PENN

tuff guy

Mar 31, 2013
San Diego, CA
Name
Matt
Boat
Boat
Fished la jolla today, mainly at the 32 spot, but hit the Canyon edge, 270, 60 fathom curve. Worked for about 6 hours, dropper loop with squid, jigs, droppers with artificials, nothing. Got one small copper we sent back and another unidentified rockfish we sent down. Really hard to stay on bottom. I used a 12oz and a 16 Oz weight but my triumph drifts hard and it's tough to keep on a spot.

Any tips to keep that drift controlled? Am I the only one struggling with the rockfish this year? Last year I lit em up regularly in that area. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

zing1402

• Jul 13, 2020
    yorba linda
    Name
    nick
    Boat
    which one
    About a month ago it was on fire out there now it has slowed way down for some reason your guess is as good as mine current was a little funky today more wind than current made it tough

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

tuff guy

Mar 31, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    Boat
    Yeah I thought about getting one, how much of a pain is it to set it? I got fed up today and throw a bucket out and tied it on to the bow anchor, didn't help much haha.

Upvote 0

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Bigtuna
    Boat
    Parker 2310
    Ah yeah it's super easy, just make sure you get an appropriately sized sock for your boat...or a size bigger. we have it tied to a rope ready to go. Just drop in the water. Easy to retrieve with the center strap. It will work much better than a bucket!

Reactions: pacificscout
    Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    Fished la jolla today, mainly at the 32 spot, but hit the Canyon edge, 270, 60 fathom curve. Worked for about 6 hours, dropper loop with squid, jigs, droppers with artificials, nothing. Got one small copper we sent back and another unidentified rockfish we sent down. Really hard to stay on bottom. I used a 12oz and a 16 Oz weight but my triumph drifts hard and it's tough to keep on a spot.

Any tips to keep that drift controlled? Am I the only one struggling with the rockfish this year? Last year I lit em up regularly in that area. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
    Its really more about... perfect position to drop straight down heavy.... Then catch two quick... They bite right now... if you are soaking you aren't in the right spot. On my kayak I limit out faster than it takes me to get to where I drop.

BE SELECTIVE, LEARN TO DIAL IN YOUR FISHFINDER.

Upvote 0

aztec23

• Aug 18, 2017
    North County SD
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Wellcraft 18 CC
    Was out there last week had the same luck as you. Current, wind, swell made it difficult to stay on my spot. Tried the sock before and it helps but when you have to circle back its a hassle to keep hauling it in and out. My next big purchase is going to be a trolling motor with spot lock. Problem is they are all backordered for months, damn pandemic!

Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    I had trouble today because the controller for my trolling motor died and my boat drifts really fast. I think it was a big tide as well.

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Stay on the wheel and keep the stern into the wind and swell and keep kicking it in reverse every 30 seconds on minute depending on the wind and current to stay over the spot. Only draw back is you may not be able to fish with the other's on the boat, Unless your good enough to fish with one hand and the other on the throttle and wheel. at least you'll stay over the spot and catch fish. It works like a charm!!

Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    I so very rarely can sit on a glass ocean and catch fish... It's the movement that makes shit happen!
    The HDS 8 is an excellent unit.

Upvote 0

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
    May 22, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    Halibut Howie
    Boat
    1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Not Blown-up Yet!"
    Install a trolling motor with a "spot Lock" function. A game changer for staying on a location with zero drift.

Advantages
    1. no drift
    2. keeps bow into wind and weather
    3. line almost straight up-and-down
    4. almost zero snags, or tangling with others
    5. spare motor
    6. extra weight forward keeps bow down and keeps boat from porpoising. I do not need trim tabs to keep bow up or down, just motor trim.
    7. use less weight to get down
    8. easy to remove to store or repair with "hockey puck" accessory
    9. Installed it myself with a few location challenges for batteries and motor.

Disadvantages
    1. cost
    2. where to put the batteries and install the motor
    3. learning curve
    4. getting someone to fix it in a timely fashion if it broke. Only one repair location in all of southern CA, Trolling Motor Doctor in Long Beach.

I have a saltwater Minn Kota 36vdc, 112 thrust, 60" IPilot with auto retrieve and deploy. I only use it for spot locking for rockfish. Once dialed in easy to use.

I could have gone with a 24vdc unit but did not want to buy something that proved to be too small. The 60" shaft is just long enough for my boat. On big swells almost comes out of water. I followed the install charts for shaft length. If I had to order another for this boat it would be the 72" shaft.

trolling motor.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    At least your were out that 3/4 of the fun... Thanks for the report!

Upvote 0

Smitty619vt

Oct 24, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    Sea Pro 21
    I fished LJ this weekend too and it was super slow. I don't think it was you brotha, just the time of year and close to a full moon phase. I never have much luck around those full moons but keep fishing them anyways haha. Keep your head up & put your dues in (time on the water) and you'll be catch limits before you know it 🤙

Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    Stay on the wheel and keep the stern into the wind and swell and keep kicking it in reverse every 30 seconds on minute depending on the wind and current to stay over the spot. Only draw back is you may not be able to fish with the other's on the boat, Unless your good enough to fish with one hand and the other on the throttle and wheel. at least you'll stay over the spot and catch fish. It works like a charm!!
    You are kidding right???

Reactions: aztec23
    Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    LJ is ALWAYS holding hungry fish... ALWAYS!!!

FISH EAT. You just have to know what to look for and LJ is special compared to most places I have fished.... iff... IFF you spend enough time in the area You will learn that the pattern is nearly the same each time you visit... i have to adjust about 200 yards day to day... but have yet to go hungry. Learn which birds are telling you what... And learn how to see YT, WSB, Halibut, and Rockfish on your depthfinder. It isn't hard to fill a bag with all the above. In my opinion... but I do use a kayak so....... yeah.

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Live boating! Head into the current at a idle if you got a cc. The charter boats up north do that.
    The reason I do the stern first is a couple reason's. 1) it's wider and people can spread out better without tangling, 2) I can see the lines in the water a lot better from where I'm operating the boat. Heading bow into would be a lot easier to keep the boat straight in relation to the lines that are on the bottom, But sometimes the people in the stern get a little spray on them especially when it's windy, Oh well that's the cost you'll pay when taking care of business. I catch a lot of fish that way, especially on the SMALL spots.

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white

FISH EAT. You just have to know what to look for and LJ is special compared to most places I have fished.... iff... IFF you spend enough time in the area You will learn that the pattern is nearly the same each time you visit... i have to adjust about 200 yards day to day... but have yet to go hungry. Learn which birds are telling you what... And learn how to see YT, WSB, Halibut, and Rockfish on your depthfinder. It isn't hard to fill a bag with all the above. In my opinion... but I do use a kayak so....... yeah.
    You're kidding right ? La Jolla has been shitty for quite a few years now.

Reactions: kevina

mark johnsen

Ichthus
    Aug 1, 2015
    redlands
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Blue J

What do the halibut look like on your depthfinder?