La Jolla Father's Day - 06/18

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
After posting in the ride Share/Boat Ho List, I got a call from Tom who invited me to join him and his son, TJ for an outing on his 21' Tribute Center Console. The plan was to launch from Dana Landing in Mission Bay and fish La Jolla to see if we could put any YT on the boat. I met the guys at 6am at the ramp and we were on our way in no time. I never had a chance to fish La Jolla but read enough BD posts to be excited about the possibilities there. We stopped at the bait barge and picked up a nice half scoop of mixed anchovies/sardines and headed out of the harbor.

After a short drive, we saw schools of baitfish jumping out of the water and the marks were good. Tom and I flylined sardines while TJ started throwing the iron. I am not that great of a caster on conventional rods, but TJ made it look easy by casting what seemed like 100 yards time and time again. Plenty of rat YT were following his iron to the boat, but none would commit. TJ picked up a small calico that just a little bit bigger than his iron (ambitions little guy). We continued to move around stopping at bait balls, tossing jigs and irons while flylining and caught plenty of short calicos, barracuda, bigger mackerel, with TJ pulling a decent bonito. The small barracuda were crushing the sardines/anchovies right off the boat and it was really cool to see them strike like that. We had a lot of fish marked but no bigger YT so we kept moving on to find the right spot.

We then headed to a spot where Tom and TJ fished frequently. I wanted to call it a secret spot, but there were plenty of others out fishing around us. It didn’t seem that anyone else was doing much better; however, we did see one 12-15# YT on the gaff next to us. Other than that, it seemed like a pretty slow day for most of us out there as the radio chatter was also minimal. The marine layer burned off by 10:30 or so, and the water temp varied from 67-69 degrees. We continued to move around looking for better action, trying different jigs/irons/spoons, changed the presentation of the retrieve, fished different sections of the water column by using varying sizes sliding sinkers in combination with the flyline, and even went to the dropper loop with dead squid/live sardine. Even though we continued to catch small bass/barracuda, we were not having luck with the YT.

Eventually, Tom dropped down to his lightest rod/reel/line setup to see if that would made a difference. All of a sudden…Whammo! Tom is bent good on his light rod and the fish immediately makes a successful run for the kelp. Tom is tied up, but it is clear he has a really nice fish because you could still see the head shakes even though he was wrapped in kelp. TJ, took the wheel and I was ready with the gaff. Over the next 20 minutes or so, we worked to maneuver the boat around the kelp to see if we could get it unwrapped. These moments are my favorite because whatever Tom had was big and it could literally be anything. All three of us were filled with anticipation, excitement, and wonder as each of threw out guesses of what it could be, WSB, Halibut, YT… Eventually, the light gear couldn’t hold up and Tom got broke off…Dang!! We knew Tom would be thinking about that fish later that night as the big ones that get away have a knack for haunting you in your sleep. No action after that so we continued to move to see if we could find a better spot.

We drifted over a sandy bottom spot with live bait to see if we could find a nice halibut, but no luck. Then we headed over to the kelp with a few other boats and the fishing was still slow even though we were metering fish. Then it was TJ’s time to be hooked up with a dropper loop on the bottom. He was bent pretty nice and knew it was a halibut because of the strong headshakes. After just a few minutes, the fish let go and once we saw how bad the dine was scraped up, we all agreed that it was a good sized halibut that got away. It wasn’t too long before we headed back to the dock. All in all, we didn’t catch what we were targeting, but we had a really great day on the water. I am very grateful for Tom and TJ for letting me tag along on their Father’s Day trip. It was a great day to meet them and I hope to fish with these guys for better results really soon.
I attached a few pics but wont be surprised if they don't show here as my computer skills are not that good.

3.jpg 2.jpg 5.jpg

Ryan_J

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 5, 2013
Long Beach, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
Jupiter 31 - twin Yamaha F300's
Nice post! Great to see the share a ride part of the forums work out like it should. Great stuff!

Reactions: SaltH20Angler

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Sounds like a day full of fishing. Nice write up also.

tmitch760

Aug 6, 2008
Santee
Name
T.J.
Boat
Triumph 21 cc
Hey Chris, I was nice meeting you man. Too bad we couldn't get into any yellows. Nice write up too. No need for me to give a report, I think you covered it all.

And you guys out there looking for an extra guy. Chris was on time, always scrubbing the boat, covered his costs without asking for it and was cool to be around. Always welcome on our boat.

Last edited:

polfishski

Oct 5, 2008
Descanso
Name
Tom
Boat
20 SkipJack (Tail Chaser)
Great little read. Had me going a few times and felt the pain. Thanks for your report, although you didn't get your target sounded like a great day.

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Very nice write up! sounds like a good time on the water. Cool of Tom and TJ to include you!
Yeah I agree. Super cool guys, really nice sled, and a great day on the water. Definitely going to keep in touch with Tom and TJ. Plus, we need some pay back on those YT that didnt want to play that day. :cussing:

Reactions: tmitch760