cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
Fished La Jolla yesterday in the morning until around 1pm. Got to see some fish boil one time right next to another boat and the guys cast right on it and nothing. Metered fish a couple of times. A lot of boats out there and I never saw anyone hooked up or land a yellow.
An then the mackerel schools show up. There are birds and mackerel for just about as far as the eye can see. I was casting a small flat fall on the mackerel and was catching largish lizard fish. Mackerel too. The flat fall out fished the small crocodile on the mackerel. Mission Bay had sardines and we fished them hard but got no results of any kind.
An then we slow troll over where the kelp beds used to be. There really is no kelp. Sad. Kinda like the random panga pic I threw in for kicks...

TTTeeessstttt 012.JPG

Upvote 0

RyanErb

Love to fish!
  • Aug 7, 2012
    All over the 805
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    OnTheWater
    Why do all the books say "Find the bait and you will find the fish" and then you did that, and no game fish? Weird stuff.... kind of like that panga you found... was that yesterday too?

Upvote 0

Corndog

Landlocked
    Sep 22, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    Name
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    Why do all the books say "Find the bait and you will find the fish" and then you did that, and no game fish? Weird stuff.... kind of like that panga you found... was that yesterday too?
    They probably weren't far...just full already ;)

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
    Feb 23, 2012
    la mesa, ca
    Name
    Russell
    Boat
    Panga pic is from a different trip.

TTTeeessstttt 015.JPG

Upvote 0

cbadfisherman

Almost A Member
    Jan 26, 2015
    North County San Diego
    Name
    Bryan
    Boat
    Sinking
    So do you drive a panga? Just curious because we had a perfect drift setup away from everyone else and the fish came right up off our bow only to have someone in a panga run them right over and then try and cast back at the fish they just ran over..... Not pointing fingers but it's been a joke with people out there lately, too many people running the fish over or driving 20 knots through the area.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    Went today. Yellows did NOT have lock jaw. They were chewing macks and iron like candy. Big models, I was rocked once on 30lb and pulled the hook on another.

Bait was still thick all day.

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
    Feb 24, 2003
    East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
    Name
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    nice, and thanks. Going out tomorrow with the wifey, looking for the swimming Easter Eggs.....

Upvote 0

I'M OFF

Really off
    Jul 12, 2007
    On the deck
    Name
    Tommy
    Boat
    So do you drive a panga? Just curious because we had a perfect drift setup away from everyone else and the fish came right up off our bow only to have someone in a panga run them right over and then try and cast back at the fish they just ran over..... Not pointing fingers but it's been a joke with people out there lately, too many people running the fish over or driving 20 knots through the area.

Was it a blue and white panga with tiller controls. If it was. That kook is a idiot. Watch for him

Upvote 0

430 hp 70

Always Learning
    Aug 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA, USA
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    26' Skipjack "My Girl"
    Where did all the kelp go? I thought it used to be thick on the surface.

We were out there today. Tons of birds and mack. Didn't find any yellows. I'm still new to the area and open to any advice on where to start looking. If I'm fishing LJ it's with the wife and kids, so I don't get much time to hunt and learn.

You guys drifting or slow trolling the macks? 100ish ft of water? Over the beds, or just outside? Up north towards the canyon or further south towards the NW corner of the mlpa?

I find it hard because there is SO much activity. Its not just paddy hopping and looking for a couple terns. There are hundreds of birds and mack everywhere.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    Where did all the kelp go? I thought it used to be thick on the surface.

We were out there today. Tons of birds and mack. Didn't find any yellows. I'm still new to the area and open to any advice on where to start looking. If I'm fishing LJ it's with the wife and kids, so I don't get much time to hunt and learn.

You guys drifting or slow trolling the macks? 100ish ft of water? Over the beds, or just outside? Up north towards the canyon or further south towards the NW corner of the mlpa?

I find it hard because there is SO much activity. Its not just paddy hopping and looking for a couple terns. There are hundreds of birds and mack everywhere.
    I say get away from those huge mack/bird schools. Too much bait to get yours to the yellows. I hooked two and watched about 20 others landed by kayaks away from the parking lot. They are all good grade, 20lb+.

WARNING: 30-40lb fluoro leader and a strong hook or you will get rocked/kelped QUICK. If you have a kelp cutter rig, use it. I forgot mine at home and paid the price by losing a 35lb+ yellow.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
    HB
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Line up
    I remember it
    Love that pic. I used to fish Puerto Santo Tomas all the time when Kamel lived there. He was an awesome guide
    in the late 80's into 90's YT central !!! WSB too. In certain times. Always barn door halibut. Oh well. Got to adapt!!

Reactions: cortezpirasea
    Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
    Feb 23, 2012
    la mesa, ca
    Name
    Russell
    Boat
    I remember it

in the late 80's into 90's YT central !!! WSB too. In certain times. Always barn door halibut. Oh well. Got to adapt!!
    I fished it 3 months ago and "el reef" was loaded with yellowtail, bonita and barracuda. The yellows were eating 5 inch swimbaits like calicos!

Upvote 0

430 hp 70

Always Learning
    Aug 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA, USA
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    26' Skipjack "My Girl"
    Thanks Tanner. We're going to head out in a couple weeks when the kids are on break.

I'm not trying to steal the thread (sorry), but are you guys drifting with the dropper loop, or anchoring? Sardine sized mini-mac, or the 10" bigger guys on sabiki? Any reason to flyline in LJ or is it all on the dropper loop?

Thanks again, and sorry for butting in.

Reactions: tanner.s
    Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    Thanks Tanner. We're going to head out in a couple weeks when the kids are on break.

I'm not trying to steal the thread (sorry), but are you guys drifting with the dropper loop, or anchoring? Sardine sized mini-mac, or the 10" bigger guys on sabiki? Any reason to flyline in LJ or is it all on the dropper loop?

Thanks again, and sorry for butting in.
    It was all flyline for us. 7-10" macks on 30lb is what they are. 4/0 circles.

Reactions: 430 hp 70
    Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.