sealskinner

Retired Pimp
  • Apr 24, 2005
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    Met up with my bud Rick (Mattanza) yesterday with high hopes. But the wind was up a lil. But any day out is a good day.
    Left Mission Bay with a gentleman's start. Skipped the bait barge. Made about 20 Mack's out by the jettys.
    Wind was up a bit with a mixed swell, but not bad.
    Plan was to start at 2-5 miles outside La Jolla trolling small hoochies and Rapalas. Looking for bones and Yt.
    There was just enough wind to make finding patties futile.
    Got a skippie trolling back to LA Jolla.
    We found a few spots in 300' that seemed to be loaded with Rockies. We loaded up and made out way to the kelp.
    I haven't fished the kelp in several years.
    One word. FUCKING SEALIONS. Sorry, 2 words.
    I hooked a sweet yt but got rocked like a MF'er. Then, when the sporty left. The knotheads hit every boat in site. At one point the sporty must have had 8-10 hounding it.
    We moved South for a few drifts, but mostly caught Mack's.
    Headed in about 6pm.

I love being on the water, so the lack of fish doesn't bother me. Rockies are always good.
    Thank you for the ride Rick.

Upvote 0

sdrepairman

Jul 2, 2012
    san diego
    Name
    nick
    Boat
    n/a
    Well thanks for trying
    The seals have been very bad the last couple months
    There have been 7-18 seals around the sport boats every day they go to La Jolla
    Makes for vary difficult fishing

Reactions: sealskinner
    Upvote 0

Mo Betta

Offshore Prop Changer
    Feb 6, 2003
    El Cajon
    youatplay.com
    Name
    Frank
    Boat
    25' Wellcraft sportsman "Mo Betta", 14' Livingston"Caballito"
    Thanks for the report Mike. Hope the wind dies down for my Saturday run.

Upvote 0

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
    Nov 28, 2015
    Tustin
    Name
    Croaker
    Boat
    Arima Sea Pacer
    Upvote 0
    P

Paddyman1

Met up with my bud Rick (Mattanza) yesterday with high hopes. But the wind was up a lil. But any day out is a good day.
    Left Mission Bay with a gentleman's start. Skipped the bait barge. Made about 20 Mack's out by the jettys.
    Plan was to start at 2-5 miles outside La Jolla trolling small hoochies and Rapalas. Looking for bones and Yt.
    We found a few spots in 300' that seemed to be loaded with Rockies. We loaded up and made out way to the kelp.
    I hooked a sweet yt but got rocked like a MF'er. Then, when the sporty left. The knotheads hit every boat in site. At one point the sporty must have had 8-10 hounding it.
    Headed in about 6pm.

I love being on the water, so the lack of fish doesn't bother me. Rockies are always good.
    Scientists need to develop a way to get those dogs to hibernate during the summer months, somewhere close to where adult GWS feed.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    well , just don't fish near the sport boats, find your own fish, and the seals should not be a problem. fish la jolla alot this season... caught my share of fish, with the seals..... but some days are worst the others... another thing I troll raps , don't fish much live bait... so seals seam the leave us alone.... couple things I have learned on fishing LAJOLLA

Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
  • Apr 24, 2005
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    well , just don't fish near the sport boats, find your own fish, and the seals should not be a problem. fish la jolla alot this season... caught my share of fish, with the seals..... but some days are worst the others... another thing I troll raps , don't fish much live bait... so seals seam the leave us alone.... couple things I have learned on fishing LAJOLLA
    We were at least 150 yards from the sporty. Josie Lynn was there also.
    We metered big yellows by La Jolla canyon. So that's where we set up.

Reactions: mrkrabs
    Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
  • Apr 24, 2005
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    When we were slow trolling Mack's, we were 50 yards from a dive boat's bow that was obviously pulling his anchor (straight up and down, no scope). We trolled around. When he got his anchor up. He hauls ass up to our port side to tell us that it would be nice if we could keep our distance. He was still flying his dive flag as he drove off doing 25knots.
    Is that normal?

Upvote 0

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
    Mar 14, 2010
    San Clemente
    Name
    Devo
    Boat
    Trophy
    Headed in about 6pm.

You got you 357, 302 30 06 and your obligatory seal bombs.....

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
    Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    I was surprised to see sling shots on NOAA's list of legal things to use on seals, as a kid we used to shoot pigeons all the time... I got a new wrist rocket and took twenty steel shot and a milk carton out to see if i could still do it. by the time i shot 10 shots i had my form back, seals are easy to hit unless you miss, then they don't stay up and open as long, but they are easy targets on the first shot... almost to easy. when you hit them they take off and they don't come back. Seals are never a problem now, I highly recommend getting a sling shot and practice with it a little and the seals will become fun.

Upvote 0

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
    Nov 28, 2015
    Tustin
    Name
    Croaker
    Boat
    Arima Sea Pacer
    I use glass marbles. Im not to good at it though. I hit my thumb. Guess I should keep my thumb down ?? Turned my nail black.

But youre right.... They learn quickly that they want no part of the slingshot.

Last time out we were pestered by cormorants. We caught four of them. Kind of like flying a kite when you bring them in.

Reactions: pacificscout
    Upvote 0

RockHopperNCKA

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 25, 2017
    Santa Rosa, CA
    www.norcalkayakanglers.com
    Name
    Dustin
    Boat
    Do kayaks count?
    I was surprised to see sling shots on NOAA's list of legal things to use on seals, as a kid we used to shoot pigeons all the time... I got a new wrist rocket and took twenty steel shot and a milk carton out to see if i could still do it. by the time i shot 10 shots i had my form back, seals are easy to hit unless you miss, then they don't stay up and open as long, but they are easy targets on the first shot... almost to easy. when you hit them they take off and they don't come back. Seals are never a problem now, I highly recommend getting a sling shot and practice with it a little and the seals will become fun.

You can shoot them with paintballs, too!

Reactions: Neillio
    Upvote 0

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 7, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Kurt
    Boat
    Robalo R180 Trailer Trash

I had a Wrist Rocket on the last boat, and was pretty good at bouncing marbles off those bastards’ heads. One hit and they were outta here. Given how noisy they were when leaving the scene, I believe it made an “impression” on them.

Now that I’m fishing bait more on the new boat, guess I should outfit it with another Wrist Rocket and a bag of marbles.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

REELCLOSE

Aug 14, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    25' Reinell
    When we were slow trolling Mack's, we were 50 yards from a dive boat's bow that was obviously pulling his anchor (straight up and down, no scope). We trolled around. When he got his anchor up. He hauls ass up to our port side to tell us that it would be nice if we could keep our distance. He was still flying his dive flag as he drove off doing 25knots.
    Is that normal?
    "Normal" for a jackass!

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
    Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    You can shoot them with paintballs, too!

Why I found that surprising is because a sling shot can kill them, even frozen paint balls wont do that. Marbles are a common and inexpensive ammo for a sling shot, and given their size and material are not likely to kill them... but "slingshot ammo" are steel shot, smaller and heavier than marbles and can do more damage. There is no description of a "slingshot" and in the old days they had one band, some of the new ones like the one I have, have three bands and obviously more power. David killed Goliath with a sling shot using a rock so it's potential for being a lethal weapon is well documented... assuming of course you have read the bible or believe the stories that it tells.

What I can tell you for sure is, you will have to practice a little to use it effectively, and when you hit them they take off and don't come back

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    A buddy and I used to snuff rabbits with sling shots. Ten minutes of practice and it's game on! This could be fun

Upvote 0