smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
won't b mine
One year after COVID cancelled our original trip, me and a partner finally headed down to La Paz to try finding the YT. I had snuck in a very short trip late fall to check out the city for hotel and fishing outfitters. We opted to stay off the Malecon at HBlue. There are little to no specific accommodations for fishermen, however the hotel is really very nice, safe and very clean. Previously I had found Mosquito Fleet was willing to process and hold our catch in their freezers until we were flying out, so we stayed the course with them. Flew in on Monday, up early Tuesday and headed out. Bought our bait, then made our way to Espirito Santos. Our take for the day= zero. Talk about frustrated, absolutely frustrated! I was up early again Tuesday, but the plan was to split up a bit. My buddy had planned on doing a bunch of paperwork he brought down for HIS TAXES of all things, and I was taking a bus to fish out of Loreto, a bucket list place. It's about 4, maybe 4.5 hours or so- didn't really pay much attention and kept the window curtains closed. I had previously been in contact with Captain Johnnie (Yoan Velis Murillo) by a recommendation from here on BD. In La Paz, pangas were going for $450+; Johnnie was charging $250 with processing included; what I got was even more! Johnnie picked me up from the bus station, a lone shed of a building with a palapa style shade awning at the crux of highway crossings. Being a dummy, I never made hotel reservations so I just stayed at a place just off the Malecon, and had it all to myself! Loreto is a small town, almost a village you could say, and everybody really almost knows everybody. we made plans for him to pick me up at 6:15 the next morning for the short ride to the docks. He was providing lunch and waters and had them ready, along with the ice for the kill bag. I met his Captain Francisco/Paco that was taking me out- I was a little surprised, but, hell, I'm going fishing so let's go! On the way out, I got a bit of Paco's bio- 4th generation fisherman, all his living relatives are currently fishermen, fished throughout the COVID slow/shutdown. It took us about 7 minutes to get to where we made bait, about 15-20 minutes to make bait, then another 12 minutes to Isla Carmen. Even as typed this, I never really knew the name, but did know it was a location that I would have to purchase a wristband license to fish that day. Guys and gals, that was without question the best $5/US I have spent in a long time! Heading out of Loreto was absolutely beautiful in the morning. The morning air, the sun still down in the horizon, and the quiet hummmm of the other pangas heading to make bait, and my cup of coffee in my hand! Having bait and now just off shore of Isla Carmen was spectacular! Then seeing something I personally haven't seen in years: boils and boils of YT all over the place! When I landed my first, it wasn't even 8a.m. yet! There was so much to see, I couldn't keep up with it all! I got to confess, I quickly found out how out of shape I had gotten during this COVID year! I got my limit of 6 very good sized yellows by 10a.m. and although Paco wanted to fish for his family, a morning fog rolled in so we headed back to the docks. Really, I was glad so I could say I "didn't wimp out"! Johnnie met us and took me back to my hotel, and took the fish to process. When I woke from my long nap, I called a taxi to go to dinner, just as I had done last night. When the driver came, I asked for any Locally popular taco shop and invited him to be my guest. To my surprise, he told me I had pissed the other taxi driver off, so he refused to come. Imagine that: only two taxi drivers in town, and I manage to piss off one of them! The next morning, Johnnie picked me up, had my fish (mostly) frozen and took me to the bus station. $250 was well spent! Back in la Paz, the fillets now on ice, my partner's taxes ready to file (jaja!!) our plans were ready to head out on Saturday! It was made very understood with the captain what we wanted: the best chance of landing yellowtail! Our total for Saturday= zero! In all fairness to the crew, they worked their butts off, moved us around Espiritu Santos, tried yo-yo, trolling, you name it, we did all we could and were surrounded by other boats getting absolutely nothing. We were satisfied that it wasn't going to be much more than "a bad day fishing"!! A few, well, more than a few drinks later, all was good! Sunday, another side trip, this time to Todo Santos for some shopping and more food and drinks. The entire week we were together, my partner kept saying he wanted to hear a mariachi, almost to the point of hiring a group. Now back at the hotel, we went up to the rooftop bar for more drinks and I'll be damned if a mariachi band doesn't come in for a group that was celebrating a birthday at the hotel! OMG!! Someone that knows Spanish help me here: they played a song called Chingas Tu Madre!! As little Spanish that I know, I nearly peed myself laughing so hard at the lyrics!

Take-aways: in La Paz, Hotel HBlue especially for comfort; Uber is available; if you don't know Spanish, sit near someone when the mariachi sings Chigas Tu Madre!
Loreto, Yoan Johnnie Murillo for a panga with Capitan Paco for $250-> 011-52-613-104-1982; don't piss off more than one taxi driver!

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
typography font GIF

• Haha
Reactions: karlk1125 and esgeo
Upvote 0

jak

Nov 28, 2006
Kendrick
Name
Jerry
Boat
in the market
Great report
Going back down on the 8th for the month of May.I will be fishing out of the Puerto Escondido. Cant wait to get back on the Yellows.

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
won't b mine
Next trip to La Paz hit me up I'm moving there next year!!!8-)

Craziest thing was having lunch on the Malecon: my friend was returning from the banos, when he spots a former co-worker sitting at a near-by table. He'd moved down 5 years ago! For you, it's sure a lot closer to Cabo! Let me know if you end up getting a boat for hire.

Upvote 0

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 22, 2003
San Diego,Ca
Name
Derek
Boat
complicated
Craziest thing was having lunch on the Malecon: my friend was returning from the banos, when he spots a former co-worker sitting at a near-by table. He'd moved down 5 years ago! For you, it's sure a lot closer to Cabo! Let me know if you end up getting a boat for hire.
I will have a nice boat down there....Not for hire we just fill up the gas tank and go!!

Reactions: smokinwater
Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Good write up Jon! :appl:

Reactions: yellowklr
    Upvote 0

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
    Apr 27, 2011
    Chula Vista, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    won't b mine
    How do you piss of a taxi driver LOL

Asking him to take you somewhere good to eat. He then says "Where do you want to eat?" In so many words, I remind him he lives there, not me!
    Emphasize- "in so many words!"

I thought he took it well because, well, I mean after all he did take me back to my hotel!

Upvote 0

Latest posts