Offshore La Jolla Canyun WFO - 9/4/15 - YFT, Dodo, marlin (blue???)

PENN

Strykteam

May 19, 2008
Costa Mesa
Name
Craig
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Rampage
It was a catching day!

Took my son (14) and a work friend out today and found them good. Slid in with two boats
117.29.907 (13 miles off La Jolla Cyn) and had the 20-45# YFT go full speed. It was WFO on bait, chunk, and jigs right in the corner until we ran out of bait about 1.5 hrs later. Final tally 25 YFT (10 released) and one nice dodo.

What an awesome week hanging with my son. Great dove shoot in Yuma followed up by killer fishing today! Nice way to finish off his summer!

But the highlight of the day was so f'ing cool. My friend is an accomplished blue water diver spearfisherman (briefly held original state bluefin record with a 173 pounder). He jumped in hoping to shoot a new state record yellowfin. While in, he had an estimated 400# blue marlin swim right by him and us in the boat. It was easily 13' long! He passed up on the shot and just enjoyed the memories!

He set my son up to jump in on our next paddy. It was holding also (hung YFT on flat fall) and they had a really nice striper swim around them, this time the whole thing caught on a go pro!

What a great day! Makes up for the skunk last week LOL...

Go get 'em!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Upvote 0

ssrmr2

Mar 15, 2006
OC
Name
Steve
Boat
17' montauk "Anger Management"
Sick!the only great problem of slaying is scrubbing the boat and fish processing!

Upvote 0

Mstonefish

Captain
Feb 6, 2003
Escondido
Name
Mark
Boat
22' Bayrunner CC 140 Suzuki 4 stroke
That sounds like an epic day, congrats. Any video of the blue or striper underwater?

Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
Proud papa.... enjoy the ride while it lasts - life is great!

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
The wow factor is up there....WOW!That would be a cool sight.

Upvote 0

tom cindric

Tom-broke-off
Jun 17, 2015
Lake elsinore
Name
all she's got
Boat
22 key largo / 2670 Glacier Bay
Wow great trip great experience for the young guy. This is one that will stay in both of your memory for ever. Ps killer photo of the kid and the striper in the back ground I'm gona show my 7 year old now what he has to look forward to.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2014
Name
Scott
Boat
Grady White 208 walkaround
Interesting. I just saw a pic of someone that shot a monster Blue Marlin yesterday in that same zone.
Nice work out there boys!

Upvote 0

Andrewxxx

Aug 25, 2014
San Diego
Name
Andrew
Boat
1985--18.5 Holiday Center Console
It was a catching day!

Took my son (14) and a work friend out today and found them good. Slid in with two boats
117.29.907 (13 miles off La Jolla Cyn) and had the 20-45# YFT go full speed. It was WFO on bait, chunk, and jigs right in the corner until we ran out of bait about 1.5 hrs later. Final tally 25 YFT (10 released) and one nice dodo.

What an awesome week hanging with my son. Great dove shoot in Yuma followed up by killer fishing today! Nice way to finish off his summer!

But the highlight of the day was so f'ing cool. My friend is an accomplished blue water diver spearfisherman (briefly held original state bluefin record with a 173 pounder). He jumped in hoping to shoot a new state record yellowfin. While in, he had an estimated 400# blue marlin swim right by him and us in the boat. It was easily 13' long! He passed up on the shot and just enjoyed the memories!

He set my son up to jump in on our next paddy. It was holding also (hung YFT on flat fall) and they had a really nice striper swim around them, this time the whole thing caught on a go pro!

What a great day! Makes up for the skunk last week LOL...

Go get 'em!

View attachment 621162

View attachment 621163

View attachment 621165

View attachment 621167

View attachment 621170

View attachment 621171

View attachment 621172

Thanks for calling out the numbers. I was about 5 miles away, but said what the heck. It was a bit slower for me, but I still got three YFT and lost a nice Dorado. The boat next to me had big Skipjack boiling all around them and they were whackin-em for about 3 hours or more. I think they had some YFT mixed in.
Once again, thanks for the hook up.

Reactions: Strykteam
Upvote 0

Strykteam

May 19, 2008
Costa Mesa
Name
Craig
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Rampage
Thanks for calling out the numbers. I was about 5 miles away, but said what the heck. It was a bit slower for me, but I still got three YFT and lost a nice Dorado. The boat next to me had big Skipjack boiling all around them and they were whackin-em for about 3 hours or more. I think they had some YFT mixed in.
Once again, thanks for the hook up.

Absolutely! Probably should've done it sooner...it's a fishing community!

Reactions: fishpicker
Upvote 0

Lugnutimus

Almost A Member
Aug 18, 2014
San diego
Name
Anthony
Boat
Off the chain
Freakin epic man! Excellent day and excellent shooting! That's definitely a few days of paradise! Love seein the photos, great shots and great catchin, words can't describe it in sure! Good stuff

Upvote 0

BretFarewell

Aug 2, 2014
Name
Bret Hudzietz
Boat
44 Pacifica
That is one of the most epic reports I've heard all summer. Great day and amazing pics!!

Upvote 0

Too Creechin

Sep 9, 2014
Name
Creechin
Boat
Too Creechin
NICE .... How the hell do you up that day. Stories to last ....remember that day fishing when we....

Good Job!

Upvote 0