Offshore La Jolla report today, 30+lb Yellow, White Seabass, Saved a life (200lb Black)

PENN

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
HAHAHA....Good one...and I agree on all things mentioned. In my case, I guess it would be a combination of my abilities, knowledge and experience with being on the water my whole life. Btw, I do own a brand new anchor, chain, and line. But, would only carry it if I knew I was going to be doing anchoring overnight of the boat. Again, the small boat I have is a 16' Bayrunner/Westcoaster aluminum that I mounted a Minn Kota 70lb I-Pilot. Very cool GPS anchoring system.
Nobody is saying anything about an anchor because you might use it to fish.....
It's strictly a safety issue if your boat and or electronics shut down...
How do plan on stopping the boat from getting thrown on a jetty or beach if this happens and you are waiting for help..

Reactions: spize909
Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
As said above, if your battery dies, run out of gas, etc, etc. What are you going to do? If you are near shore, it's bye bye boat.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tony Q
Upvote 0

glenniesan

Apr 29, 2008
Coachella Valley
Name
Glenn
Boat
maybe some day
costanza.jpg

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

Welcome to Bdbuzzsaw.com!
Good effort on saving the BSB from potential mortality. Always an awesome sight just to see them.

Now - on the 30-32# YT claim, I call BS from a Newbie 1st post without pics! :D

Have a superfantastic day!

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
I pray that some day you don't find me laying on the sidewalk after a run with a knife in your hand......i wanna live

Reactions: Baja Belk
Upvote 0

Hangfire

Sep 22, 2007
Name
GW
Boat
Glastron Seafury
Not sure how many bsb a guy goin on the ocean with no anchor has handled but your diagnosis of that situation is a sad commentary...
How many times has anyone seen a dead floating bsb in their lifetime...
It doesn't happen...
I have heard this theory before, that is if you let a floater go that they will eventually right themselves and sound on their own. The biggest threat to this theory is not being run over by a boat but being mauled by a sealion. I have seen this happen in person to a friend fishing next to me who spent the better part of an hour trying to get this huge fish to sound and eventually letting it float off and a big bull sealion got a hold of it and from what I could tell started feeding on it, there was a massive spot of seagulls swarming the area, looked like the scene of a white shark attack.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
the air bladder inflates so the best and in my mind only way to fix the fish is to compress the air.....if you have no anchor get on the radio and find someone that does...if you have no radio......stay on a party boat you have no clue

Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
I have heard this theory before, that is if you let a floater go that they will eventually right themselves and sound on their own.
When I first heard about it 25 yrs ago I had just started commercial rod and reel fishin ...we always needled em on the sporties at that time and I had a hard time believing they would recover on their own even though commercial guys that had been doin it for years told me...
When we did it which was often because we did live sheephead at sbi a lot sometimes it took up to 40 minutes and was hard to just watch but 100% of the time they swam down on their own...
I can see the seal thing being a problem especially a bull ...but it's not something I've seen or heard before...

Upvote 0

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
  • Jul 6, 2004
    el cajon
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
    Nice job on the save
    Good job on the yellows

The other MADRUGADOR. .

Reactions: marshall madruga
    Upvote 0

Carlisle

Yacht Captain
    Apr 19, 2013
    San Diego
    Name
    David Carlisle
    Boat
    -
    Was out kayak fishing off LJ yesterday and ran into a guy that said he recently hooked a HUGE BSB, fought it for about an hour thinking it was a shark, only to realized it was a BSB after getting it to the surface. He said he did everything he could to get it back down, but he probably didn't have the experience to close the deal. We talked about what a waste it was to leave an eminence fish like that to die. Anyway, glad you were able to save it.

Upvote 0
    Jul 5, 2016
    Point Loma
    Name
    marshall madruga
    Boat
    madrugador
    Was out kayak fishing off LJ yesterday and ran into a guy that said he recently hooked a HUGE BSB, fought it for about an hour thinking it was a shark, only to realized it was a BSB after getting it to the surface. He said he did everything he could to get it back down, but he probably didn't have the experience to close the deal. We talked about what a waste it was to leave an eminence fish like that to die. Anyway, glad you were able to save it.
    Definitely a highlight in all my years of fishing. I'd put it right there with my IGFA all tackle Sheephead record. Just as bizarre......not as cool as the Black, as he got to live.
    LG phone pictures 060.jpg
    LG k7 phone 002.jpg

Upvote 0

jginsandiego

Stringari 1991 DF175 Suzuki
  • Sep 19, 2013
    United States
    Name
    John Gibson
    Boat
    Stringari 1991 Pilot house cuddy cabin/ Suzuki DF175TX
    I have heard this theory before, that is if you let a floater go that they will eventually right themselves and sound on their own. The biggest threat to this theory is not being run over by a boat but being mauled by a sealion. I have seen this happen in person to a friend fishing next to me who spent the better part of an hour trying to get this huge fish to sound and eventually letting it float off and a big bull sealion got a hold of it and from what I could tell started feeding on it, there was a massive spot of seagulls swarming the area, looked like the scene of a white shark attack.

My thoughts the same I saw a BSB just last month get caught by a couple guys in LJ they tried all they could for at least 15 minutes then the seals moved in. BSB had no chance and the one I saw wasn't much smaller then this one. If i had a issue and the doctors or a bystander was willing to help I would take the odds of any means necessary given the odds. Who knows the fish may be doing fine. Not all Medieval medicine methods were bad. you do what you gotta do when shit happens. This guy didn't catch it he saw it floating. So chances are someone else possibly with an anchor didn't try. I have seen many dozens of these big BSB while freediving they cant do a good job defending themselves while bobbing around. Good news is these things are being caught big time so they have made a great comback.

Upvote 0

jginsandiego

Stringari 1991 DF175 Suzuki
  • Sep 19, 2013
    United States
    Name
    John Gibson
    Boat
    Stringari 1991 Pilot house cuddy cabin/ Suzuki DF175TX
    So a degree in Fisheries Biology actually had a practical application?

I'm calling BS!

Yep,
    I know F&G wardens that have them and Observers that were placed on our commercial boats to do research of bycatch and observe quotas. Just last week I watched a few episodes of Shark week were some were on the show doing their thing. My daughter goes to Cal State North Ridge where they have a huge program in that field. In Fact we would be better off if people with those degrees were placed on The F&G commission rather then some of the types that have little to no experience in the real world of Ocean sciences and time on the water.

Upvote 0