LaBocana/Abreojos

jsl

Oct 8, 2005
Ontario
Name
Scott
Boat
none
I've got some time off with nothing to do until my next trip so I gave a buddy a call and we made a last minute, spontaneous trip down to LB. My buddy wanted to help out some local kids with bikes so we said what the heck, and went down there to poke around.

Day 1:
Fished the local banks off LB for small calicos, sheephead, and whitefish. Trolled Rapala Magnum 30's for nada and called it quits early as conditions sucked. Water was brown and cold.

Day 2:
Made the decision to go all the way down to try "Lagringa Bank" some 17 miles or so south. Went there and trolled, dropped down bait, jigs, krocks, scampis, and pretty much everything we had for nada again. Water was cleaner but cold and lifeless. I didn't see a thing on the meter and there was zero bird activity or any other activity to speak of. Went back to try the reefs off of Abreojos and trolled and trolled and trolled for nada again. The water was dirty but there was bait in the area and tons of sand bass but that wasn't what we were after so we came in early again.

Later that afternoon, a local skipper by the name of Juanchys took me fishing in the laguna and that was awesome. We fished plastics on jigheads for halibut, spotted bay bass, and huge sculpin and it was W.O. Pretty funny how I caught way more fish and had way more fun doing it then the offshore stuff. Anyhow, after speaking to the locals, it appears as though we were a couple months early as the bite really takes off late summer into fall.

The trip sucked in terms of fishing but we made some new friends and had a great time with the locals. Funny thing happened to us upon our arrival into town as we got lost and wound up stuck in sand. I took a walk and flagged down a local and a cop. With my broken Spanish and a little sign language, I was able to get them to help out. We get back to the truck to see another cop and another local there trying to pull us out. For over an hour and at 11pm, these four dudes were out there digging us out and finally managed to free us. My buddy graciously tries to hand them some money for their trouble but they declined. It took a bit of a standoff with us insisting and them declining but they finally relinquished and accepted. To me, this speaks volumes about the character of the people down there as we found them to be most kind, generous, and hospitable people anywhere. They opened up their homes and kitchens to us and treated us like we were old friends. I was thoroughly impressed and will definitely be coming back.

Scott

Upvote 0

Tues

Not my job...
Mar 17, 2008
Saluki
Name
Penis
My buddy graciously tries to hand them some money for their trouble but they declined. It took a bit of a standoff with us insisting and them declining but they finally relinquished and accepted. To me, this speaks volumes about the character of the people down there as we found them to be most kind, generous, and hospitable people anywhere. They opened up their homes and kitchens to us and treated us like we were old friends. I was thoroughly impressed and will definitely be coming back.

Scott

I have heard the same thing about that town.

I will be down there one day!

BTW - If that sucked...try living here in AZ. It's been 110 the past 4 days...

Nice report!

Upvote 0

Surfdoc

The finger in the Dyke!
Mar 7, 2003
Bahia Asucion BCS
www.momentoffame.com
Name
Stan
Boat
Mx Panga, MOJAC
Damn......could have given that fish report before ya left SD LOL

The folks on this part of the pacific coast are the best!! La Bocana has some awsome folks.. Hope Juanchy showed ya his brothers resturant. Killer food!
Plan a trip back down in August or Sept. It'll be off the charts!! Congrats on finding out why I relocated down here!!!

Upvote 0

msteve1014

Almost A Member
Nov 17, 2006
oxnard,ca
Name
mike
Boat
12 duroboat, Blackman 20
The people are great all year, but you need to pick your times for the fishing. That lagoon has saved a lot of trips at the wrong time of the year, or just big winds/swells that would kept you on the beach.

Upvote 0

Captain Juan SQ

ARLETT DEL MAR.
May 14, 2008
San Quintin BCN mex.
Name
Captain Juan SQ.
Boat
parker 23/20.slaptail.
hey scott,the reds are on in sq,didnt i go thrue the bocana drill with you and todd.?????????

Upvote 0

Bajabocana

Almost A Member
Nov 11, 2005
La Bocana BCS
www.labocanahotel.com
Name
Blanca and Les
Boat
21, Panga Extra
Hi Scott ! Very accurate reporting but wait til next month when we start posting about all the "catchin !!!!"

and thanks to both of you for the support with the bicycles (past and future) ....

and yup, they ate at Joaquin's - matter of fact, they woke him up from his siesta to make their fish for them the first day !! After that, it was dinner every night.

come back soon Scott,

blanca and les

Upvote 0

jsl

Oct 8, 2005
Ontario
Name
Scott
Boat
none
Blanca and Les: Thanks for the nice place and your hospitality, we'll definitely be returning with more bikes next time.

Tues: You gotta check this place out. According to the locals, the average temperature is mild and very comfortable year round.

Juan: It was a spontaneous trip and we weren't expecting much considering it's still kinda early in the season. A big factor in going down was to distribute the bikes.

Surdoc: Yep, had Joaquin's cooking and it was da bomb! He cooked some of the squid we had left over and that was the best bait I've ever had. Great stuff.

Upvote 0

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 22, 2003
San Diego,Ca
Name
Derek
Boat
complicated
Glad you made it down there amigo...........Next time I'll get ya down there in my boat and well clean house!!!!

Upvote 0

Bajabocana

Almost A Member
Nov 11, 2005
La Bocana BCS
www.labocanahotel.com
Name
Blanca and Les
Boat
21, Panga Extra
We went to punta abreojos today and DRUM ROLL ..... we heard the yellowtail are 5 miles out ..... JULY IS AROUND THE CORNER !!!

Scott - Loved having you here but you were gone 99% of the time hahaha ... all we saw were whisps of hair as you flew off fishing and partying and eating and fishing some more !!! What a good life, huh ???!!

Nice offer Derek - all the guys were busy so they went out with RY, Domingo's son and shore fishing with Juanchy in the pm.

Hi up north neighbor ... one of these days we shall make it up there again. Or come south and have a beer on the porch, it's still in the same place and Rex is waiting to welcome one and all.

Upvote 0