will foster better ethics for these people when they go fishing in other locales. If a charter business in southern California weighed every fish they caught, I think many people would be up in arms. Quite frankly, I feel that as a sponsor of Bloodydecks, start me up should taking on a more professional and conservation minded approach towards their own local fishery. pictures of 3 pound skipjack don't look good either. rant over

5. 5150

5150 Member

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    Matson Inc.

After all the bad press that Hawaiian Sportfishing Boats get about how they charge high prices and then they keep the catch unless that's discussed with the operator of the boat for that day..........you would think they would want to change there image, as quick as possible.
    IMO, Hawaii is a way to busy tourist trap and over rated.

6. JACKPOTER

JACKPOTER Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    25' Skipjack SEA LEVEL
    before you start bad mouthing these guys...read up on it...there is a market for these fish and it pays the captains well. if you owned your own business wouldn't you want to maximize profits. i am all for catch and release, don't get me wrong, but these guys FISH FOR A LIVING.

7. oh da shiz

oh da shiz did you say go pheeesh

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Ranger Z21
    as said in a previous post they are fishing for a living. Marlin are caught more frequently then people think in Hawaii and yes there is a market for them and any other fish. Having worked on a sport fishing boat for 8 years in Hawaii there were a lot of marlins released and kept. I don't know the policy for this boat, but if a customer said from the very get go that they wanted to release any marlin caught and it was agreed upon prior to heading out to sea, we would release any living marlin that was brought to the boat(the customer usually tipped very well in exchange for releasing the fish). I also can speak from experience that as a very well versed and highly qualified deck hand that it was nice to get that portion of the profit that was brought in by selling the fish.

What a lot of people don't realise is what it cost to run a sport fishing operation whether it's in California, Hawaii, Alaska or anywhere else for that matter. All I got to say is before you start ripping on a boat, captain, or business is do your research because if it was cheap and inexpensive to do every Tom Dick and Harry would be running sport fishing operations.

Something to chew on too is if you pay $50 for a half day cattle boat and share it with 20 to 25 others the cost of the paying customers total the same as it would for a 3/4 day boat with only 6 customers in Hawaii.
    (dealing with a lot less d$ck heads too)

Just my $.02

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  8. STEVE COGGIN

STEVE COGGIN Newbie

Name:
    STEVE
    Boat:
    REINELL 22 '
    Nobody has mentioned what the Captains or the deck hand makes for wages. If only some of you had any idea you would undertand why they sell there fish. These guys don't make big bucks .They have to sell there fish to survive. That's the price that these guys pay to live in such a beautiful place.
    Also no fish is ever waisted in Hawaii.
    I can't tell you how many pounds of fish that I have given away to my friends over the 30 years that I have fished. I will tell you, everyone of these people appreciated it.
    If you ever needed any sort of help from any of these guys,they would be there in a heart beat for you.
    When I was a deck hand my daily pay was 35.00 a day. Live off of that.

9. navyaircrew

navyaircrew Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
    ya know, i'm looking at all the pics posted and i don't see a single peanut sized mahi here... go searching some of the north carolina sites and see them raking in 80 or so 8 lb mahis caught off of current lines... wanna talk about not letting a fish get bigger... as far as marlin go, they are a food staple as well as every other fish caught here... we aren't catching sharks by the droves and just hanging them for pictures.. however, some do eat those as well... None of these fish are wasted and that should be the primary concern... as far as i'm concerned, all the mainlanders that come here to fish, we let them on our boats to fish along with us... what we catch, sure, we'll give you some cause we surely know you aren't going to ship back hundreds of pounds of meat... but more over, it is their job... to fish... we're not the bass pro circuit where we show up to a town, fish the piss out of a lake and then keep all the bass just to weigh... we fish everyday... we provide an international market with fresh fish worldwide... if anything, i'll release a huge bastard to let her live and breed more... MOST people know all the large marlins are females...
    anyway, unless you're walking in the same shoes... i'd reserve comments on a companies morality...

10. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Awesome catch.

It's a legal catch and their right to release or keep the fish.

Did you see the fish they released? How do you assume they kill EVERY billfish?

I love marlin and release all that I catch. If someone wants to kill a marlin to eat I have no issue with it.

It's Hawaii and they love to eat marlin. As long as they aren't slaughtering them and wasting them, I see nothing wrong with it.

If you are so concerned about marlin, go write some letters to ban Longlines and gill nets. These are the real indiscriminate killers out there.

My $.02

11. I hate seals

I hate seals Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Bryan Z
    Boat:
    36' Hatteras
    :)

12. Seekin' Makaira

Seekin' Makaira Newbie

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    None now
    This, IMO, is a joke, and about as intelligent as saying all fishermen from California are knuckleheads.

As far as the first part of your post...."all the bad press"?? Like the the fact that billfishing in KONA has gone from 80% catch and kill to 75%+ catch and release? How terrible!! "High prices"?? Another commonly acknowledged FACT is that Hawaiian sport fishers are among the most affordable in all big water hot spots, IN THE WORLD. Go try and fish on a 42' Hatteras for eight hours in Madeira, Cairns, PV for $500-1000. And as far the "Unless discussed with the operator of the boat" Yeah, imagine talking about fishing with your captain before you book with him. What a novel idea!! The question to really be asked is have you ever fished Hawaiian waters? And if the answer is yes(witch sounds unlikely based on your post) where and with who?

13. navyaircrew

navyaircrew Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
    Dude are you serious? Not all of us have the opportunity to catch 2 pound rainbow trout... :notworthy

14. I hate seals

Name:
    Bryan Z
    Boat:
    36' Hatteras
    What part don't you understand?

In the eyes of most of the world, Marlin should be released...

15. kelpbass_kid

kelpbass_kid Salvay Pacific

Name:
    Evan
    Boat:
    29 ft. Crystaliner "Hawk", 22 ft. Ranger Bahia 220 "RazeRanger"
    I respect the captains and deckhands enormously, and realize that they are trying to make a living. However, I do feel that the crew should give the angler the choice as to whether they will keep their fish or not before sticking it. This means that they should do more than just say "do you want the fish", as most novice or weekend anglers won't know any better and say yes without understanding the effect that it has on a fishery.

Marlin are not tuna or mahi, they are, in my opinion, strictly sportfish. In many other locales, deckhands making the same amount of money, release most of the fish. Why? because they care about more than money. They care about the health of their local fishery, and they understand that the best tipping people are the experienced fisherman, and these fisherman are more likely to book a charter on a boat with several tag and release flags, compared to one with a dead marlin hanging off the stern.

Again, I don't mean to offend anyone, and I have a great deal of respect for people, like myself, who make their living from the sea.

16. navyaircrew

navyaircrew Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
    So, i guess one day i'll be reading a statistic that describes the island of Hawaii in the middle of the pacific ocean is overfishing and dramtically caused the decline of Pacific Blue Marlin!

Also, you are saying that all marlin should be released... Spearfish, Striped, Atlantic Blue, Pacific Blue, Black and White marlin... all released... never kept...

Then you get to the never kept UNLESS:
    1. It's tale wrapped and comes up dead (then is it okay to take a photo of it and then eat it or perhaps sell it to a market)
    2. just simply comes up dead... from exhaustion

where does the criteria line start/stop... How many deck hands have been injured in the attemtp to properly release a marlin... cuase i don't consider just grabbing the leader and cutting it... your double hook rigs will tear the crap out their mouth moreover their gullet and their eyes... your single hook rig may not injure them that much, but what about the length of the leader.. how long should that be when you cut it...

you could go on and on about this for days.... i understand about a healthy fishery... i think the longline fleet catches everything... they sell all their fish... i do believe in overfishing... i also believe in the tournament series practicing fishery management... i do my part and what makes sense to me... i don't feel bad fishing, catching a marlin and the selling it or eating it, moreover taking a picture...

i'm more concerned with other things not intended for this forumn... Thanks for your opinion... it's nice to have freedom of speech...

17. I hate seals

Name:
    Bryan Z
    Boat:
    36' Hatteras
    It is freedom of speech and I am glad to hear your version. And yes, we could go on for days about how safe it is to release a fish, etc. etc.

Nothing more to say.

18. shinchan

shinchan Making other fishermen look good....

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    13' Whaler "Shinchan"
    Yes, thank you for coming on the HAWAII forum and giving us your opinion on how we should handle our fishery. My family has been here for generations and we've had marlin on the table since before I was born.

So you FROWN on eating marlin? So what!

It's been a food fish first in Hawaii before it was considered a sportfish.
    We caught it, killed it, TOOK PICS of it and ate it. Fed the entire neighborhood.

IF you were taught to catch and release marlin from where you're from, my hats off to you, that's great. But thats not what we do here and I don't expect you to understand since you're not from here.

Bottom line, you're pushing your beliefs/ideals on us locals and I don't appreciate it.

I'm going to get some striped marlin po'ke right now so keep frowning...:finger: BD'er salute to you.

19. slydawg

slydawg Always wishin' I was fishin'

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    WWW - 25’ Proline
    Did anybody hear about 1 bluefin being caught on the troll recently?

20. I hate seals

Name:
    Bryan Z
    Boat:
    36' Hatteras

:hali_ruahahaha:

Kill what you want, eat what you want. It's simply an opinion, get over yourself. The issue is bigger than just Hawaii.

Enjoy dinner. :hali_olutta:

Last edited: May 12, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.