bajababy

Ben
May 6, 2004
Corona
Name
Ben Alexander
Boat
26' seaswirl Natalie Ann
Just returned from a week of fishing/diving/filming in La Paz... We pulled a couple of boats down and stayed at Baja Joe's (nice place).

I fell in love with La Paz 20 years ago because it was the only place on earth where you could dive with schooling hammerhead sharks, whale sharks and giant manta rays (usually all in the same dive!) La Paz is known worldwide for its magnificent diving. The chance to encounter some "really big" ocean creatures has lured scuba divers to Baja for many, many years.

This time the fishing was slow..... and the dive became something I will never forget...

On our second day of fishing, we were south of La Paz and began to see Large areas of something white on the ocean floor. At first I thought we were over a large sunken ship! We stopped to investigate.

I jumped in with dive gear and video camera to examine what we were seeing from the surface. To my horror, I found dozens of piles of giant manta rays rotting on the ocean floor! The same manta rays that dive operators put pictures of in their brochures to attract divers to La Paz... lay on the bottom dead!

How can this be?

The flesh was stripped from their gigantic wings (some measured over 12' across)

When did Giant Manta Ray become a targeted species to this extent?

manta3.JPEG

It made me sick to my stomach! I spent the better part of the afternoon documenting these piles on film. Close to 1000 of these magnificent creatures lie on the bottom in various stages of decomposition....

manta.JPEG
manta2.JPEG

Several piles were spread out over a 1/4 mile radius and all were within a a large set of gill nets that stretched for almost a mile...

net.JPEG

The nets stretched from the sand bottom to the surface of the ocean. Anything that can't fit through the 12" openings in the net is doomed... sea turtles, sharks, rays, mantas, large game fish etc. etc. etc.

Will Mexico ever stop destroying their marine ecosystem in the Sea of Cortez?

Who can I contact to stop this?

Does anyone even care?

Upvote 0

http404

Dyslexics Untie!
Nov 3, 2004
That one place
Name
Tim
Boat
ves-sel (noun) Nautical A craft, especially one larger than a rowboat, designed to navigate on water
Wow, that is terrible.

Upvote 0

Pescador Paul

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 11, 2004
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
Sold the Pursuit- Only a kayak and Wave Runner now
This has been going on for many years. You can see the butchered carcasses on the beach at Las Arenas when you return to the beach after a day of panga fishing. My 9 year old son was rather upset at the carnage.

Pescador Paul

Upvote 0

GiantSquid

Aug 18, 2005
San Francisco
Name
Josh
Boat
Nope
This has been going on for many years. You can see the butchered carcasses on the beach at Las Arenas when you return to the beach after a day of panga fishing. My 9 year old son was rather upset at the carnage.

Pescador Paul

Ditto on my end...very distrubring but apparently where a great deal of what passes for scallop meat comes from!

Upvote 0

mooningu

MLPA [email protected]!& DISTURBER
May 25, 2005
Lake Elsinore
Name
Dave Moon
Boat
S.S. Rosie Palm
That just made me sick to my stomache.

As much as I hate to say this, send the pictures to GreenPeace. Let those wackos go down there and see what they can do.

Upvote 0

Stanley

Pro Boat Scrubber
Nov 28, 2003
Agua Hedionda
Visit site
Name
Spooker
Boat
24' Skipjack FB, 19.5' Glastron SE and a ScupperPro TW
Taken off another site:

"Some mantas are hunted outright; others wind up as by-catch in nets. In Mexico, their dead value is about 40-cents a pound compared to the $10 to $20 that shark fins command (another sad story.) The slaughter of manta rays is senseless especially in light of their relative economic value. Andrea Tomba of the Cortez Club in La Paz, Mexico considers mantas a primary attraction drawing divers from around the world. He estimates that mantas contribute to an average daily income of $3,300-per-day for the 10 local diving tour operators. Sherry, Scott and anyone else who has ever swam with these gentle giants knows that the value of a manta experience cannot be calculated in dollars. For many of us, swimming with the majestic manta ray accounts for an experience of a lifetime."

Upvote 0

pfish

Sep 20, 2004
leucadia
Name
Pfish
Boat
23 Parker
The solution is quite simple really: People are going to quit going down to Baja. I have been down there 4 years in a row and the fishing is not as good from the year before. I will not go down next year. It is that simple. When I am out in the water and never lose sight of the seiners, that is a signal to me. Vote with your pocket books. They seem to listen to that a bit better.....

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2007
Huntington Beach
Name
Max
Boat
15' Boston Whaler
ugh. man shit like this honestly makes me sick to my stomach, if you find out about anything to help remedy this please let me know. i am all in. ill talk to my professors at school and see what they know.

Upvote 0

divegod1

AKA "unidentified angler"
Jan 24, 2007
HOT!
Name
Michael
Boat
next one i'm on...
Having dove with Mantas, that shit makes me cry. They are not even that stupid in Asia. I really think mexico needs to be nuked.

Upvote 0

eljurel

Cazador de Mar y Tierra
May 3, 2006
SD, La Paz, BOLA
Name
Genaro
Boat
"Baja Hunter" Striper 2301
When seaturtles became prohibited, restaurants started usind Manta meat as a substitute for the dish they called cahuama and now cahuamanta.....and theres thousands of this restaurants all along baja...look in the menus..but manta is a legal species to target, even if they are beautifull or fun to dive with, I don't want to know what would happen if they found out whaleshark was edible...

Upvote 0

eljurel

Cazador de Mar y Tierra
May 3, 2006
SD, La Paz, BOLA
Name
Genaro
Boat
"Baja Hunter" Striper 2301
Cut all long liner and gill net buyes. They can't catch ya if your in a fast boat. Fucks up their day for sure and it's fun to do.

Sure and leave them lying in the ocean for ages and keep killing and killing sea life. Thats a lot of fun...:imdumb:

Upvote 0

brian_g

Chango Blanco
Oct 28, 2004
San Diego
Name
Brian Groff
Boat
20' Blackman "Little Provider"
Very depressing, but it seems to be the norm now days. Maybe I was nieve in my younger years but it seems like it's gotten alot worse over the span of my time visiting/camping/fishing in Baja.

Bummer.....

Upvote 0

Latest posts