Labor Day Weather: SWELL!!! Any salty dog advice?

SemperFishing

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
<TABLE class="full boxB" id=fctTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=rowW onmouseover="this.className='rowY'" onmouseout="this.className='rowW'"><TD class=sortC>My first post, thought some BD'ers could benefit from thoughts on Hurricane Jimena coming through. Its suppose to make landfall today in Baja, with little effect on us until Friday, then 4-6 foot swells, but not a lot of wind. Any thoughts on how this will make the fishing better (or kill it?)? I'm booked on a 2 day aboard the Apollo leaving friday night, and am flying from Atlanta for this trip. Kinda worried about the fishing on this. Any salty dogs who fished tuna during a big swell have any expereinces (preffebaly not just about chumming the water LOL). Thanks in advance!

Dave

Heres the Marine Report:

Thu Night
Wind W 10 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. Mixed swell W 3 to 4 ft and S 2 ft.

</TD></TR><TR class=rowW onmouseover="this.className='rowY'" onmouseout="this.className='rowW'"><TD class=sortC>Fri
Wind NW 10 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. Mixed swell W 4 to 6 ft and S 2 ft.

</TD></TR><TR class=rowW onmouseover="this.className='rowY'" onmouseout="this.className='rowW'"><TD class=sortC>Fri Night
Wind NW 10 to 15 kt in the evening... becoming variable less than 10 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. Mixed swell W 4 to 5 ft and S 2 ft.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Alright, sorry for posting this here, noob mistake. After I read it, big ol' READ THIS BEFORE POSTING ANYTHING post stares me in the face.

Doesnt help to eat and type at the same time...

Reel Trouble

SooooPlame
Jan 3, 2005
Tustin, CA
Name
Mr. G
Boat
24' Balo & 18'cc Darth Invader
Go Fish, unless you get a lot of wind all you'll feel are just rollers. Hopefully it pushes the fish up closer to us, but on a big boat you should have nothing to worry about. Catch fish and post your report.

Buena Suerte

eightmd

May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Doal
Boat
17' Nitro
I'm going out on the 3rd on a 5 day. I was not happy to hear about the hurricane but when you book a trip an year in advance you can't complain much about the weather. 4-6' swells really doesn't sound too bad. I purposely don't bother to look and see what the weather is going to be because I'm going anyway if the boat is, so I don't need that information.

When it comes down to it. I'd rather be out there bobing around with a good chance of fishing than here at work. And if the fishing sucks, so what. I'll have a few drinks and get them next trip.

Go fishing, have a good attitude, and hopefully we'll have a great time. Good luck.

6xJr

Feb 11, 2005
Encinitas
Name
Nate
Boat
25WA Hydra-sports
It's really too early to tell what the storm is going to do. Right now it looks like the storm is going to basically go straight up the baja pennisula and cross over into the sea of cortez. If it follows the current forecasted track we probably won't see any swell this far north from it. If it moves to the W, then we could see a relatively solid, relatively short period swell, 10, 11 second(as compared to groundswells from the Southern Hemi, and the Aleutians 14 to 20 sec). However, it shouldn't be all that bad on the outer waters, more a bit of a roll. Really, the dominant local pattern will determine how the sea state will be more than anything. If it's windy, with super short period wind swell (4-5 sec) then it will make for a "crappy" weather day. If it's flat calm gorgeous with only the hurricane swell in the water it'll be just fine. Generally hurricanes are good for pushing warm water and fish our way. So, long story short, probably wouldn't worry about it, but obviously monitor it as hurricane forecasting beyond about 24 to 48 hours is really shotty. Have fun!

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going come hell or high water (pun intended), but have never fished in hurricane induced swells. Hopefully the excellent fishing continues. If not, well....then not. Thats fishing!