Inshore La Jolla 6/20

strk4

Oct 4, 2006
Chula Vista
Name
Mike
Boat
22'
As a tune up for my cedros trip in 10 days I took my two sons, a friend, and grandson to La Jolla for calicos. We settled in near the cove with about 20 other boats. We caught a few here and there on plastics drifting outside the kelp line We started fishing bait and was getting short bit as they weren’t committing well. Around 11:30 it turned in to the best bass bite I’ve seen in years outside of Mexico. The five of us caught well over 80 fish on bait, plastic, and iron. Yes, this does sound like BS and I hesitate even mentioning it. All the while boats were leaving the area. My grandson put on his shark hat for the photo of one of the nicer fish caught.

68863E81-BFBB-4EB1-9E6A-5D2684705A27.jpeg

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
none
That sounds like a great day, and let's be honest, that's lucky hat if I've ever seen one!! I would love to hear your report from Cedros after your trip, don't hear much from down there these days..

Reactions: mhanson59hb
Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    y grandson put on his shark hat for the photo of one of the nicer fish caught.
    Your Grandsons smile, show's how much fun, he had with you!

Upvote 0

strk4

Oct 4, 2006
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    22'
    At 80 fish I was conservative. We kept just one but probably should have kept a couple more injured fish. I was throwing a tady 45 and bit every cast. There were 3 others trying to eat the jig in another fishes mouth. I hadn’t seen fish stacked up under the boat like this since a San Quintin trip many years ago. It will probably be awhile before I see it again.

I now have to deal with a bad bearing or brakes on the trailer. One wheel got very hot. That is in chapter 27 in my 100 joys of owning a boat book.

Reactions: repo805