Laguna Shark Diving, 1/14

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by rodngun762, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Dwikkles

Dwikkles Newbie

Name:
    Landon
    Awesome! Great report. Looks like fun

2. jgerken

jgerken El Capitan!

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    32 Rampage,GO IRISH!
    One of the best 20 minute reads in a long time. HUGE BALLS! Someone should put a disclaimer that none of us condones this. Good luck and keep taking photos, we'll need video to see what really happens. PVC, Holy Sh.t!

3. MrMartilyo

MrMartilyo Newbie

Name:
    Roma
    Boat:
    Tbird, Vendetta
    :rofl:great fr and amazing work on the pvc cage.

4. kindafishy

kindafishy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SCOTT
    Boat:
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    rodngun.....i would like to offer my services to you. i have a matal fabrication bussiness and would build you a cage free of charge (labor free, you pay for materials) i'm a diver and have been in a shark cage before, so i am familar with this type of project. why would i do this? guess you could say i'm "paying it forward" good luck to you!!!

5. WaaTooSee

WaaTooSee Life is Short, Play Now!

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    WaaTooSee
    a little nuts dude...

6. duanediego

duanediego fish hard.

Name:
    Duane
    Boat:
    Pinnacle - Parker 2520XLD
    that plastic shark cage is pretty much the best thing ive ever seen.

thank you.

7. Mfish618

Mfish618 Sea Reaper

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    19 FT. Searay, 17 ft Champion
    That's shark cage diving on the cheap at it's finest. I would call being inside this cage to be the diving equivalent of taking a placebo.

8. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Lee Obvious
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras
    Thats a nice offer. :appl:

9. One Stop Mike

One Stop Mike Newbie

Boat:
    Macht Nichts
  10. rodngun762

rodngun762 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Boat:
    Kindafishy-

That is a very kind offer, thank you. Let me say this- the advantage of the PVC cage is its light weight (many would say disadvantage, LOL). It’s hard to maneuver and transport anything too heavy(and abrasive!?) on a 22 ft boat (sometimes it gets to go on bigger platforms 40-56ft). When this PVC cage breaks, hopefully not at the teeth or body slam of a shark, I will seriously consider your generous suggestion. It's great to see such an offer extended on BD.

I was in S. Africa two months ago and got to dive with the big boys at Dyer Island, Gansbaai. We went with “Sharkman” Mike Rutzen’s company. Needless to say their material of choice for a cage is metal! In that limited time observing the GWS, I saw they respond exclusively to the bait- never any interest in the five people resembling fur seals behind the metal bars. Most cage related accidents occur when the cage gets in the way of the shark and the bait.

I might hesitate a little at first getting into a PVC cage with GWS, but am quite confident the actual risk is lower than it at first sounds. Also, I have had sharks become interested in the propeller and outboard motor presumably because of its metal electrical field… would a metal cage act as a similar attractant if the sharks are curious enough?

Attached are some pics from my S. Africa dive.

Attached Files:

11. kindafishy

kindafishy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SCOTT
    Boat:
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    hey bud, yes any metal object submerged in a liqiud will generate a small amount of current, especialy if there are dissimilar metals in close proximty. for example a stainless prop mounted on a aluminum outdrive with zincs mounted to that. but i don't think thats a concern and heres my thinking....heres something from the net...

Great Whites like all other sharks have an extra sense given by the Ampullae of Lorenzini, which enables them to detect the electromagnetic field emitted by the movement of living animals. A Great White's sense of sight is useful, but the shark does not depend on it. A shark primarily uses its extra senses (i.e, Electrosense and Mechanosense) to locate prey from far off. Then, the shark uses smell and hearing to further verify that its target is food. At close range, the shark utilizes sight for the attack. The shark will often in ambush deliver a massive disabling bite and then back off to allow the prey to expire. This tactic allows the animal to avoid combat with dangerous prey, such as sea lions. It also has allowed occasional rescue of humans bitten by the animal, though it appears to attack humans mostly in error.

so in using its other senses and being a curious animal, i worry that there may be an "test " of your structure just out of curiosity, and following his senses telling him theres a beating heart behind those "bars" which by the way they can sense the electrical current generated to make your heart beat....se were i'm going here.? i'm not trying to discourage you from what your doing at all, i think it's awesome!!! in fact 20 years ago i'd be suiting up and jumping in with you. in all my own dangerous behavior i did as a young guy i got lucky and survived it all, and am old enough to realize what could have happened. and that just a bit of saftey would not have made my advertures less fun in any way.
    so how about just an aluminum structure that folds flat for transport, pins in open position for use, and is minimal and can still incorparate some pvc.

12. Dwikkles

Dwikkles Newbie

Name:
    Landon
    The Event :hali_ruahahaha:

13. shinerunner

shinerunner BARKING MOONBAT

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    none
    cool report.
    You know you can make that pvc a whole lot stronger without making it too much heavier by filling the pipes with 2 part pour foam with a dowel in there. Really. pm me if you want.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  14. FINADDICT*

FINADDICT* SKIPPER

Name:
    Fingers
    Boat:
    Finaddict*
    isnt this a re run of last year?"PVC" kool pics though...by the way,what happened to that last guy that built that cage outa PVC?is he still around?<><

15. MeCrankMate

MeCrankMate TheLegendOfTheLuckyScale

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Float Tube "Shark Dougnut"
    Wow... PVC? Really? That crap bends, you know that right? Reminds me of that Larson comic with "Larry's Discount Shark Cages" wrapped around a GW. Someone commented on our local inshore species not being that big, last time I check GW are local to So Cal right? Just sayin'.....

16. MeCrankMate

MeCrankMate TheLegendOfTheLuckyScale

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Float Tube "Shark Dougnut"
    Hey Jim, That's a damn good idea that I'm sure few would even think about. Good call

17. natrollee

natrollee Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    25 wellcraft
    Wow...what are our colleges teaching these days??
    Don't get caught chumming for GW's in Cali, it's a no-no.

18. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Lee Obvious
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras
  19. FountainVic

FountainVic Fishing coach

Name:
    Victor
    Boat:
    Blood Drive (SOLD) 31'Fountain cc
    The ninth picture the shark looks irritated with the classic defensive posture. Back arched fins pointed down. much braver then i.

20. 247

247 Newbie

Name:
    JONES
    Boat:
    22' Bahia
    x2:rofl: