Migolito

Apr 25, 2019
SCal
Name
Mike
Boat
None
Hello folks
I'm noob to Kayak fishing/owning/outfitting. I'll be working the Cali coast and will be launching from ramps and sand. Specifically re La Jolla Shores: I have a 2wd Transit (it has limited slip rear) that is my kayak vehicle. Is the launch beach OK for 2wd?

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Maybe ? It's not far at all from the loading zone to the water though.Unload on the pavement and park the vehicle.

Upvote 0

iampumpkinman

May 19, 2009
Lakeside
Name
Dick
Boat
Ocean Prowler 15'
You should be fine on the sand, but i always park on the street and walk my kayak in. I dont trust having my kayak and gear sitting on the sand while i circle around lj looking for parking. If you dont have a kayak cart, you can make one pretty cheap with pvc and harbor freight wheels.

Reactions: skrilla
Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Len
Boat
Camo Whammo
Not a good idea especially now. Summer time brings in the crowds and rental companies. All that foot traffic chops up the sand at the launch making it pillow soft. Add in a high tide and you may not even have room to execute a u-turn. Little room to get a running start and if you do happen to get momentum people will walk right in your path causing you to slam on the brakes and potentially get you stuck even with a rear LSD or locker.

Loading zone is a circus.

I've done just fine finding parking at the crack of o'dark 30 and wheeling my gear a few short blocks to the sand. At the end of the day I wheel my stuff back passing the circus and not worrying about thieves stealing stuff from my kayak while I'm fetching my car.

Off season early morning damp and packed sand I've seen all kinds of cars on the beach no problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: O'side yakker

davidpratt

Jul 28, 2020
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
David Pratt
Boat
Not yet
You might be able to do it but you might qlso end up having to spend an hour finding someone to tow you out if you get stuck.

Bring a tow rope if you try it.

If you get stuck you can air down the tires to maybe get out but probably wont wanna drive on surface streets with them like that.

Upvote 0

Migolito

Apr 25, 2019
SCal
Name
Mike
Boat
None
Thanks for the responses. I finally found a great vid on LJ shores parking, launching, etc. Looks like Ill use the road and cart in. My Yak shows up Aug 16...and Chris Blevens Vids has got me believing in the area (great vids btw) See you on the water.

Upvote 0

Kmax

Jul 7, 2018
Sd
Name
Kyle
Boat
Kayak
I’m a la jolla regular.

Nothing 2wd is appropriate for driving on the sand at la jolla shores.

4wd is required and I have even seen 4wd get stuck as well.

I’ve seen hundreds of stuck vehicles over the years in La Jolla.

There might be “the perfect condition possible” where you could pull it off. But its unreliable because everyday the launch is redone by a tractor and most of the time its pure loose sand.

I drive a car and car top my kayak.
everything is wheeled out from a parking spot.

Upvote 0