PENN

radman

Jun 10, 2006
escondido
Name
Darrin
Boat
Stringari
It sure seems like there are not many reports in the first few days.Usually everyone is showing off the bugs!We fished Saturday in the bay,and went outside the point last nite,which I usually only do about twice a season.Weather was not super good,with a big swell.It is good to see that the population of lobster is thriving in san diego waters!My 6 yr old caught his 2nd legal halibut in 2 weeks in the bay,so he pulled most of the nets saturday nite,and we got 3 of them,and he was sick last nite,so only my 8 yr old went,and even in rough waters,he was pulling like a big boy...until the fullest net of the nite came up with 18 in it!He was saying how he could feel it "Kicking" and how heavy it was.He was right.We were done by 9pm with limits,so just played dodge the buoys on the way in.We got most of them very shallow,with a few in 35 ft,but those were the deepest.

Auggie.jpg Valerie.jpg

Upvote 0

duckbutter6a

Florida man living in SoCal
Nov 15, 2014
El Cajon
Name
Hank
Boat
Dusky 17
Awesome.

I went out the opening evening. Got 3 keepers and 20 or so shorts.

Gonna try again soon. Would have posted a report but between moving, new job, ikea furniture, and sleep deprivation I haven't been motovated lol.

Upvote 0

T Shark

Jun 15, 2007
So Cal
Name
Michael
Boat
My Medication
Way cool to see them holding their catch. Way to go!

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Way to go. Nice report

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
great post!!!! Nice work dad

Upvote 0

WaterDawg

Jun 28, 2008
Ladera Ranch, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
17' Whaler
Great catch!! Haven't gone yet. Tides suck this weekend so probably will wait. Last year was better later where we go so in no hurry. Still trying to catch tuna.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
catalina wfo...........

we have been every night except monday due to wind...
You were at Catalina Sunday Night? It was a ripping' wind if I recall.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
It sure seems like there are not many reports in the first few days.Usually everyone is showing off the bugs!We fished Saturday in the bay,and went outside the point last nite,which I usually only do about twice a season.Weather was not super good,with a big swell.It is good to see that the population of lobster is thriving in san diego waters!My 6 yr old caught his 2nd legal halibut in 2 weeks in the bay,so he pulled most of the nets saturday nite,and we got 3 of them,and he was sick last nite,so only my 8 yr old went,and even in rough waters,he was pulling like a big boy...until the fullest net of the nite came up with 18 in it!He was saying how he could feel it "Kicking" and how heavy it was.He was right.We were done by 9pm with limits,so just played dodge the buoys on the way in.We got most of them very shallow,with a few in 35 ft,but those were the deepest.

View attachment 795120 View attachment 795121
Great job with those kids!

Upvote 0

ShadBurke

Just a Guy and his Boston Whaler
Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardian
Going to run again tonight if you want to go john. Seems like 90% of the keepers are males. Your bait trick seems to do better that just straight macs.

"the red-er the better....."

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Going to run again tonight if you want to go john. Seems like 90% of the keepers are males. Your bait trick seems to do better that just straight macs.

"the red-er the better....."
I'm already locked and loaded for tonight Shad, heading out at 11 this morning.
Thank You for the invite though!

Seems you've changed neighborhoods these days, good for you.
What happened to your rocket ship, or am I just reading the wrong book these days?

Sorry for the highjack Darrin!

Upvote 0

ShadBurke

Just a Guy and his Boston Whaler
Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardian
Last night consistent results. Solo mission. Two strings and done by 9:30pm.

Seas were better than eariler in week

Skipjack bait. 175 ft. weighted traps.

20161007_073212.jpg

Upvote 0

IrieMitch

Waterman
May 18, 2010
Newport Beach, CA
Name
Mitch
Boat
Captain of Papa's Haven (52' Cabo), Thunderbird Sportfishing
I agree, its one of those fisheries that is better left enjoyed, rather than talked about. And mad respect to the guys going deep, i'm sure you have a winch but still, that's another level of rigging and dedication!

Looks like we have a good season going!

Upvote 0