Inshore La Jolla boiling YT 4/8

TommyT18

• Jun 24, 2021
    San Diego
    Name
    Thomas A
    Boat Name
    19’ Precision CC 175 Etec G1
    4-8-22 First trip of the season, we had a late start. Launched at Dana Landing at 8, bait was healthy and lively. Headed towards the Kelp, when, Just north of the MPA we caught sight of decent sized boil (2-3 dozen) Yellowtail, size, 10-20lb range from the ones we eyed. They surfaced for approx 3-5 min and dive, then resurface again within 800 yd radius for about 1 hour. Gave it all we had, surface cranks, Irons, and fly lines. Had a chase on the mint crank, but she didnt commit. wound them up around 4pm with some nice sculpin, starry, and Lingcod tacos with the fams. All in all, it was an excellent season opener with great signs of Life. Have fun out there and Tight Lines. 8-)

7037A93E-28B0-4CAF-952B-7FC4049C116E.jpeg

00666594-1C04-4409-BAC0-491A1C204085.jpeg

CB9B37BA-4F9D-4FFE-8CD9-F8803C306F79.jpeg

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Great report/info/pics. Some tasty fish. Those
    Yellows off La Jolla GOOD to hear. Now all we need is Yellows BITING off La Jolla new fishing reports here! Soon maybe.
    Lot happening in April so far it seems!!
    Glad you threw the works at them.

Upvote 0
    Jul 22, 2021
    SouthOC
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    NONE
    Good practice for things to come! Nothing like finicky yellows to remind us this is called “fishing”.

Your consolation prizes look like good eats regardless!

Reactions: TommyT18
    Upvote 0

JK155

Almost A Member
  • Nov 8, 2019
    California
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Wellcraft 18 Fisherman
    We went out yesterday 4/10. Water conditions SUUUUCKED for us in our 18cc but checked out the LJ kelp, sounder was like a christmas tree with all the bait fish while we trolled a rapala at 60-85 feet. Saw what I would call a stampede of common dolphin and seals charging toward shore from the west toward the Scripps MPA. Salvaged the morning with 2 vermillion at the canyon before my son said he was going to hurl and scooted back to Mission Bay. No real current, 100 gram colt sniper went down easily to 250 feet.

Second time dragging boat down there, first time launching from Dana Landing. Didn't get stuck in kelp this time but timing the swells into MB was a puckering moment.

Reactions: SMYLEE
    Upvote 0

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat Name
    24'custom
    We went out yesterday 4/10. Water conditions SUUUUCKED for us in our 18cc but checked out the LJ kelp, sounder was like a christmas tree with all the bait fish while we trolled a rapala at 60-85 feet. Saw what I would call a stampede of common dolphin and seals charging toward shore from the west toward the Scripps MPA. Salvaged the morning with 2 vermillion at the canyon before my son said he was going to hurl and scooted back to Mission Bay. No real current, 100 gram colt sniper went down easily to 250 feet.

Second time dragging boat down there, first time launching from Dana Landing. Didn't get stuck in kelp this time but timing the swells into MB was a puckering moment.
    Yea amB jetty gets pretty wild sometimes! Giant wave surfing at its best!

Upvote 0

Baja Belk

Long sappy fish stories.
    Sep 8, 2009
    San Diego/CA/USA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    18.5 Striper CC - Puro Grande
    I went out Saturday for a couple hours, not because conditions told me to, but my family and in-laws were at Sea World and I offered to pick them up and take them to dinner and fireworks on the bay, so I had some time to kill. South wind at 13 knots still beats Sea World with the in-laws.....

For the first time leaving MB I thought a swell was going to break on or under me. Broke inside the north jetty and was quickly peaking right in front of me. I had to scoot left and gun it to make it over. Definitely got the blood flowing.

Upvote 0

Secutor54

May 11, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    AP
    Boat Name
    None
    I went out Saturday for a couple hours, not because conditions told me to, but my family and in-laws were at Sea World and I offered to pick them up and take them to dinner and fireworks on the bay, so I had some time to kill. South wind at 13 knots still beats Sea World with the in-laws.....

For the first time leaving MB I thought a swell was going to break on or under me. Broke inside the north jetty and was quickly peaking right in front of me. I had to scoot left and gun it to make it over. Definitely got the blood flowing.
    Nope.

Upvote 0