Inshore La Jolla-October 17th

dudeman

Apr 5, 2011
san diego
Name
jason
Boat Name
Fish Taco
Thanks for report. Glad to hear water is still relatively warm considering the weather that blew through. Maybe there is still some bass that want to play closer to where the kelpline used to be. Did you catch the sheephead at 160'?

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

John S.

Aug 4, 2008
Valley Center, CA
Name
John
Boat Name
1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
Thanks for report. Glad to hear water is still relatively warm considering the weather that blew through. Maybe there is still some bass that want to play closer to where the kelpline used to be. Did you catch the sheephead at 160'?
Yes on the Sheapshead at around 165 feet. Water is crap color but warm. I trunked it yesterday when I was surfing and it felt 64 up at Cardiff but off color. I love Calico bass but I didn’t bother when I saw the water color. If it cleans up then I will go back after them. I was surprised how warm the water was after all that Wind. We will see what happen this week.

John

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Great report and info. Some tasty eaters.
    I guess better radio died inshore than
    offshore? It's always something isn't it? LOL

Upvote 0

ranchero

fishing-pox..?I have fishing plauge
    Apr 29, 2004
    SD
    Name
    Al
    Boat Name
    25 skipjack -Albatross
    fished a few hrs sat afternoon 2-5 between the tides for rf. super slow- amazing weather- did not ry for clico either but saw zero action there. I was surprised we only caught 1 sugar bass with conditions so good. Fished 2 hook rig with the white gulp and squid strips. Tried 2 mid day soak for bugs- nothing doing there either

on bug season opener- did well on rf

....slowest spring/summer/fall at LJ Kelp I ever had...no yt and mainly what i target.

John S.

Aug 4, 2008
    Valley Center, CA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
    It has been a while since LJ really turned on for a sustained yellowtail bite. Then again, we smoked the Dorado and got into Bluefin over the Summer less than 12 miles outside. Been a weird Summer but not complaining. My deal are Calicos, Yellowtail and Dorado. We did well on two of the three.

John

Upvote 0