shajcl

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 16, 2005
Alameda
Name
JL
Boat
n/a
Purchased a pair of the green Lacrosse boot based on the recommendations from this board in 12/2012. It was the most comfortable boots that I have ever worn. Worn it on three trips, two 16-day and one 7-day. I discovered a separation between the body of the boot from the sole along the side. I emailed Lacrosse along with a photo of the defect of the boot. They wanted me to send it back for inspection to determine the cause of the issue. Now shipping to and from Lacrosse will end up costing around $30. The boot itself cost $75. Is it worth it to send the boot back only have Lacrosse just glue the boot back together? I can get the same shoe glue and do it myself.

I weight around 175# and the use of the boot was minimum. I really expect the boot to have better longivity. How can this issue be anything but defective manufacturing? I was expecting Lacrosse to just replace it. I am disappointed with Lacrosse and will not buy its products again.

Jeff

DSCF2343.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bigfishsato

bigfishsato
Oct 10, 2004
Santa Monica
Name
Garry
Boat
None
I have the same boot for about 2 years, love it, the most comfortable boot I've ever owned. No issues as you have experienced.
I would send it back. I think they are made in the USA. I can't believe they won't repair and cover some of the
shipping. I would send it Fedex Ground or USPS one weight shipping box.

Bigfish

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Wow $30 shipping…..put it in a USPS priority box about $7.50…….I have been wearing mine for 6 years 3 or 4 trips per year with zero problems……

if you are not going to buy any more what boot are you going to change to that are as comfortable…..

Upvote 0

shajcl

Oct 16, 2005
Alameda
Name
JL
Boat
n/a
I can buy the same glue and repair it myself for less than the cost of one way shipping. I was disappointed with Lacrosse for not just replacing it after seeing the photo I sent. I also could document when the boot was purchased.

Upvote 0

shajcl

Oct 16, 2005
Alameda
Name
JL
Boat
n/a
USPS priority shipping has gone up. Just sent some goodies in a large USPS priority box to my son in the US Air Force Academy and it cost $17.45

Upvote 0

shajcl

Oct 16, 2005
Alameda
Name
JL
Boat
n/a
I will glue it back together and contine use it until I can't. Still have a few pairs of the Shimano Evair deck boots.

Upvote 0

richiebugman

Bugman
Oct 31, 2008
Raton NM USA
Name
Richie Meier
Boat
none
Jeff, I have that same boot with That exact same separation, not quite as big as yours but mine still leaked, Used the boots about 5 times at the lake, And I also was disappointed. But They are the most comfortable boot I have ever worn, with that said I decided to repair them myself. I used Dap Sealant Auto/Marine silicone says it withstands Saltwater, Wont crack or shrink. I bought them for LR trips, They haven't made it yet (We'll See). Hope this helps, Richie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Outhouse

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
I use to duck hunt a lot, an we would get leaks from ice cutting the boots. We used to buy a product called Aquaseal I believe and it would fix any leak.

Upvote 0

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
Jul 2, 2009
So Cal
Name
Sir2you
Boat
No Name........
No issues with mine and they are 3 years old and have at least 75 weekend trips on them.... I used to use my Vasque waterproof light weight hiking boots but these grip the decks better..... most comfortable fishing boot I ever wore (with a gel pad insert).

The "Aquaseal" product is great stuff... I have fixed many tears in wetsuits and even glued patches onto inflatable boats with it..... you can get it via Amazon or local dive shops usually have it.

Upvote 0

Sactotuna

Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
Over 70% of Lacrosse footwear are now made in subcontractor's factories in China, where quality control goes to die.
Your defect is very common. An archery board I visit covered this particular defect two years ago, so it's not an isolated thing.

Upvote 0

bluewaterbum

Jul 16, 2012
Riverside, Ca
Name
Kim
Boat
none
Jeff, did I miss something in your OP, did the company say they were just going to glue them back together or did they say, send them in for inspection to see why they seperated. I would call them back and see what they are going to do glue or replace. After making the call then decided whT your going to do, if they are going to replace then send them in, if not then glue them.

Upvote 0

shajcl

Oct 16, 2005
Alameda
Name
JL
Boat
n/a
The company said they will inspect it then will decide the course of action. Too much trouble. I just glued it myself.

Upvote 0

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
Didn't XTra Tuff boots go through that whole mess with they off-shored manufacturing to China? I hate a lot of stuff that I bought over the years that were made in China, whenever I buy a product over $50 I actually go out of my way to see where its manufactured. If its says CHina, I think twice about purchaseing it. A recent article I read on outdoor clouthing actually talked about a lot of manufacturing coming back to the USA because of rising costs of business in China. Interesting to see the effects on the consumer.

Upvote 0

falconer

Aug 17, 2006
Spokane, Washington
Name
Doug Pineo
Boat
16 foot 1955 Crestliner
We've kept our production in the USA since day One (April, 1968) and now are seeing more and more production returning to USA. I want to get my son some Xtra Tuffs for our July trip on the Polaris Supreme, but the damn things are made in China now, and the POS quality saga is well known and documented. LaCrosse moved most of their production to China as Sactotuna wrote above, so I wouldn't be surprised if yours were made there.

Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
I've had a pair of xtratuffs for over a decade. I wish they would bring their production back to the states since their boots now suck balls.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I'm not sure there is still a problem with the X-tra Tuff boots. Thought they had a glue problem that was corrected. Anyway, I bought a pair of new ones (offshore made) and they're holding up fine.

Upvote 0

shajcl

Oct 16, 2005
Alameda
Name
JL
Boat
n/a
Once in a while someone steps up to the plate and asssit others in need. One of BD's memeber Hol-e-Mackeral on his own contacted Lacrosse and explained my situation with the defective boot. Now Lacorsse agreed to provide free shipping to have my boot send back for inspection, with possible repair / replacement. I am very impressed with the above and beyond self motived effort by Hol-e-Mackeral to help me with this matter. I just dropped the boots off at UPS. Will see what Lacrosse do. I will update the post as soon as I hear from Lacrosse.

Upvote 0

richiebugman

Bugman
Oct 31, 2008
Raton NM USA
Name
Richie Meier
Boat
none
That is cool,nice job hol-e-Mackeral, Inspired me too do the same thing, Don't Know if they will accept it with all the silicone on them, Did find the Original LaCross box tho, But not the reciept. Guess I will have to give them a call and find out. Let me Know how yours turned out. thanks for the help, This board sure is COOL. Richie

Upvote 0

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
I got my boots at Fishermans as the rep said that they were one of the last one made in the US. They are still working great. My last set lasted more than 14 years of hard fishing (no less than 45 days of Long Range and countless overnight trips).

Upvote 0

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
An update on Lacrosse service.

As a big supporter of this boot over the last several years.. I had never had a problem. I do bring 2 pairs on my LR trips, just in case.. On my recent epic RP trip, I did spring a leak on one of my Lacrosse boots. no problem, I work the back up pair. I did send the leaky boots back to Lacrosse and they will be sending me a new pair at no charge.. they also have paid shipping both directions. Their customer service was excellent.. I would say that purchasing the boots directly from Lacrosse is a good idea as compared to a distributor...

tight lines,

Jeff

Reactions: shajcl and Artois
Upvote 0