cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
We slid into La jolla early just before 7 and already I can see it's not a fishy day. The life needed for Yellows to be there and active just isn't around. Oh well. Excited and hopeful because I'm going to throw iron today "for the fist time"... I'm starting to think I need to buy a jig stick and become "one of those" guys. Anyway, We start fishing the bottom roaming the edge where the "kelp" stops and the open water begins. There is a "gray" area of open water where there used to be kelp. Typical La Jolla. Slow. Slow until we started using the red crab. We put a red crab on a 2 oz. leadhead with a 5 in swimbait and that made the wait for the yellows to come up entertaining. Fish bit that red crab!
It's like 2 in the afternoon and we haven't seen any yellows. The birds start to work but again nothing comes up. We stopped going to every bird school that started to work because the fish weren't there. We keep an eye on them and soon a bunch of birds start doing that "right thing"... A skiff size spot of fish come up right in front of the boat and my buddy hooks a largish yellow. (camera battery died) It kicked his ass and we had a good laugh. Thanks La Jolla...

DSCN0988.JPG DSCN0989.JPG

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
Surface or YoYo?
Surface. They really went after it. They were fighting over it until one won! Two guys were die hard, I watched them for at least 3 hours slow trolling a bait and they never got bit...? Impressive how they stayed with it.

Reactions: SDFishingRob
Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
Do you have a pic of how you rigged the crab?
No pic. Nothing fancy. Just a leadhead with a swimbait and pin the crab on the exposed hook...

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
Upvote 0

urbanforest92

Almost A Member
Mar 27, 2014
Name
Gio
Boat
12 ft. Western Aluminum, WS Tapron 140, OK Scrambler 11
Ooooh nice panga! Very clean!! How much do Pangas typically run? They seem perfect for quick LJ runs!!!

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
Ooooh nice panga! Very clean!! How much do Pangas typically run? They seem perfect for quick LJ runs!!!
They cost about $3000... That's just the hull. Sorta like "IKEA" furniture... Some assembly required!:D

004.JPG

Upvote 0

Latest posts