Laguna Shark Diving, 1/14

rodngun762

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 12, 2005
Name
Boat
This is 1/4 fish report, 3/4 dive report, but I thought I would share our day of chumming several miles off of Laguna.

We started around 11 am, two or so miles off, along the shelf there. The conditions looked good- birds in the area, and we saw bait getting chased on the surface. About 20 min into our drift we got a hook up on a dead mackerel we had soaking in the chum line. A 5 ft female blue, which we released. Once again I am reminded of the seeming futility of catching blue sharks... absolutely no fight. Sight fishing makes more sense when you have a slick so you can pick out your target species (mako and thresher).

After that, we put the hook and line away and lowered the cage in the water. This was my first time since I built the thing in November that I had taken it out with sharks in the water. Soon, we had three blues, 4-6 feet in length around the boat.

I had a tuna carcass soaking 10-15ft away from the boat that the sharks would nibble on now and then. But they really didn't appear that aggressive, so after an hour or so of being in the cage we decided to venture out. Funny- although it sounds a little wacky to enter a chum slick with multiple sharks in the area, it wasn't hard to jump in. The sharks are so beautiful and calm it was irresistible. Ok, now I'm sounding like a nature channel guy, but really- part of why I love fishing is the beauty of ocean and its inhabitants!

The blues were skittish when you tried to touch them and wary when two people were in the water. The sharks seemed to come and go- a smaller one was interested in eating the tuna, while a larger one just wanted to hang by the boat and cage.

So, we didn't encounter any makos, threshers, or whites today :) , but we did see at least 4 blues, all of decent size. It was definitely a special thing for me, after building this cage and just starting to fish sharks this summer to jump in with them. I don't think I would go outside of the cage with a mako or white, but in today's situation, I was comfortable with the blues.

Ryan

IMG_3815.jpg IMG_3911.jpg IMG_3900.jpg IMG_3903.jpg IMG_3905.jpg IMG_3968.jpg IMG_3994.jpg IMG_3996.jpg IMG_3997.jpg IMG_4039.jpg IMG_3792.jpg

BuonaForTuna

Jul 27, 2008
Glendale Ca
Name
Jesse
Boat
BuonaFortuna 26' Seaswirl Striper
Cool pics first of all and LMAO badass a PVC fucking cage with PFD's to hold it up Classic.

Reactions: zam and BiggestT

BuonaForTuna

Jul 27, 2008
Glendale Ca
Name
Jesse
Boat
BuonaFortuna 26' Seaswirl Striper
LOL id be afraid of some big T's or Makos coming along for the ride.

Blackfish

Sep 20, 2005
Monroeville
Name
Boat
toy
That was a cool post....the PVC gage is classic, LOL... but the size of the inshore fish you may come across around here...I'm sure you would be fine. If a big one comes in, just get out of the water...simple.

Don't take the jabs about the cage personal. You had to know they were coming. Just wrap a little chicken wire around...that will make it bullet proof. ;)

Great post and pics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kerzcal

getoffmyback

Let the beatings begin...
Aug 21, 2006
SoCal
Name
Craven Morehead
Boat
Yours !... when are we going ?
PVC.....h o l y shit !!!!!!

Keep a video camera all the time so we can see the event on youtube

cioppino

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 16, 2005
San Diego
Name
Dave
Boat
FORTUNA -- Parker 2510 XLD
I have a home made parachute you can have! I built it out of tin foil!!!

LMFAO!!! Unreal!

Reactions: Kerzcal

LACSAFD

Captain
Apr 30, 2006
OC
Name
LEWIS
Boat
Parker 2520
Im sorry i had to look twice at that.. pvc? .. good luck, but you dont need any cage, you will be fine.

FINADDICT*

SKIPPER
Jul 22, 2008
California
Name
Fingers
Boat
Finaddict*
i just had a visual,driving down the freeway and a bugg hits the window!!I have often looked at the smush and its remains and i would have to say,he probobly didnt even feel anything as its wings are still flopping effortlesly in the wind stuck to the window from its own guts!!!!nice pics though!!!

Reactions: FINADDICT*

Mighty Ming

Taming the west
May 27, 2004
Carlsbad
Name
Mingo
Boat
Seaswirl Striper
Holy Shit.....PVC...good insurance and really Big Balls!!...If my wife saw that she would be laughing all the way to the bank...Becareful out there and look out for the tax man!!

SEAKITTENKILLER

Go Fish
Aug 12, 2009
Pacific Beach
Name
Dave
Boat
Malibu Extreme
This requires much encouragement. Please video tape every minute of every adventure......no reason :shakin:

rodngun762

Jul 12, 2005
Name
Boat
Thank you all for the laughs at my expense!! Really though, what else is a poor college student supposed to make a shark cage out of? PVC was just a couple bucks a foot, and it seems to be holding up fine. I like the idea of some chicken wire or mesh- a small shark could wiggle right in there as it is now.

I really would be much more cautious around makos or GWs though. Makos are nuts, and would have little hesitation for "testing" the cage. That being said... the next step is to try and find some bigger and more entertaining sharks. I have already tried to chum up the juvenile white sharks at San Onofre over Thanksgiving to no avail, but I know they are there. The visibility is not good there though so it's much more spooky.

Video would be sweet... I'm going to work on that. The pictures were taken with a Canon 20D in an underwater housing. I'm not really a photographer so I just put it on auto and pulled the trigger. Out of 250 a few came out good :)

PS. just so things are in scale (ie. not swimming with "mackerel sized" sharks), I am 6ft and the tuna head was from a 60lber- the sharks were bigger than they look in the pictures, and not just because of my mask! Smallest was 4ft, biggest was a little over 6ft.

ChupacabraMB

Jan 30, 2005
Murrieta
Name
Rick
Boat
2301 Seaswirl W/O Yamaha 115 X2
I love building stuff out of PVC and it is pretty inexpensive. Here is an idea that might give you a few more seconds to get out of the water while the shark eats your cage -- fill the pipes quickcrete. The stuff is cheap and would be simple to pour in. The only downside is that it would make the cage pretty heavy and you might have to add a few more PFDs. Another idea is Polyester Resin. Good job on the cage and the pics.