Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat Name
2004 Sailfish 2100 Bay Boat and 1987 Cabo216
We are throwing an engagement party for my son Sunday. He requested fish tacos as one of the 3 main courses. The other two are rotisserie chicken and prime ribeye roast for french dip sandwiches. The weather was fantastic for the 10+ mile run from SD Bay. It took about an hour with stops along the way to look for other holes. We just had a block of squid for bait.

We get to the canyon area and drop two poles down with two hooks and a lb weight. My old holes were empty today with only a few small guys, I thought. To try something different I broke out a virgin sleeve of weighted flat fall jigs I bought last year for tuna. I put a whole squid on it and down it goes very slowly. On the way down at about 200' I get bit but does not stick. I drop it down again and the same thing happens. On the 3rd try while winding in as fast as I can to check the bait, I get hit hard and it sticks this time. It fought hard all the way up. Red. That's what I want to make tacos out of. I fished with the flatfalls lures until we had enough reds for the party. They always bit on the fall or a fast retrieve. With a TM with spotlock I did not move from the spot. I see a potential for using these jigs for many species of fish. I used the purple one with shiny gold on the other side. See link below. The two hooks would really hook the fish with one hook in the mouth and the other in the eye socket.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tom cindric

Tom-broke-off
Jun 17, 2015
Lake elsinore
Name
all she's got
Boat Name
22 key largo / 2670 Glacier Bay
Thanks for the great and detailed report Howie. I have also had good success with squid strips on fall falls for Reds on a party boats. I can't seem to find a rock fish to save my life on my own boat.

Upvote 0

Sailing La Reina

Almost A Member
Apr 10, 2019
San Pedro, CA
Name
Chris
Boat Name
La Reina
Big reds & lings just love this lure when it’s combined with squid & mackerel strips.
6264DCB9-F4D6-43FE-8ECD-CDBB7C767F80.jpeg

Reactions: Stakanak
Upvote 0

JimmH

Captain
Jun 23, 2003
Rancho Bernardo-San Diego
instrumentengineers.com
Name
Jimm
Boat Name
98 Grady White 228; Cobra Maurader kayak
I am looking for a Minn Kota Ripetide Ulterra with spotlock, and remote deploy,trim, and store in 72" length and 112 lb thrust right now. They are a standard way to hold onto bottom spots out here in South Carolina.

Where did you get your TM and what kind is it?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat Name
2004 Sailfish 2100 Bay Boat and 1987 Cabo216
I am looking for a Minn Kota Ripetide Ulterra with spotlock, and remote deploy,trim, and store in 72" length and 112 lb thrust right now. They are a standard way to hold onto bottom spots out here in South Carolina.

Where did you get your TM and what kind is it?

Thanks.
I've got the MK 60" Ulterra, 112 thrust. On a rough day the motor almost comes out of the water with a big steep swell. But holds the spot in any sea or wind I have experienced. A 72" is too long to fit on my boat. My bow is 25" from the water.

I bought it from an online mega dealer. Free shipping and a great replacement warranty. The Ulterra has a bad reputation of not working (3 motors). I thoroughly clean and lubricate with spray-on silica lub almost after every use, as well as keep it covered. I also hold my breath and say a prayer each time I retrieve the TM in big seas.

IMG_3067.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: onehottip
Upvote 0